Hey,

Listening to some songs got me thinking. How is that professional music has that full kind of atmosphere to it. I can listen to something i make and just sounds un-lively and kind of dull compared to the full sound of a proper artist/band track. Do you think that this is completely down to the expensive gear and limitless studio knowledge or is there some kind of way to achieve a more tight/full recording by adjusting settings or perhaps basic audio manipulation?

Thanks
Mastering is the key thing in most cases, a lot of amateur recordists don't both to master their tracks or they don't do it right.

And also yeah having a lot of knowledge goes a long way, but luckily with the internet, that part is free and easy to acquire.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 21, 2009,
I think mastering is only a small part of the answer. You take a single vocal track recorded at a pro studio and compare it to a vocal recorded through a Rockband USB mic into a Soundblaster card, and the difference between those two raw tracks will still be night and day.

Part of it is knowledge and experience... how to get the best possible sound from the source.

Part of it is having a great sounding source.

Part of it is great mics. Anything sounds beautiful through a U87. Nothing sounds beautiful through a PC headset mic.

Part of it is matching the right mic to the right source. (and the experience and know-how to pull that off)

Part of it is great preamps (anything sounds great through a Neve or SSL console....anything recorded through a PA head will sound decidedly *not* good....)

And finally... how you treat those tracks. The right EQ, the right compressor, the right delay/reverb settings, etc. That, too, is a combination of good gear and good know-how and experience.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ This is all true. But I think the mixing stage, and your knowledge of it, has the most influence on what the TS is talking about (or at least how I'm interpreting it). This is assuming that you at least start with decent quality tracks of course.

It's about finding space for each instrument in your mix, the use of effects, compression and reverb, and knowing the little tricks you can use to give your track a more interesting, professional shine.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
This is assuming that you at least start with decent quality tracks of course.

Exactly. That's what my post was. From there, your post and the mastering is the rest of the answer... in order of importance.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.