Hey, I wrote down all the bands I thought of maybe/not sure of learning on guitar, but the thing is theres so many of them that it feels overwhelming, but still I want to learn them. But, I also want to progressive further as a musican to start composing my own songs/riffs and start playing with other musicians. So, how can I sort out the bands that I want to learn from the ones I dont really have to learn? Oh yeah, also it would be even more helpful to hear from you guys to give your opinions on what bands are "note worthy" of learning too and so on. So to give you the idea of the bands I have in mind but not all so sure of here they are maybe to give an idea of what Im talking about.
* If any clarifying needs to be done, just ask me

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Metallica
Megadeth
Jimi Hendrix
Slayer
Testament
Exodus
Suicidal Tendencies
Suffocation
Cannibal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Napalm Death
Death
Kiss
Van Halen
Cryptic Slaughter
AC/DC
Kreator
Destruction
Bad Brains
Ramones
Misfits
Black Flag
BB King
Cro Mags
Sepultura
Discharge
Cryptopsy
ZZ Top
Crowbar
Obituary
Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
Alice in Chains
In Flames
Avenged Sevenfold
Black Dahlia Murder
Agnostic Front
Exhorder
Venom
Black Label Society
Murphys Law
Trivium
Bob Marley
Immolation
Dying Fetus
Baphomet
Yngwie Malmsteen
Thin Lizzy
Minor Threat
Social Distortion
Crowbar
Deicide
Bolt Thrower
Gorguts
Frank Zappa
Ted Nugent
The Adicts
GBH
Exploited
Pink Floyd
Police/Sting
Eric Clapton/Cream
Dead Kennedys
Possessed
Malevolent Creation
Dark Angel
Death Angel
Entombed
Rush
Dismember
Exciter
Carnivore
Opeth
Chuck Berry
Alice Cooper
Andrew WK
Dissection
Atheist
Circle Jerks
Melvins
Kansas
Tony MacAlpine
Armored Saint
Dokken
Aerosmith
Los Lobos
Ratt
Foo Fighters
Journey
UFO
Scorpions
Accept
Cacophony
Children of Bodom
Nirvana
Stormtroopers of Death
DRI
TSOL
Bullet for my Valentine
Silent Civilian
Killswitch Engage
Queen
Buddy Guy
Sodom
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Dio
Carcass
Obituary
At The Gates
Overkill
Vio-lence
Santana
Def Leppard
Cynic
Skid Row
Warrant
Joe Satriani
Lynard Skynard
Steppenwolf
Beatles
Lamb of God
Decrepit Birth
Necrophagist
Devourment?
Last edited by swordsman14 at Mar 21, 2009,
If you like all of those bands, then just go and try your best to learn your favorite songs from them?

Otherwise, just go by difficulty/style/whether or not band x uses a 7 strings/etc. OH and stick with certain tunings. Don't be like I was with my acoustic and go from E Standard to Drop C to Drop D to C Standard to Drop BE... etc. I'd stick with learning all the standard E (or whatever your guitar is normally tuned to) songs first, and then learning the different tunings.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Last edited by Nico the Great at Mar 21, 2009,
Just learn songs you like. There's the most simple way of putting it. You don't need a list of bands that you need to learn, cause yeah. Just learn songs you want to, or your favs.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
What bands you learn to play songs by depends purely on what you want to play the most and what skill level you are at. Also consider guitar tunings when you look at tabs for these bands.
Well, there's actually a lot of bands I put down in there to I dont really listen to but I appreciate its music, but Im still uncertain so... I just feel like its going to take forever to learn a lot of this stuff but still keep on posting more help and also give your opinions on learning some of these bands, maybe it could help me so how.

Thanks

Oh yeah, also the deadline I set to learn many of these bands was till Sept. 2010, by 2010 I also want to start composing my own stuff and jamming with other musicians so...
Last edited by swordsman14 at Mar 21, 2009,
You really don't need a list. Don't make it a chore to learn to play. Play whatever you want to play whenever you want to. Just choose something easy to start off with. Try to play harder stuff when you want to, but don't push yourself too hard and more importantly don't get frustrated if you can't play everything you want to play.
I admire your tenacity and Lord knows your list is exceedingly comprehensive. I also think all of the previous posters have made some great points.

Your list includes some of the greatest guitarists of all time. The reality though is that 99% of us will never attain the skill levels of all those greats. That in no way means you should not set goals or strive to become the best guitarist you can be. It simply means that you should play guitar because you love to. Whether that means you can shred like Vai or Satriani or you can achieve the melodic genious of Gilmour, Page or Clapton really doesnt matter. The only thing that matters is that you find enjoyment everytime you pick up a guitar.

Relax, have a great time, dont pressure yourself and simply play because you love it.

Best of luck...keep on rockin !!
UG's Tab section here has a list of the top 100 tabs. Some of those are good ones to start out with. Some are very tough so avoid those at first, but others a great

As far as that list, maybe pick 1 song by each of those bands and take 1 week to learn 1 song at a time. Focus only on that song for the week (aside from your other practicing). They key is patience and playing slow at first. Within a year or so you will have them all mastered
Wow I love pretty much all of them. The more bluesy ones are good to learn coz you have to think a lot more about what you're doing (such as timing and theoretical stuff), and you learn more from playing SRV and BB King than you do from Cannibal Corpse, but still learn the metal, for those techniques they use. I have no idea how skilled you are but if you're not really advanced Yngwie Malmsteen, Van Halen and even some of GNR is a lot harder than say the beatles or Led Zeppelin. (no sh*t lol) just learn what you want to learn though, and to improve technique practice scales, chords, arpeggios, site reading (instead of tabs), 12bars, etc
why not start composing your own stuff now? you can sit down for 5 minutes and right something good. my first riff was when I had my guitar for only 5 days, not including one a couple I wrote on my sisters piano before I got a guitar, that first riff is still my best too.
you need to ask yourself what is the goal to learning all these songs. is it to become more technically proficient, learn the style, etc. this should help you decide songs to start with and what to work toward. once you learn songs like this, youll know what areas of your playing you are lacking in and what you need to improve. utlimately, you need to pick songs that you really like and are into the most - you'll actually want to learn it that way. if any area of these songs is hard for you, you know what to work on to advance yourself.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)