My uncle gave me one of his guitars and it has rust on the pickups. He has the guitar in his basement alongside many others. He's almost always on the road with just his strat.

There's rust on the guitar so can I clean it and will it affect the sound?

The guitar is an Ibanez rg270.

Current Gear:
Ibanez S Prestige
Ibanez Grx20
Line 6 Spider III
Laguna LE122
Technics ml1200
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Guitarist and Dj(Dj Anonymous)
Aim - DrxdotxDinh
Msn - Litoxvietwun@hotmail.com
ive heard people talk about this before, and i recall them saying the rust does not affect anything

thinking from a chemistry/physics standpoint i would have guessed that it could affect sound at least a minor amount because its a different compound then the original pole peices. thats just speculation though, and it would probably have to be rusted all the way through though to actually do anything.
From what I understand about rust involving cars/trucks, the best way to remove it is with abrasion. You could use some high grit sandpaper to get the rust off.

I would get a Q-tip and WD-40 and apply some to the pickups to prevent water from getting on them.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I made a thread on this AGES ago so searchbar doesn't really apply here I guess.
But anyway I don't think it has really affected the sound much.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
And old guitar I rescued has pretty rusty pickups, and they haven't negatively affected the tone much at all. You could try scraping it off, but then you run the disk of damaging the pickups. Unless the look of it bothers you, I'd leave it be unless they actually become a problem.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
thanks, I don't really care as long as It doesn't mess with the sound.
Current Gear:
Ibanez S Prestige
Ibanez Grx20
Line 6 Spider III
Laguna LE122
Technics ml1200
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Guitarist and Dj(Dj Anonymous)
Aim - DrxdotxDinh
Msn - Litoxvietwun@hotmail.com
No, you should not. You can get the pieces of rust in the wire coils. The rust will cut the wire, requiring a rewind. So, NO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Scrapping does sound scarey! Some solvents too could be a problem as they might eat thru the varnish insulation on the pickup wire and cause windings to short out ruining the PUs. MAybe you you check out some luthier's sites to see what's recommended.
Moving on.....
Quote by kschaef
Steel wool. /thread

Rust and steel particles get into the pickups and cut winding, necessitating a rewind. /pickups.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Rust and steel particles get into the pickups and cut winding, necessitating a rewind. /pickups.

I use steel wool on the bridge pup of my tele all the time and it's fine.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Quote by kschaef
I use steel wool on the bridge pup of my tele all the time and it's fine.

the point is its possible to ruin the pickup, so its not worth doing.
How are steel particles and rust going to affect copper? You can't cut through wire with something laying on top of it that weighs hundreths of a gram. Rust doesn't affect copper anyway. Copper oxidizes over time but good pickups are wax potted and further decreases the time of oxidation greatly.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Use steel wool. It won't get into the the pickup and break the coil. My luthier uses it to get rust off of everything.
joshuaestock.com
wow people are so unhelpful on forums sometimes

PROVEN SOLUTION: USE A REGULAR PENCIL ERASER, THE PINK ONE

Thank me by passing this to others