For my birthday in July I bought a 1989 Epiphone SG. it was this nasty creme/white color with pickups that barley worked. I paid $170.

I bought it for the purpose of learning to build a guitar. The reasons that I didn't start from scratch are that I was scared of taking on such a big project at the time.

First I sanded the back of the neck and headstock from the white to the natural *mahogany!* I was so surprised to see a mahogany neck under all that mess!

Before

After

Next I stained the neck a darker color and lacquered it to protect it from moisture. I also added some natural binding with a metal file, my grandfather is 76 and has been a carpenter all of his life so he helped me with this. i also got to know him very well over the summer .

I got all of my hardware from Guitar fetish and it all looks really good. (except the bridge, pickguard, and also the neckplate.

And finally today i sprayed the body red, ive yet to get the lacquer on though.

.Jamison
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
very nice, i like it a lot so far. It's also good to see that you are sharing the experience with someone
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
what pups did you go with?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by .Jamison
They are from guitar fetish and they are unbranded, for $30 i dont think you can go wrong.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/whhotpafblma.html

for $30? Probably not. As far as pickups in general? Probably. But for cheap, those seem like pretty decent pups. $30 a set is just crazy.
Great pics, and great that you could do it with your Grandfather-can't wait to see the finished product. Did those vintage tuners come stock on it?
Quote by tonepro
Great pics, and great that you could do it with your Grandfather-can't wait to see the finished product. Did those vintage tuners come stock on it?

These tuners were purchased from Guitar Fetish also, Originally it had unbranded epiphone tuners that didn't get the job done, so i upgraded them to these.
Gear
Beware. There's subliminal messaging of a taco-y nature in here. After reading this thread I went to Taco Bell... twice.
Looking nice man, I love how Red SG's look.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by brcck
What wood is the body made out of?

I'm not entirely sure, but i my best bet is plywood, but it doesn't matter to me, this one is all for experience.
Gear
i am not a fan in the least. that is a perfectly good Certificate of Bravery from Taco Bell that you just painted.

however, i wanna see this guitar finished. lookin cool
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by Johansensan
i am not a fan in the least. that is a perfectly good Certificate of Bravery from Taco Bell that you just painted.

however, i wanna see this guitar finished. lookin cool

it was expired and in the recycling so I used it to cover the pickup cavities, I love taco bell, its my second favorite place to eat.
Gear
Gear
Quote by .Jamison
it was expired and in the recycling so I used it to cover the pickup cavities, I love taco bell, its my second favorite place to eat.

well then... i am slightly a fan.

tis a shame you let it expire though

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
you upgrade to guitar fetish tuners? I wouldn't really call that upgrading. GFS doesn't really sell anything that good besides their pickups
Quote by .Jamison

And your first i'm guessing is McDonalds? You're posh mate.

Lookin' good. My birthday is in july too
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by guitarcam123
you upgrade to guitar fetish tuners? I wouldn't really call that upgrading. GFS doesn't really sell anything that good besides their pickups

I have a set of ez-loc wilkinsons i bought from there and I like em. Although the first time stringing them you're probably gonna break a string or two.
Quote by eddiehimself
And your first i'm guessing is McDonalds? You're posh mate.

Lookin' good. My birthday is in july too

MY favorite place to eat is this little mom and pop mexican deal, called the Best Burrito, best damn mexican food in Missouri!
Gear
are the guitar fetish gibson tuners that bad ? are they better than stock epiphone tuners???
Quote by .Jamison
MY favorite place to eat is this little mom and pop mexican deal, called the Best Burrito, best damn mexican food in Missouri!

Someone likes their mexican! I only ever eat burritos, and even then no spices. Sorry mate
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Good job there!

I was wondering, are you sure that's an Epi? I've never seen an Epi headstock like that - even in the elite models. On first impression, I thought it might be an old Japanese SG copy that someone just put an Epi logo on.

Do you have a serial # or anything? I'm very curious about this
Hi!

Sig Retired.
^ The Epiphone logo looks like it's inlaid, not just stuck on there... My guess is that someone just reshaped the headstock.
Or, it could be that Epiphones from the vintage had that shape of headstocks.
Quote by la bamba
Good job there!

I was wondering, are you sure that's an Epi? I've never seen an Epi headstock like that - even in the elite models. On first impression, I thought it might be an old Japanese SG copy that someone just put an Epi logo on.

Do you have a serial # or anything? I'm very curious about this

positive it's an epiphone. My grandfather took one look at it and said "damn thats ugly." So we reshaped it, originally it had the stock epiphone headstock, serial number 9082097, it was destroyed when we redid the neck
Gear
Last edited by .Jamison at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Pikka Bird
^ The Epiphone logo looks like it's inlaid, not just stuck on there... My guess is that someone just reshaped the headstock.

correct it is a real inlay.
Gear
Quote by eddiehimself
Someone likes their mexican! I only ever eat burritos, and even then no spices. Sorry mate

i eat at taco bell all the time and order the same thing every time:

2-6 chicken chalupas, plain with a large baja blast mountain dew

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by savage94
are the guitar fetish gibson tuners that bad ? are they better than stock epiphone tuners???

SO far, they seem to be better, they have a nice smooth gears, they were also very easy to install. The only downside is I had to pay 5 bucks for the metric conversion kit.
Gear
Today was just another few coats of red, it's starting to really look good, the picture show no justice to the red.

Gear
Orrrrrrrange peeeeeeeel
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Are you gonna sand off the orangey bumps before you clearcoat it?

Yes I am, but they aren't true orange peels, they are much smaller.

Yes I am gonna sand them off then use some laquer and then buff it.

What would be the best way to buff it?
Gear
Quote by Johansensan
i eat at taco bell all the time and order the same thing every time:

2-6 chicken chalupas, plain with a large baja blast mountain dew

that sounds like adult onset diabetes waiting to happen.

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of T-bell, it's more nostalgia for me these days... used to eat there EVERY day in highschool.

Best mexican food I've ever had was at this place in Tempe Arizona called "The Blue Adobe." Awesome AWESOME AWESOME burritos, chimichangas and tacos. It did wreak havoc on my stomach, though. I missed a couple of cubs spring training games due to that when I was down there.
Quote by .Jamison

Oh hell yeah!!! Nice guitar man, you should bring it to practice sometime, when ya get it done.

Is that the same one you said you jacked up?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
Oh hell yeah!!! Nice guitar man, you should bring it to practice sometime, when ya get it done.

Is that the same one you said you jacked up?

ya it is, it was way messed up for awhile,finally got around to working out the problems...
Gear
This is an old thread, but I've got an '89 Epiphone SG and the body is also mahogany. So it's a good chance yours is too.