i was thinkin' about buying a used peavey 5150 2x12 at my local music store. i have a digitech rp200 multi fx and plan on using it just for its noise gate and to add chorus for when i do leads; has anyone done something like this? using a multifx's noise gate turning all the amp modeling off on their tube amp? (i assume people have but im just curious as to how well it works)

i say this because i don't have the money to buy a chorus, tuner, noise gate etc. and personally don't want to because i'd rather not lug a bunch of individual pedals around.
It will suck the tone and life right out of your amp. It is best to get each individually and run it like that.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
how much will it kill my tone in comparison to a single noise gate... and why exactly does it kill the tone so much in relation to a single noise gate?
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
how much will it kill my tone in comparison to a single noise gate... and why exactly does it kill the tone so much in relation to a single noise gate?

multi effects are good for experimentation, and getting used to what effects you want for your sound. sure, you get a lot of stuff, but that comes at the cost of quality/tone.

a single good noise gate (MXR, ISP) will do a much, much better job than the noise gate that comes with the multi-effects unit.
I use a digitech rp200 in conjunction with a tube amp myself. For using it in the effects loop temporarily, it's ok. But DON'T use it in front of your amp. It'll destroy your tone. Most importantly, you can't switch off the built-in eq.
if you don't plan on using the digitech for that much stuff, its not worth running it into the amp
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
basically....a peavy 5150 is kick ass in itself and you shouldnt even think about not using its EQ.....and single pedals take away less tone because there is less gadgetry the signal runs through...on a multieffects it has to run through connection after connection and not every connection is perfect and will not let all your signal through....thus losing tone.....and noise gates in general will kill tone, thats just how they work...but i find that turning the volume knob on your guitar off quickly after you stop playing is a much cheeper solution....or if you have 2 humbucker with individual volume....you could turn on pick up off then all you have to do to go off and on is just flick a switch
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
Quote by Led Hed Lefty
.....and noise gates in general will kill tone, thats just how they work...

not true in the least.

The ISP basically doesn't even touch your signal...there is a little tone loss from the BOSS NS-2, however its minimal....ever used an actual noise gate? It does much more than mute your guitar while you're not playing. It also mutes unnecessary string noise, some feedback from the amplifier so it doesn't squeal when it's cranked, and also eliminates noise from outside noise sources (wall warts, lights etc)
Have any of you actually done this, or are you just speculating it will "kill the tone"? Complete BS.

To the OP, if thats the amp you want, then just buy it. You can always try out the RP and if you don't like the tone then save for pedals, but don't listen to these people who just blindly claim its going to kill your tone. I have a Digitech GNX4 and I do exactly what you are asking, I bypass the amp modeling and often will use my pedal as just a stompbox (I mainly use it for Chorus and delay only) and I run it directly into my amps input. If by "Killing the tone" they mean adding chorus to your sound, then yes, I am killing my amps tone. I'm using it with my Peavey Valveking right now (yes, that amp is not a 5150), but I've also used this in front of a Mesa F-50 and a Marshall JCM900 and it did not kill any of those amps either. Adding a small amount of chorus will really make the clean on the 5150 sound great.

I say go for it.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Have any of you actually done this, or are you just speculating it will "kill the tone"? Complete BS.

To the OP, if thats the amp you want, then just buy it. You can always try out the RP and if you don't like the tone then save for pedals, but don't listen to these people who just blindly claim its going to kill your tone. I have a Digitech GNX4 and I do exactly what you are asking, I bypass the amp modeling and often will use my pedal as just a stompbox (I mainly use it for Chorus and delay only) and I run it directly into my amps input. If by "Killing the tone" they mean adding chorus to your sound, then yes, I am killing my amps tone. I'm using it with my Peavey Valveking right now (yes, that amp is not a 5150), but I've also used this in front of a Mesa F-50 and a Marshall JCM900 and it did not kill any of those amps either. Adding a small amount of chorus will really make the clean on the 5150 sound great.

I say go for it.

I have actually done this with an RP50. If you run it in front of the amp, you get terrible tone, due to the pre-set EQ that you are NOT able to turn off...this gives you a pre-eq'd signal going into an amp that has an EQ on it for a reason. Yes. Not complete BS
Quote by GuitarDTO

Beat me to it. You guys are making this out to be something it's not. The RP might slightly degrade your signal, but not enough that you're really going to notice a night and day difference.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Beat me to it. You guys are making this out to be something it's not. The RP might slightly degrade your signal, but not enough that you're really going to notice a night and day difference.

nope. i've A/B'd this setup many times, and it is very noticeable.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I have actually done this with an RP50. If you run it in front of the amp, you get terrible tone, due to the pre-set EQ that you are NOT able to turn off...this gives you a pre-eq'd signal going into an amp that has an EQ on it for a reason. Yes. Not complete BS

Ok, you are talking about an RP50. I am talking about a GNX4, and the OP is talking about an RP200. I'm not familiar with the RP200, but I know the 250 and above, including the GNX4, you can turn off the EQ when you do a "direct" amp model.....I've A'B'd this as well and there is no difference, your amp will sound identical to the amp if you ran your guitar straight into it.

If the OP notices a difference and doesnt like it, he can just get separate pedals.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Ok, you are talking about an RP50. I am talking about a GNX4, and the OP is talking about an RP200. I'm not familiar with the RP200, but I know the 250 and above, including the GNX4, you can turn off the EQ when you do a "direct" amp model.....I've A'B'd this as well and there is no difference, your amp will sound identical to the amp if you ran your guitar straight into it.

If the OP notices a difference and doesnt like it, he can just get separate pedals.

First of all...you ran it with their flagship model....so you're a/bing is not comparable to what he is going to do. Honestly, he could run the RP in his FX loop and still get decent sound....really though, an NS-2 and chorus can be had for cheap.

second of all.... the amp you want is EPIC OP, i really don't know why we are arguing about tone sucking..
Quote by Brendan.Clace
It will suck the tone and life right out of your amp. It is best to get each individually and run it like that.

+1

i have used my rp500 through both of my tube amps and really, it sux IMO. It takes away the dynamics of what tube amps do. I have single pedals through the tube amps.

now, i have a randall rg75 g3 which is SS (hybrid but still not a tube amp) and I think the RP500 sounds pretty good through that. IT is mainly used to goof around but is not in my performing set-up. Hope this helps
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by Brendan.Clace
First of all...you ran it with their flagship model....so you're a/bing is not comparable to what he is going to do. Honestly, he could run the RP in his FX loop and still get decent sound....really though, an NS-2 and chorus can be had for cheap.

second of all.... the amp you want is EPIC OP, i really don't know why we are arguing about tone sucking..

Right, and you ran it with their arm pit model, so your A'Bing is not comparable either. With that said, I agree with you that for dirt cheap you can get a NS-2 and chorus if thats all he's looking for and that alone simplifies things more than hooking up an RP
thanks for everyone's contribution... so essentially right now assuming i get the used 5150 for around $650ish canadian, i should be putting the rp in the effects loop... do i just take a standard 1/4 cord and plug the rp output into the effects loop in the back of the 5150? i assume that i will be able to do the same things with it as if it was run in front of the amp, but this way it will effect my tone a lot less?
oh additionally do people think a used 5150 for $650-700 is ok? or do you think its worth it to wait for the 6505 1x12 to be released as it will be around this price anyways and the only thing i'd be losing is a speaker but will be gaining the fact that its brand new.
i personally like the 5150 better so i'd go with a used 5150 over a 6505, but that's up to you. As far as the rest of the misinformation flying around this thread. Just try the stuff on your own and see what you like. You'll probably find you like some effects through your fx loop and some straight in (I know I do). As far as the quality of your multi is concerned i can only compare to an RP 300a which I didn't care for very much. It does have "some" usable fx, but compared to my POD XT Live it's a toy. Since you already have it try and see if you can dial something in once you get the amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
the 5150 is a better deal, especially at that price. it's the combo version, so I would consider getting a speaker swap done down the road.
so if i was to perhaps trade in my rp200 for a newer rp150 or 250 where i can turn off the EQ this would make the difference minimal between it and individual pedals?