I am a guitar and piano player. I do though tend to pick up bass guitars when I got to friend's houses. I've always had an interest in buy a bass guitar just to get it down and have it at my desposal if ever needed. But I have a few questions first:

I am a Beatles fan and I love the look of Violin Basses. But, what's the point to them, I guess is what im asking. What is their sound like? Like styles are they not that great for?

To play bass guitar, I'd prolly take the half ass route. Buy a cheap BUT quality bass instrument and decent sounding amplifier. The 3 bass choices I've kinda narrowed down to are:
The Squier Standard P-Bass
The Mike Dirnt Signature P-Bass [A little more money but much more positive reviews versus the standard]
Rogue Violin Bass [its cheap and I'm not gonna lie, I love the shape and its unquie symbolism]

AMPS: so I know nothing about decent amps for bass guitars. I'd like a small but LOUD amp that isn't real expensive. So once again, the cheap but quality thing again.

If you could help me out with this, that would be great!
Cheers!

oh ya i'd like to say in the general price range of the basses i listed above...once again, nothing real spendy!
Others may disagree, but I hate violin basses--they sound thumpy and hollow, and not in a good way. The Rogue one is really horrible and the neck is fragile as toothpicks.

If you are a P bass fan, look at the VM Precision--really nice bass.

And loud and punchy amps? Check the FAQ but Orange and Hartke would fit the bill here.
They do have the '50s Classic Vibe P, it sounds pretty cool. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Precision-50s-Bass-Guitar-?sku=519743

Ed "The Bass Whisperer" Friedland does a review of the others in the series too, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

I can't say anything about violin basses, since I've never tried one. +1 to the FAQ for amps
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Mar 21, 2009,
Yeah, violin basses (or Beatle-basses as my friends and I call em, for obvious reasons but cause they also kinda look like a beetle) give a real thumpy tone. Kinda fun for messing around acousticly cause they can project, but I've personally never been a fan of the plugged in tone.

Defenately look into the Vintage Vibe Squire P-basses. Great instruments for the price.

Look into Hartke amps. IMHO great tone at a very affordable price, even if you're looking to go half-stack. I've never had a single complaint with mine (other then sometimes it's too loud and gets the neighbors calling at 1am )

IMHO, go shop around at as many music shops as you can and try as many bass/amp combinations as you can until you find one that really stands out. Use musicians friend and harmony central etc to get a compass as far as brands to look for and find the ones that best suit what you want to do. Being a musician I'd imagine you have a general idea of the kind of tone you'd like to hear, find somthing that translates that sound from inside your head to an amp speaker.

Good luck!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
They sound very wood-y and sweet, epiphone make a viola model, and so are hofner, who are obviously famous for it.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
The loudest company for amps, IMO, for volume:size ratio would be orange. Orange amps also have a really clean tone like, you can fiddle around but your tone will always stay clear, (Unless you add distortion, )

But you might want to get a combo and i don't think orange makes combo's now D:

How much can you spend?
well my signature contains a great set up. however, I would say the CV or VM P-basses get a really nice, even thump that sounds really good on any Beatles song- it is the bass that Paul wanted at first but was too cheap to save up for.

don't get a violin bass. they are muddy, twangy, and hard to change sound wise without somebody noticing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I don't know how the Rogue copy sounds like. I know that rondomusic.com has a Hofner copy as well.
Last edited by eaton1012 at Mar 21, 2009,
There's no way you can really go wrong with a P-bass. On the other hand, violin basses are possibly some of the most uncomfortable basses I've ever played, with a less-then-ideal tone, to put it nicely.
I can attest to the Hofner Beatle bass.

The new ones, Icons and Contemporary are Horrible to say the least. However, mine is fascinating. Believe it or not, it changes tones easily, and it is the most comfortable bass I have ever played.

Though, it does have it's downsides. There is little to no growl, you can not slap on it, however the pop can sound nice at times. Violin basses I find take dedication. They are versatile (for what I do, which is fusion, jazz, funk, and alternative) and always fit the bill. But you need to really know how to use it. Its a bass that you need to know every corner of it to make it sound good.

IMHO, it isn't the best bass to start on. I started on one, seven years ago, and I have not had another bass since (though in music class I play the upright, or rarely the Fender Jazz or GSR200). It isn't ideal for starting because it takes a lot of work, and some instruments are better for starting, P bass, J bass, etc,.

Some good loud cheapish amps are the Acoustic B100, and B200 though.

EDIT: And by the way, when you get use to playing without a horn, it grows on you. Its awkward for me to play any other bass that has a horn because I'm not use to it. But that goes away quickly.
DB Player
Last edited by abornael at Mar 23, 2009,
what do you guys think of just a standard Squier P-Bass. I hear they're good for just learning on but i wanna go past that. I'll prolly perform with it and etc. is it worth it for my case?
Squier VM or CV is much more reliable, good sounding, and better feeling. I would go for that instead of the standard.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The bassist from The Damned played a Hofner violin bass, which is worth considering. Ive never really been attracted to them though: the ones Ive played have been signally uncomfortable and quite awkward from a right hand point of view. Although much more predicatble, a P-bass would serve you much better.
If you're planning on gigging with your bass, I would invest a little more and go beyond the Squier standard, to either the Vintage Modified '50s (TB), the CV, the Fender MIM Standard or MIJ '50s replica.
If you can find one, Id really recommend the Cort Action, which is a good cheap P/J bass, and I would definately highlight the second hand market, particularly if you're looking for Fenders or if you want a bit more to spend on your amp.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by anarkee
Others may disagree, but I hate violin basses--they sound thumpy and hollow, and not in a good way.

I know, right? As well as SG basses.
Quote by the_underling
The bassist from The Damned played a Hofner violin bass,

Which one? The Damned had no less than 7 bass players, including at one point, I swear to goodness, Lemmy of Motorhead fame.
Quote by Squirrel1993
what do you guys think of just a standard Squier P-Bass. I hear they're good for just learning on but i wanna go past that. I'll prolly perform with it and etc. is it worth it for my case?

Check out the Squire vintage vibe series. They're pretty cheap (MSRP around $450) and they're built solid with very decent tone.

IMHO if you eventually intend to perform with it, go get yourself somthing you can perform with. You can get some good deals, but if you cheap out too much you'll just be in the same bass-buying boat when it comes time to hit the stage.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play