Back Story
Recently i wanted to sell my Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 and in it's place purchase an ESP LTD Mustaine DV8r with Live wire pickups. However after playing the Mustaine and many other more expensive guitars with better parts. I found my Xiphos to be superior to all in playability and comfort.
THAT was when i decided I'll keep my xiphos and instead:
Get it re-setup
Get new pickups
Maybe do something about the bridge.

Questions
1.) Is it terribly difficult to install pickups yourself? Because i was thinking about ordering the two pickups i was looking forward to getting ALONG WITH a few pickups i wasn't sure about. Trying them all out, and returning the ones i didn't like to musicians friend.

Has anyone done this?
(come to think of it why don't people just "rent" gear for 45 days. Just for the price of shipping it back..)

2.) The main pickups i was looking to get were Dimarzio X2N (bridge) and Dimarzio Tone Zone (neck)...
Any recommendations for other pickups to order/try out?
I will be playing thrash metal / neo-classical with EQ usually set up like
Gain-10 || Bass-5 || Mid-4 || Treble-10

3.) I heard of someone taking X2N pickups and doing something like soldering the separate coils together to increase the output and gain. Anyone care to elaborate on this?

4.) I am not too fond of floating bridges. Is there any way to get say, a tone pros bridge on it?

Thank you my beloved fellow UG'ers!
i dont think you can get a tone pros bridge on it, but you could definitely block the trem and then have a fairly stable fixed bridge
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Installing pickups as long as you know how to use a soldering iron, and if you don't, its not that hard to figure out.
Can't help on #2
I think you may be talking about making the pickups into series instead of parallel. Could be wrong though.
Just put a tremel-no or even a block of wood in it so it stays flat. Otherwise you spend unnecessary time and money.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Last edited by Baby Joel at Mar 21, 2009,
1) It is easy
2) possibly some DiMarzio Diactivators
3) idk
4) To replace a floating trem with a tone pros would take a lot of time and money. It would be best just to block it off.
Quote by Ghold125
1) It is easy
2) possibly some DiMarzio Diactivators
3) idk
4) To replace a floating trem with a tone pros would take a lot of time and money. It would be best just to block it off.

lol the xiphos comes standard with D-activators
well then, i don't see why he would want new pups then. TS, what's your amp? X)
Quote by Ghold125
well then, i don't see why he would want new pups then. TS, what's your amp? X)

Peavey Vypyr 75 watt 1x12 Combo.

I dont really like the D-Activators. I figure get an X2N for the bridge pickup to maximize gain and output. and something smoother and quieter for the neck with a great soloing sound like the Tone Zone or PAF pro.
Just saying, I have an X2N in my RG470 and its a killer pickup. I think it'd be a good choice.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by CkY freak
Just saying, I have an X2N in my RG470 and its a killer pickup. I think it'd be a good choice.

what kind of stuff do you play and what's in your neck position?
Xiphos is a 7-string isnt it?

Either way, I'd look into Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Great tone.

If I was going to buy DiMarzios, I'd look into an X2N and a D'activator X.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by LoweRider
Xiphos is a 7-string isn't it?

Either way, I'd look into Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Great tone.

If I was going to buy DiMarzios, I'd look into an X2N and a D'activator X.

there are different models of the Xiphos.
6 string with a tremolo.
6 string with a hard tail.
7 string with both options.
there's also a 27 fret one.

Anyway i have a 6 string. and if i were going to get any active pickups I'd get Seymour Duncan LIVE WIRES! F*ck black outs.
Nonetheless i am iffy about carving out wood to make room for the batteries so I'm sticking with passives.
And I've already got D-Activators. Are the D-Activator X's much different?
Quote by ShestShestShest
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt 1x12 Combo.

I dont really like the D-Activators. I figure get an X2N for the bridge pickup to maximize gain and output. and something smoother and quieter for the neck with a great soloing sound like the Tone Zone or PAF pro.

I'm pretty sure D-Activators were made for that purpose...
Quote by Pac_man0123
I'm pretty sure D-Activators were made for that purpose...

X2N are the highest output passive pickups that i know of. and the d-activators sound alright for rhythm but, the neck pickup is lacking.
I don't think you can return pickups to musicians friend. But I know you can to Dimarzio directly (http://dimarzio.com/site/#/faq/ - look at warranty and exchange). Pickups are easy to install. I did it just fine with no soldering skills whatsoever.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I don't think you can return pickups to musicians friend. But I know you can to Dimarzio directly (http://dimarzio.com/site/#/faq/ - look at warranty and exchange). Pickups are easy to install. I did it just fine with no soldering skills whatsoever.

i believe you can. i just looked up musicians friend non returnable items and pickups are not listed.