my teacher makes me learn how to learn how to read music (not that i want to.) i dont mind it but i dont really understand why. if someone could clear it up for me that would be great

How long notes last for - you now know exactly how long
Measures - you know them
What notes are played - you know

Theres the basic reasons....that I could think of without even thinking of why I learned how to read sheet.

Did I mention that sheet is "global"?

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Because if you ever find yourself wanting to work with other musicians it helps by not saying
"But where are the tabs??"
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

standard notation is used by every other instrument, so, if you really want to know MUSIC, you should learn it
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Because if you ever find yourself wanting to work with other musicians it helps by not saying
"But where are the tabs??"

but why did those musicians want to read music
Because at one point in time recording didn't exist, so as to pass on complex music which couldn't be summarized by one voice (folk music) they needed a system in which to make permanent their efforts. Hence, sheet music.
Why not? Learning to read sheet music never hurt anybody. Even if you never see it again, it's a good way to visualize the notes on the guitar.
It helps see the relationships and patterns in the music visually and to be able to hear them aurally.

Seeing intervals, rhythms, countours, and phrasing in visual form as well as hearing them helps a lot in learning a piece of music.

Think of it as a visual representation of the music you are playing. Tab lacks a lot of musical information that you can gain from standard notation simply by looking at it.
Si
Quote by metalxshredder
my teacher makes me learn how to learn how to read music (not that i want to.) i dont mind it but i dont really understand why. if someone could clear it up for me that would be great
Consider the largest ocean you can imagine, only instead of being filled with water, this ocean contains music. The breadth and depth of this musical ocean is fathomless. Now picture a tiny island out in the remote nothingness of this ocean. It's beautiful, but is ridiculously tiny when compared to the ocean. The ocean is music saved for all time in standard notation. The tiny island is the music saved temporarily using tabs. Do you understand now?
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
i wonder why there is such a schism when it comes to reading music...like its NOT cool...to me its like reading a book with pictures...if there are no pictures and you cant read....

if plan to play music most of your life...learn to read as soon as possible...its really not that hard to do...and some day it will bring tears of joy to you...that you learned .. every session guy i know has admitted that, although not by choice in some cases.

i still meet people that refuse to "read instructions" but rather stumble around in the dark hoping that part A will hook up with part B if they twist, turn, bend and stretch enough..

play well

wolf
it gives you alot more info then tabs can. If you know how to read music well you can play a song the way its meant to be played off the batt without looking up the actual song or anything.
Learning to read music is sort of like knowing how to read and write perfectly.

Its all correctly spelled, punctuation is perfect, its to a tee, so to speak.

(I read music but I'm not mega on it, It made me nail Substitute pefect though, so theres a good reason lol)
your a musician learn how to read music. thats like a writer who doesn't know how to read lol