Page 1 of 2
ok starting my gretsch firebird build,will cut out body this morning,and rout out inside today

will have tune o matic bridge,1 filtertron bridge,1 vol ,1 tone,
with middle and neck pickup area routed out so i can modify this build when i have money,the plan is for it to look like malcolm youngs
will have white then black and white binding
set neck no inlays ebony fretboard,mahogany ,cream binding on neck and headstock
mahogany back and sides,maple venner top
body will be finished with high gloss urethane
heres pics of the wood plan and neck and the guitar is based on

WOOD HAS CHANGED READ OTHER POSTS TO SEE I GOT A NEW BODY AND NICE MAPLE,Now a set neck

this is my second guitar build so i kinda know what im doing
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Apr 25, 2009,
wicked bro
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Awesome possum.
Looking pretty rad so far.
You don't see many Gretsch Firebird builds around that much; great to have some variety.
Great choice of build.
cool I dont much care for the bolt on neck but W.E.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
going to get it sanded tomorrow as it was cut out today, and will hollow it on thursday or next saturday the neck pocket has it extra bit their that needs to be cut off but left it there for now

i know im not up to this stage but anyone got any ideas how to do 3 layers of binding and what glue to use thanks?
what do you mean? like glue on layer next to eachother so it has black - white - black or something?

Loving the build. I was only thinking the other day about building one of these
Quote by guitarcam123
what do you mean? like glue on layer next to eachother so it has black - white - black or something?

Loving the build. I was only thinking the other day about building one of these

Yip ,thats what i think they do on guitars,isnt it?

and thanks gonna take it to get sanded on monday,have pics then and when its hollowed out.also my filtertron bridge is finally in the mail,
is the pickup coming the same type to what he has in there now?

Just some ordinary glue should do it, i really don't know... whatever glue you use to glue it into the cavity i guess
Quote by guitarcam123
is the pickup coming the same type to what he has in there now?

Just some ordinary glue should do it, i really don't know... whatever glue you use to glue it into the cavity i guess

yes ,i am using an gretsch filtertron bridge i ordered ,from a gretsch parts place,as i had to get them online from the u.s ,because nobody in new zealand has them unless i want to buy a grestch and i cant afford to do that,there was and option of buying a filtertron copy from kent armstrong pickups ,but i wanted the real gretsch thing.

also anybody know how malcolm has his bridge pickup in there as he removed the pickup ring im guessing it's just screwed into the wood or something?

so theres no special glue for binding?
CREAM,BLACK,CREAM Binding,COPPER Sheilding tape,Gibson style strap locks (out of schaller),1 Filtertron Bridge,2 500k pots,1 input+input plate,1 Capicitor

anyway with the copper sheilding tape do i completely tape up the cavities or just on the back of the covers?

will be finished in the next 2 1/2 weeks with gloss urethane the stuff gretsch uses and possibly walnut stain on back and sides,so stay tuned
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Apr 2, 2009,
mad stuff!!!

Im building a Stratocaster and finishing off a Tele il post them up soon.
Quote by Roast Beef
Ha, tbh your body blank looks just as nice as the veneer you got

Cool idea though

i know the veneer looks grotty and like puke,but it'l look good when finished i hope,but it's sorta gonna have the beaten around kinda look i think
More nzers!
Yay!
Good old NZ, wellington for the win.
Nice job so far man
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
where do you plan on getting all your parts from? That NZ guitar supplies on the net seems pretty good
Woot Christchurch!

Chur Chur.
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
The Colombo st. Music Works had a set of nickel Schallers when I last went. Reasonable price too.
build's off atleast unitl i get a new mahogany blank,the body looks extremely un-syemtrical ,as you might be able to see in the pics,gonna get a new template and start over

i have c.o.d compulsive whatever you know it.and i cant live with spending all the money on it and it turn out looking like ****
Quote by guitarcam123

how long till you get another one?

2-4 days will get one on monday or tuesday ,kinda happy about it though cause now i can get one at the actual thickness of a gretsch so with the filtertron i can hopefully get that great gretsch sound
ok this builds taking a turn, the mahogany i get should be here soon it's the actual thickness of a gretsch now,but it's two piece,im gonna contact a guitar builder in my area to arrange if i could get some nice veneer or solid maple for the top ,and possibly carve it ,so it will have a carved top,the venner on the first page is horrible and wont look nice,and i'll take a picture of all the parts soon as they have arrived
pics of new body

it's perfect ,well not exactly but its how i like it
37mm thick will have a top that im going to find to make it 40mm the thickness of a proper gretsch.possible carved top if i know how

also dont ask me why that stupid twitter thing keeps popping up it has something to do with imageshack i think
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Apr 9, 2009,

the guitar gets hollowed out tomorrow for sure,and will add more pics all so what sort of oil finish should i use on the mahogany or should i gloss urethane it like gretsch?
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Apr 9, 2009,
Very smooth cutting and edges there, I like it.
I can't wait for you to keep this going.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I can't wait to see more.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Looking absolutely excellent so far my friend.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Page 1 of 2