Free upgrades for people who purchased vista from January 2009 onwards
35 11%
Free upgrades for people who purchased vista at any time
166 54%
No free upgrades whatsoever
84 28%
Voters: 305.
Page 1 of 6
Ok, I'm f*cking angry with microsoft these days, more so than usual. I bought a new computer recently as my old one got stolen. It's quite a good computer and it came with Windows Vista Home Premium, as I felt I might as well finally switch to the new OS as it's been patched and there is generally more support for it now. I must say, since the release of service pack 1, Vista is quite good; it runs smoothly, all the basic functions work fine, and by turning off all the silly little extra bells and whistles I actually don't suffer any major performance issues (though my computer's grunt is mostly to thank for that).

But now, not even two and a half years after Vista was released, Microsoft are talking about releasing Windows 7. XP lasted over 4 years before Vista came out, and now Vista hasn't lasted 3. I understand this because apparently 7 is quite good, better than Vista, and is being dubbed "what Vista should have been", so I'm all for the release of what is finally a good, new OS.

EXCEPT, Microsoft are only offering free upgrades (to equating versions and bit formats) to people who buy Vista-loaded computers after July this year. WHAT THE F*CK?!? They've been talking about Windows 7 all year and announced the upgrade program a month ago, but people like me who went ahead and got Vista to support Microsoft's new software get burned and told we're not eligible.

That's such bullsh*t, anyone who bought a computer loaded with Vista anytime this year should be eligible for a free upgrade as Windows 7 isn't even considered a completely different OS; it's based on Vista's code. This is just another way for Microsoft to manipulate the market and sh*t on all the people that eventually bought their crappier OS to support them, it makes me furious. Discuss your opinions on the matter here.
I hope I offer solace in the fact they'll have to put up with early versions of window 7.
MASSIVE TEXT
k koo
Yoda i be!

Quote by lzrdsixsix6
its so much funner doing it with friends tho...........like masturbation

Quote by GrayFoxz
With your post, the pit has its rightful name - the pit, the most lowest place on earth, after a 100 feet of earth and 200 feet of sh|t .
Do you really need Windows 7? no...
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Vista is awesome.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Windows 7 - Fancy Windows Vista.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by Gregray88
Wow, Microsoft is just giving everyone more reason to go Mac.

I really don't think they are, you know. Because the fact of the matter is, there is no reason to go mac.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I really don't think they are, you know. Because the fact of the matter is, there is no reason to go mac.

Music production.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by idahoimmortal
Music production.

My music production is fine as it is, thankyou very much.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Last edited by FloyDZeD at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by rabidguitarist

XP > All
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by rabidguitarist

And I have no reason to go to a Windows. Both companies are flawed, but I'm happy with my Mac for the time being.

And, TS, why should you "get any thanks?" Windows has enough users to be able to not give a crap about you.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by 100Roy001

Mate, garageband is for kids. It's like fucking MS paint.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
I paid exactly the same amount of money for my Vista btw. Hell, I did for XP too. Neither one of them was free. What makes you more worthy of an upgrade because you waited?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
I will be using XP until no more software is able to be used with it. Even then I will keep it to remember just how much it kicks ass.
they don't have to give ANYONE a free upgrade if they don't want to.

I bought my laptop with Vista last year, and i don't think i deserve a free upgrade. I'm happy with Vista to be honest. Even if i just bought it i wouldn't care if I didn't get a free upgrade.
i could care less about your bitching
if they weren't offering it free to other people you probly wouldn't care
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by TonalPerfection
Unlucky for you then. Life sucks, get over it..
EDIT: Shoulnd't this be a blog?

I'm intending for people to discuss this, so no. Plus no one would read it there.
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Quote by Super Cracker
Or anything have to do with entertainment or media really.

It's just an operating system, you know. It doesn't really do anything magical.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by daytripper75
they don't have to give ANYONE a free upgrade if they don't want to.

I bought my laptop with Vista last year, and i don't think i deserve a free upgrade. I'm happy with Vista to be honest. Even if i just bought it i wouldn't care if I didn't get a free upgrade.

I know they can do whatever they want, but what I'm saying is they're no repaying the loyalty of those that bought and stuck with the OS that they tried so desperately to sell. We didn't use it because we liked it, we used it because we were hoping to support it so it would get better, and what makes me angry is that they clearly don't give a rat's ass about that.
Quote by bulldozerbob
I still use XP

Am I whining?

No

You will be after they completely stop supporting it when Windows 7 comes out. Maybe not at first, but when you discover how many holes Windows operating systems have you'll realise without support, they simply whither and die in the face of newer and newer technologies that they're forced to take on.
Quote by Karvid
And I have no reason to go to a Windows. Both companies are flawed, but I'm happy with my Mac for the time being.

And, TS, why should you "get any thanks?" Windows has enough users to be able to not give a crap about you.

Do you think it's just me that's going to be shat on by this scheme? There would be thousands and thousands of people in my position, which might only be a few percent of the market, but for f*ck's sake, all it would take is some tweaking to the scheme and things could be more fair. Like it or not, we were expected to deal with their sh*tty product and now we're given a fix but told to pay through the nose for it. I'm sorry, but that's not on.

Quote by justinb904
i could care less about your bitching
if they weren't offering it free to other people you probly wouldn't care

I would actually, because that would be worse. The fact of the matter is they're offering the free upgrade AFTER Windows 7 gets released. What the hell is the point in that? They're not even really offering it free to anyone when you think about it that way. I posted this thread so that people could discuss this but clearly everyone is so brainwashed by Microsoft that they believe they are obligated to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars on increasingly frequent occasions just to get basic software that works, from a company that already charges more than it should.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
You will be after they completely stop supporting it when Windows 7 comes out. Maybe not at first, but when you discover how many holes Windows operating systems have you'll realise without support, they simply whither and die in the face of newer and newer technologies that they're forced to take on.

Then I'll get Windows 7

But not yet
use linux, like everyone else who knows anything about computers.
Call me Jack
I actually can't believe I'm the only person not stupid enough to realise where this is going. Soon they're be releasing new operating systems every year and charging US$200 for it. They're charging more and more for what is fundamentally basic software, which is often flawed and deserves long-term support and maintenance to bring it up to scratch, and expecting us to buy the new software each time it's released, enforcing this by reducing forward-compatibility. But no one gives a sh*t, despite the economic situation, because "they're entitled to do it".

According to Nazi policies during the 1940's, Hitler was "entitled" to commit partial genocide. Being "entitled" to do something doesn't mean sh*t.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I actually can't believe I'm the only person not stupid enough to realise where this is going. Soon they're be releasing new operating systems every year and charging US$200 for it. They're charging more and more for what is fundamentally basic software, which is often flawed and deserves long-term support and maintenance to bring it up to scratch, and expecting us to buy the new software each time it's released, enforcing this by reducing forward-compatibility. But no one gives a sh*t, despite the economic situation, because "they're entitled to do it".

According to Nazi policies during the 1940's, Hitler was "entitled" to commit partial genocide. Being "entitled" to do something doesn't mean sh*t.

Some more cheese to go with the whine:

Funny you should bring up nazis and somehow relating them to microsoft. You'd be the jew since you're so greedy.

(cwhatididthar?)
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182

Hey,

You don't have to buy it

>_>

<_<