i am a lefty who wants to lean banjo. now, is it worth it to hunt down a lefty handed banjo or should i just buy a four string and flip the strings around?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
if you are really serious, just buy a lefty banjo. if you just want a four string, it might be cheaper to buy righty and flip
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
if you are really serious, just buy a lefty banjo. if you just want a four string, it might be cheaper to buy righty and flip

well, i'm asking if it would be worth hunting down a five stringer. what are the advantages to having that 5th string?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
i am a lefty who wants to lean banjo lessons. now, is it worth it to hunt down a lefty handed banjo or should i just buy a four string and flip the strings around?

I also want to learn how to play banjo and a left handed as well. I guess like playing a guitar, I'll just buy a right and learn how to play it that way.
Last edited by ndrewoods at Sep 11, 2011,
With the 5th string, you will need to buy one left handed. I'm afraid that because of the positioning of the 5th string, flipping it is highly problematic if not impossible. A tenor banjo will be easy to flip.

left handed 5 stringers are now quite easy to get hold of, particularly from Gold Tone if I remember correctly.

As for learning right handed - I don't recommend it. You need massive finger dexterity in your picking hand with banjo, and using your weaker hand to pick isn't as worthwhile as it is on guitar: playing righty with guitar, your strong hand gets fretboard work, and this makes it a bit easier. With banjo, the fretting hand does not get much exercise compared to guitar.

For these reasons, I recommend you get a left handed banjo.

Quote by Jhachey22
well, i'm asking if it would be worth hunting down a five stringer. what are the advantages to having that 5th string?

5 stringers are the sort of banjos you hear bluegrass played on, as well as the more prominent type in mainstream culture. It can be used for lead lines, picking, and soloing. 4 stringers are more for rhythm playing, and rarely much more. I hardly ever hear 4 string solos. It will bore you unless you enjoy playing basic rhythms, though soloing does happen.

Also, the Scrubs theme tune, Bonnie and Clyde, and Dueling Banjos are all on 5 stringers. That should be reason enough.

There's a reason I am called Banjocal
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 9, 2011,