Pit I noticed this a few weeks back.

If you have a mobile/cell phone with a camera then try this out.

Open up your camera on your phone and point it at the computer screen. Look at the screen as if you're taking a picture. Make sure the background is white.

Do you see all those black lines moving up the screen?

Does anyone know why that is?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
It doesn't work with LCD screens.
Quote by glm
I love you for saying that.

after I said "if the Governator could do it; so can Mr. Colbert"
It is caused because a CRT monitor (the non-flatscreen types) filckers on and off very quickly (60-110 times a second, depending) and your phone is refreshing the image on its screen at most 30 times a second, so some of the times the phone screen displays the image, the monitor is in fact blank, and other times it is displaying an image, and sometimes it is in between, or has drawn half of the image. Your eyes register movement at around 10-15 frames a second, so you see it as moving black bars.

edit: it doesn't work on LCDs because they are always on, they do not go blank in between frames.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
If you watch TV or movies that show a computer screen or TV in the distance, unless it's the main focus of the scene it always has those lines. I always just thought that 90's era computers were really crappy, turns out our cameras just suck.
clearly you are the first person to discover this.
that or you've never seen an older tv show or movie where there are computer monitors in it.
i don't think it works with lcd screens.
███████████████████████████████████
It's because what is actually happening is your screen is showing you a part of an image at a time, a line basically but it all happens to fast for us to see so we see one whole image. Well, when you look at it with a digital camera, since they both have refresh rates and operate at different frequencies there is an interference pattern that happens, basically that line or what ever you're seeing move up or down the screen is destructive interference.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by tona_107
clearly you are the first person to discover this.
that or you've never seen an older tv show or movie where there are computer monitors in it.
i don't think it works with lcd screens.

I think that is correct.

I should write to someone.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.