Hi,
Onw of my friends said that using a metal plectrum isn't a good idea but I like them!
Could you tell me what he ment by this?
Thankyou,
John.
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green
It will damage your strings slightly more, but that's about it. It wont do any real damage, you're just a bit more likely to snap a string.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Some people don't like the tone, and it can cause wear on the strings if you pick unnecessarily hard.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
its all personal preference. hell, some people play with coins. I don't but it's cause i don't like the feel of them.
I think it is generally believed that they are harsh on your strings. I don't really know if there is any truth behind that though.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I think they just have bad tone. Ive used one, and it was similar to turning my tone knob to 0. also, after some playing it started to slip out of my hand.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Personally I do not like the feel nor the sound you get out of them. But I guess that's just my opinion. If you like to play with one of those, good.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
i like the sound from them, because i like a scratchy attack and a more chimey overall sound, but from my experience metal picks wear away so fast, and most of what wears off the picks ends up all over your fingers and your strings and your pickup covers/pickguard/all over the place. annoying as hell.

i'd rather compromise my tone (from my point of view at least) than get my hands covered in crap.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 21, 2009,
I would expect some extra wear on the pickups and pickguard like Blomp stated.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would expect some extra wear on the pickups and pickguard like Blomp stated.

that's not quite what i meant but is another thing i forgot to mention: many of my guitars have some nasty scratches from general playing from a metal pick as they become pretty sharp-edged after a couple of hours of heavy playing. what i was referring to was smears of the metal particles which have come off the pick.
Rig Winter 2017:

It does wear down the strings somewhat quicker than a celluloid or anything else like that. Plus, IMO, the tone seems severely compromised at times.
Oh, I was a little confused at what you were saying, I didn't want to say what I thought you said and not give some credit.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm pretty sure Brian May is famous for playing with a coin. I can't remember exactly what kind, but I know he does (or did at one point)
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
I believe Billy Gibbons uses a quarter or something similar.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
like blomp said, i wouldnt want to risk scratching up my guitar.

good point blomp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by slash4114
billy gibbons uses a filed down peso coin.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification bro!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
meh, just play with a 1.0 mm pick.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Danyg
Wow, you can get plctrums made of metal? How... br00t4lz!

oh yes, and actually ur an idiot not knowing it.

anyway, back on the topic,

i've tried it, didn't like it, basically, because,

when metal + metal + friction = fvcking freaking scratchy noise coming out!!!!!!!

especially on wounded strings,
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
It would prolly make some deep scratch.......but it is up to the player....

I read a things some where about a blues player who made quaters into pick shapes and used them cuz he liked how they sounded.
Quote by cajun_prince
oh yes, and actually ur an idiot not knowing it.

anyway, back on the topic,

i've tried it, didn't like it, basically, because,

when metal + metal + friction = fvcking freaking scratchy noise coming out!!!!!!!

especially on wounded strings,

Obviously YOU can't handle that much metal.
But on-topic now, it's too slippery when you have sweaty hands (IMO), and yeah, strings will corrode faster if they're making contact with different types of metal.
I used to use one until it began cutting into my hand because of how I play rhythm, and I can go either way on the tone. Brian may used a sixpence his entire career, so you can easily use one. And they do wear the strings faster, but if you like the tone, go with it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
There's nothing wrong with metal picks but they will scrape off the coating on your strings a bit faster then a run of the mill pick
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I've made a pick out of metal and I didn't like neither the feel of playing with a metal pick or the tone.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Lets not turn this into a "show off our choice of picks" thread.

Its bad in that it increases the wear and tear of the strings, and the metal pick itself wears out fast too. Keep in mind that playing high gain would create some serious scratch.
Quote by Stay Up Late
I'm pretty sure Brian May is famous for playing with a coin. I can't remember exactly what kind, but I know he does (or did at one point)

sixpence or how ever you spell it. i always use quarters when i cant find a pick. Gets the job done and gives a different tone. do what you want who cares if your tone has been "compromised". It all depends how you look at it.
Quote by Vauxite
One of the best picks i've ever used.

do they grind down and leave metallic smudges all over the place like all the others?

my metal pick is a 50p that's been attacked with a grinder. illegal i know, but i'm not the one who defaced the coin!
Rig Winter 2017:

do they grind down and leave metallic smudges all over the place like all the others?QUOTE]

Nope, the tip is made out of the same material as your strings.

'Dava Master Control Pick'.

I have one coming in from Australia now, can't get them in the UK.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by thefrigginbob
I think it is generally believed that they are harsh on your strings. I don't really know if there is any truth behind that though.

How could they not be harsher on your strings, whats toughe? metal or plastic?(rhetorical question), If you put metal against plastic, then metal will win, but if you metal against metal, there's some competition...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I might be wrong but i thought i saw in the magazine Guitar Player that the guitarist from Children of Bodom (not alexi the other one) uses a metal pick and in the interview he said it can really damage the finish on your guitar.