So I've decided I'm going to remove the EMG pickups from my Gibson Explorer, which I had someone else install for me. However, although I'm fairly confident with attempting this myself, I can't seem to find any good guides on how to remove the pots from the guitar anywhere. How do I do this? because I'm going to need to take them out and put the old pots back in to use the original passives that came with it. If someone could answer this for me, that'd be rad

P.S: The pots are located in a back cavity on the guitar
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
It's easy. Plug in a soldering iron. Preferably a desoldering iron. Hold the tip of it to the soldered bits of wire against the casing of the pots after removing the washers and stuff. Wear gloves. Keep pulling on the wires for 2 hours because your soldering iron is a cheap one from Radio Shack and doesn't get hot enough. Eventually the solder will melt and you can pull the wires free.

Actually I dunno about EMG pots. It should be relatively straightforward though.
just snip the wires. since you're going back to passive nothing in your guitar right now is of any use to you except the toggle.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
The only reason I'm hesitant to cut the wires is because I hear it's not the best thing to do for them, and I want to sell the EMG's
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

So before I continue any further, I'm told that anything above 50 watts in a soldering gun/iron should be avoided for working on a guitar because it's too powerful. The only thing I can find about a power rating on the soldering gun I have is 120v~60hz 1.2 amps.

When I look up how to convert this online, it says volts x amps = watts

Is that to say this thing is 144 watts!? It sure doesn't seem like it because I made an attempt to see how easily it would melt solder and it seemed to suck, haha
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

a soldering iron decent enough for a few pickup jobs can be had for $8 at your local radioshack. i got a 40 watter from there and it's done it's job for about a year now.
Alright! I have updates! So I decided to give it another shot, this time giving the soldering iron more time to warm up. Turned out to work this time. I've de-soldered all of the wiring, and taken the EMG's out. Now I'm stuck. How do I remove the EMG pots? Am I supposed to somehow screw off the volume knobs from the guitar? or am I going to take the soldering iron and just heat the hell out of the bottom of the pots until they budge?

I'm glad I won't have to worry about this when trying new passives out, lol. But it's been a fun and educational experience so far
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Alright! I have updates! So I decided to give it another shot, this time giving the soldering iron more time to warm up. Turned out to work this time. I've de-soldered all of the wiring, and taken the EMG's out. Now I'm stuck. How do I remove the EMG pots? Am I supposed to somehow screw off the volume knobs from the guitar? or am I going to take the soldering iron and just heat the hell out of the bottom of the pots until they budge?

I'm glad I won't have to worry about this when trying new passives out, lol. But it's been a fun and educational experience so far
The knobs should be just pressed on. lift straight up. do not twist.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
The dial will pop off.They are on pretty tight so wrap the bottom of your t-shirt around underneath and pull on the t-shirt.Underneath you will see a nut and washer undo these and slide it out from the back.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Thanks dudes! Changed the pots, and now here comes the tricky part since I'm a n00b at this. Properly wiring the old pups back in. But oh how the desire for passive pup tone has become motivating
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Thanks

But please tell me, is there an easier way to get those blasted pickup springs back in!? (the part used to adjust pickup height) cause holy crap is that a pain to get back in! grrr! This must be the worst part of changing them!
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

oh man, i wrestled springs onto a pickup ring for a good half hour once. that part blows. it helps if you have a 2nd set of hands helping you. you can compress the spring while they screw it in.
Oh, I just gave up and used the ones that came w/the EMG's, haha. The stock ones are literally impossible to put back in without two people.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60