Page 1 of 2
People say they do. I saw a Marshall MG100DFX for $150 for sale. And it's basically a steal. Should I buy it?
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
It's all personal preference, really.

I found no good in the MG's other than a small practice amp that I'd use when there is no need have any good tone at all. The clean and OD are both shoddy, in my opinion. Although, the cleans are marginally better than the Line 6 Spider series... with some reverb.

oh, and +1 to PollyWntsCrack
Quote by Xanron
People say they do. I saw a Marshall MG100DFX for $150 for sale. And it's basically a steal. Should I buy it?

They aren't terrible if you can find them used. Just keep in mind that the distortion sucks on all of them. When I first started playing guitar in a serious band I got the whole stack for less than what the half stack sells for new. Worked out great because I left one cab at home and one at practice...less to lug around. Usually you can do better for the money, but if you use a decent stompbox and/or EQ for your distortion, a used one isn't always such a bad idea. I knew I wouldn't be able to re-sell mine because everybody hates these amps...but its nice to have a SS head for a backup.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 21, 2009,
NO ITS NOT A STEAL, ITS A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

why must we have 10000 MG threads daily, can't you people get the hint? christ...

save your money and buy something decent
Quote by danecave13
NO ITS NOT A STEAL, ITS A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

why must we have 10000 MG threads daily, can't you people get the hint? christ...

save your money and buy something decent

We? Feb 09 makes you a part of we?

Don't do it, man. It's on clearance cause new ones are coming out. They really are bad, and buying a 100 is just dumb.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
most of us have, some are just bandwagoners...

I personally have played every MG model, and they are all ****e....except maybe as practice amps, due to the lack of need for good tone.....

live....i would never.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by davedoom
$150 would be seen better in a bank account...

This.

Don't waste money on it. They actually are as bad as people say.

IMO the MGs are the worst amps (15 watts and up) on the market today.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
So what Marshall amp would you guys reccomend for a hard rock sound, maybe some metal here & there. Are there any with built in distortion & overdrive?
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
oh god...why does it have to be marshall?

what is your budget?
Quote by wooftang999
a JCM, dunno which model tho, and it'll be tube so it'll make good distortion haha

sigged
Quote by danecave13

why must we have 10000 MG threads daily

Its easy- People go to Guitar Center, see a wall of MG's and think- Wow look at all the "Marshalls" here- when really theyre not the Marshall they think they are. The good Marshalls may have 1 or 2 heads/combos in stock at the store and are extremely expensive, leaving people to think these must be DECENT amps, not top of the line like the expensive ones like the couple they had in stock at the store
Last edited by bigfoamfinger at Mar 21, 2009,
naa, not that bad, just overpriced, if your getting it cheap you might as well, there are few good practice amps in my opinion
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
naa, not that bad, just overpriced, if your getting it cheap you might as well, there are few good practice amps in my opinion

again.... $150 would be better off in his bank account....

seriously, if you want it as a practice amp, spend less and get a smaller model....if you want it for gigs....spend more and get a decent tube combo or halfer.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
sigged

i know it's badly worded and it makes me sound like a jerk, but i'm really not that retarded, i was just trying to think of a goodish cheapish marshall thought of the JCM800s (i dont know **** bout marshalls im saving for a laney) then i rmemebered stuff like JCM200s didnt know the difference so tried help

then i retardedly tried to explain quickly how tubes give you (in my opinion) better breakup than from SS. But yeah ive got to work on not sounding like a jerk

cheers
Quote by Brendan.Clace
oh god...why does it have to be marshall?

what is your budget?

Reccomend whatever you want, it'll be nice if it was cheap & good, but if it's good & costs more thats okay too. The reason I want Marshalls is because they sound great with my Les Paul.
Quote by Xanron
Reccomend whatever you want, it'll be nice if it was cheap & good, but if it's good & costs more thats okay too. The reason I want Marshalls is because they sound great with my Les Paul.

What do you play?
You say "if it costs more"... so a $3000 isn't too unreasonable?

If you need something under $300 for metal, you're limited...new. With $500, you can buy a few decent amps new, and a few better amps used.
for that money you could get a Crate v18 which is a wayyy better amp, anything above the 15 watter in the MG series shouldn't exist its as simple as that.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Xanron
The reason I want Marshalls is because they sound great with my Les Paul.

the most i can muster when i read this...is wow.
Quote by Xanron

Are you sure about that? The other day I tried a Les Paul through a Mesa Stiletto and it sounded better than any Marshall I've played through.

Don't limit yourself to Marshall based off of the name. PLEASE.
I bought marshall MG30 because of the name......It put me off marshall for good
Quote by Brendan.Clace

He wants a Marshall. Whats wrong with that? Marshalls are great if you get a good one.
Quote by bigfoamfinger
He wants a Marshall. Whats wrong with that? Marshalls are great if you get a good one.

the only thing is, good marshall's cost a lot.
Quote by Ghold125
the only thing is, good marshall's cost a lot.

Very true. Thats why you buy used
how about a traynor then?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Brendan.Clace

You do a good job at making people sound stupid, but if you reccomend an amp that sounds good with a Les Paul for Hard Rock & some metal that'll be great. My Marshall MG10CD is starting to piss me off.
Quote by bigfoamfinger

i didnt say there was anything wrong with marshall....did I?

no, i commented on the fact that he wants a marshall because he owns a les paul....thats the worst theory ever. And if you read the whole thread, you would know that he is buying marshall for the name and again, because he has a les paul. that is horribly flawed logic. don't get me wrong, lots of the best music was made with that combination, but not ALL music was.

someone commented after that agreeing with me.

EDIT:

Xanron, there are LOTS of good amps out there for those genres. The guitar makes much less of a difference on your tone than most people think. Do you have a budget in mind? Amps get more expensive the better they are. Marshall was a good name about 10+ years ago, recently, not so much. In fact, people are now building custom amps based on modified versions of the original marshalls....

There are quite a few brands out there worth checking out.

Mesa/Boogie
Orange
Framus
Older marshalls

and the list goes on.....

If you really want a marshall that badly, I would check out a JCM 800. Although, you say hard rock and metal....but what kind...like...any specific bands similar?
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Mar 21, 2009,
If you had an MG10, then why were you looking at an MG100?

What kind of hard rock? Give some examples of songs and we'll be able to help you more.

EDIT: I completely agree with Brendan Clace.
Last edited by BGSM at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by Xanron
You do a good job at making people sound stupid, but if you reccomend an amp that sounds good with a Les Paul for Hard Rock & some metal that'll be great. My Marshall MG10CD is starting to piss me off.

...so, what is your budget and what kinds of music do you play, for the thousandth time?
marshall recently brought out a new version of the MG which is an all round better amp - still not great, but not bad either.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Brendan.Clace

If you really want a marshall that badly, I would check out a JCM 800. Although, you say hard rock and metal....but what kind...like...any specific bands similar?

sorry for keeping going on but didint you actually laugh at me for recommending a JCM
Quote by BGSM
If you had an MG10, then why were you looking at an MG100?

What kind of hard rock? Give some examples of songs and we'll be able to help you more.

I thought that the reason my MG10 sucks is because it does not have alot of knobs to mess around with & get a good sound, the MG100 has alot more, so I thought I'll be able to get a good sound wit that instead. And about the hard rock, I'm gussing a nice, distorted The Darkness type of sound & some Metallica too. If that helps.
Page 1 of 2