hi i have a PRS SE Custom that i have had for about 9 months. By this time I have already noticed that its needs retuning very frequently as PRS put very cheap tuners on it. I was looking into locking tuners and I found some very nice tuners for about $60.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-AutoTrim-Tuning-Machines3-Per-Side?sku=361451

but i was wondering if there were any other measures I could take to ensure that the guitar stays in tune, because I need to make sure it stays in tune before I start gigging with this guitar. thanks for the help
Locking tuners would be your best bet, but make sure to stretch your strings before you put them on, also make sure the bolt/s at the base of the peg are very tight.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Does it have a trem or not?

If it has a trem, you definitely need locking tuners.

You may want to try just putting graphite in the string slots on the nut. It pretty much does the same job as a graphite nut, and you'll be able to see if that's your problem, in case you want to buy a graphite nut later.

But, either way, locking tuners are never a bad thing to have on your guitar.

Your tuning technique could help to, remember to always tune up to the note. As opposed to tuning down to the note.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
Quote by DeathMask
Does it have a trem or not?

If it has a trem, you definitely need locking tuners.

You may want to try just putting graphite in the string slots on the nut. It pretty much does the same job as a graphite nut, and you'll be able to see if that's your problem, in case you want to buy a graphite nut later.

But, either way, locking tuners are never a bad thing to have on your guitar.

Your tuning technique could help to, remember to always tune up to the note. As opposed to tuning down to the note.

yeah its a trem version, and i always tune up to a note. for the graphite, i just rub a pencil in the nut?
I just used a mechanical pencil to "graphite" my nuts. (does that sound funny to anyone else?!)

In anycase, if it's got a trem on it, you may need to tighten the trem claw in the back to ensure that the bridge isn't moving on it. I usually put 5 springs in my strats, then bury the trem claw as deep as it'll go.

Also, how are you winding the strings at the tuning pegs? I've NEVER replaced a single tuner in my life and I've never had tuning problems. I thought I did need to replace my tuners at one point, but... turned out I wasn't stringing my guitars up right.

edit: ok, that's not entirely true. My Les Paul has aftermarket tuners, but I bought it that way. I can't attest to whether or not the stock epi LP tuners from the 90's wouldn't slip out of tune. But, all my other guitars: stock tuners.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 21, 2009,
Pencils work great, that's what I use.
But you really should get locking tuners, no matter what. It's a really good investment.
I haven't heard a lot about the planet waves tuners, and haven't used them myself, but the reviews seem to be good.

EDIT:
Quote by Thomme
I just used a mechanical pencil to "graphite" my nuts. (does that sound funny to anyone else?!)

At least you don't say that you 'lubricate your nuts' like I do.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Last edited by Emoishboy at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by Emoishboy
Pencils work great, that's what I use.
But you really should get locking tuners, no matter what. It's a really good investment.
I haven't heard a lot about the planet waves tuners, and haven't used them myself, but the reviews seem to be good.

EDIT:

At least you don't say that you 'lubricate your nuts' like I do.

wait... I just got the double meaning... I actually meant using the word "graphite" as a verb as being funny sounding. Now I'm amused.

I don't get the point of locking tuners on most guitars. It makes sense with a FR or similarly equipped guitar, but... I'll be damned if I see the point on anything else. Tuners themselves usually aren't the cause of a guitar going out of tune, it's usually strings stretching or getting caught in the nut while you're tuning.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.