The site i'm learning it from is here: http://www.fretjam.com/fret-intervals.html

I'm learning scales from a site called Fretjam and they say that in order to find out scales yourself you need to know 'fret intervals'. I've read the page describing it but i don't quite understand it. I understood the first part. A half step is one fret up and a whole step is two frets up, and to get there on the string below you need to go 3 frets back to get a half step and 2 frets back to get a whole step. Now after that comes the section with larger fret intervals. Here is where it gets confusing for me. It has a chart with multiple notes across strings, and two of them sound the same while one sounds a bit off. Beneath it is written "2 whole steps". First off i don't quite understand what they mean with major 3rd, second i don't understand "Same note, same interval". And i don't quite understand what intervals are and what they're for.

So does anyone want to explain what intervals are, what they are for, and what they mean with those charts?
The best way to learn these are time consuming. Try this.

W-W-H-W-W-W

IT doesn't matter what Key your in. You will always have these. Example.

C-W-D-W-E-H-F-W-G-W-A-W-B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Start on C#

C#-W-D#-W-E#-H-F#-W-G#-W-A#-W-B#
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Understand how it works on the fret board.
E string

Open E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Your 3and4 will always be a Half step
Your 7and1 will always be a Half step.

It would structually look like this 1-2-34-5-6-71 No matter what.
Intervals are a measured distance from point A to point B. Every interval on the fretboard has it's own unique sounds. I suggest you practice them on your keyboard/guitar everyday and develop a relationship with each interval- so when you hear it, you recognize it.

musictheory.net is a good start.
Unison - Same note
Minor 2nd - 1 Half Step
Major 2nd - 2 Half Steps (1 whole step)
Minor 3rd - 3 Half Steps (1 whole + 1 half step)
Major 3rd (Diminished 4th) - 4 Half Steps (2 Whole steps)
Perfect 4th - 5 Half Steps (2 whole steps + 1 half step)
Tritone (Diminished 5th, Augmented 4th) - 6 Half Steps (3 whole steps)
Perfect 5th 7 Half Steps (3 whole steps+1 half step)
Minor 6th (Augmented 5th) - 8 Half Steps (4 whole steps)
Major 6th - 9 Half Steps (4 whole steps + 1 half step)
Minor 7th - 10 Half steps (5 whole steps)
Major 7th - 11 Half Steps (5 whole steps + 1 half step)
Octave 12 half steps (6 whole steps)

You'll get it with a bit of practice. Took me about a week to learn the names, but I haven't quite memorized it. (If you told me to find the minor 7th of E, I'd just go down a whole step from the octave. But I'd have to think for about 3 seconds before doing so)

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Mar 21, 2009,
The numbers are not frets they are the interval. Like W-W-H-W-W-W. These are whole steps and Half steps.v I looked at that site well they are correct but explaining it is confusing but lets try this.

E string

5th fret A would be your 1.
B would be you 2

A string

4th fret C# would be your 3
D would be your 4
E would be your 5

D string

4th fret F# would be your 6
G# would be your 7
A would be your 1 all over again.

This is your interval system. It will never change. Now the only thing that will be different is what mode you are in. Ionian is major so this system works with out flaw. Dorian now those you a curve ball. It's interval falls as such. 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7. Phrygian has a b2 b3 b6 b7. Lydian has a #4 only. Mixolydian has a b7 only. Aeolian has b3 b6 b7. Locrian has a b2 b3 b5 b6 b7. Now this is a lot to cram but listen each mode is also numbered. 1 2 34 5 6 7.
The 1st. is Major the 2nd minor. the 3rd is minor. the 4th is major. the 5 is dominant. the 6th is minor and the 7th is augmented/diminished etc. These are really good to study. It will also help you build chords.