Ok, im sure everyone know how hard it is to get Brazilian Mahogany now so Im looking at Sapele to use as a substitute. I've never used it before, whats the pros and cons of Sapele?
I've only used it once, but it seems quite easy to shape, and after carving the contours (jazz bass body), they required little sanding before they where perfect. it does look a bit orange though.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Ok, im sure everyone know how hard it is to get Brazilian Mahogany now so Im looking at Sapele to use as a substitute. I've never used it before, whats the pros and cons of Sapele?

Did you see my "Got Wood" thread?

10 year old South African Mahogany, Khaya I think. LP saw it.

I can get some for you if you wish?

Boards are 12W 2D by 7ft
I think its coarser weaker and less stable

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^I don't think it feels any coarser to my hands (I'm sitting with that sapele body blank of mine right here), it's just that the grain runs in one direction for a while and then there are broad streaks where it runs the other way, and it seems to be more prone to some fuzzing and tear-out on the lines between those criss-crossed grain sections. And the end grain looks pretty fine (as in "not coarse) to me.
Apparently, Google tells me that (believing my wood to be Khaya, though LP wasn't clear on that.)

Khaya Ivorensis
SOURCE: Tropical Africa and Madagascar
COLOURS: Khaya Mahogany is light pink to medium brown to red brown
CHARACTER: Khaya Mahogany is superior in strength to Sapele Mahogany. Moderate coarse texture. Interlocked, sometimes straight. Interlocked grain produces a striped figure on quartersawn surfaces
TONAL: Khaya Mahogany is warm and clear with good balance

http://www.ellisguitars.com/KhayaMahogany.html
Imho, i prefer sapele to Brazilian
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I've only played a sapele guitar once, it was a Carlos Robelli at sam ash back when I was shopping for an acoustic... and I was EXTREMELY impressed with its tones. It had a spruce top with sapele back and sides and I found that it sounded better, to my ears at least, than most other mahogoney backed acoustics. It was a little brighter and snappier, but still had that good "jumbo" sound to it. But, I still found better sounding mahogony guitars, actually ended up getting one of those better mahogony guitars.

I'm suprised sapele isn't used more frequently, after playing that thing.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by LP Addict
what i stated about sapele is a fact, ive made about 5 guitars with it. **** polishes up to a reflection if you oil finish it, harder, more stable, and heavier than mahogany.

Oh GOD! No, don't think I was trying to usurp your opinion...I would not dream of it.

Besides, you are talking about Sepele and I am tossing my Khaya into the soup...

I was just trying to work out, and explain what I have to JSC, because if he wanted some and was happy to trade something nice, I can get him about 140 feet of it if he wants
Quote by LP Addict
carlo robelli = plywood back and sides, therefore that is an invalid argument.

really, I could'a sworn this one was all solid. My bad, then. But, laminate back/sides on acoustic do impact tone. I played a hell of a lot of acoustic with laminate and solid back and sides and you can hear the differences between mahogoney, RW and maple laminate back and sides. You can also hear the difference between solid and laminate sides, too.

In anycase, even if this thing did have a laminate back and sides, it still sounded fantastic.
Quote by LP Addict
laminate back and sides do effect tone, but whats most important is the soundboard.

That's the truth, for sure. I wouldn't discount my opinion of Sapele sounding good just because my experience with it may have been a laminate model. A/B'ing it next to all the other's, I noticed it sounded better than most other mahogoney backed guitars I was trying, even solid back and sides.
Quote by LP Addict
laminate back and sides do effect tone, but whats most important is the soundboard.

Agreed, I find I like Sitka spruce better than red cedar, but of the guitars I've played that were engelmann spruce were the best sounding.

Cedar is a bit less defined than Sitka but it's warmer sounding. Sitka is a bit more clean and sterile sounding, to my ears. Engelmann is in between, I like it the best.

Anyway... Sapele looks better to my eyes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.