Page 1 of 2
Im thinking of getting a macbook because i like their layout and they are more user friendly than pcs. Do you mac users find you ever get frozen screens/internet? that drives me nuts with me pc.
i know but i use the pc a lot and all my work and play are based around it so its probably the most important purchase to make.
i used a mac to record a friends band, done the whole song and right after the vox were done and i went to save it the mac crashed :/ thankfully me teacher at college showed me how to retrieve the files used in recording

dont let that put you off though lol, i love macs and beleive me, if i had the money i'dve bought one long ago haha
pc
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Get a mac.
Its your money, not mine, spend it has you wish.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Personally, PC FTW.

Cant stand Macs.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Personally, get a mac and get BOTH windows and XP on it.

Vista=Poo
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Quote by DegaMeth
i know but i use the pc a lot and all my work and play are based around it so its probably the most important purchase to make.

I'm not really sure, but if you are going to be doing a lot of gaming or something then Macs aren't that great. Also there are a lot of reasonably priced Pcs out there that great too.
get a mac if you like recording

dont quote me on this, but i heard they are a lot less prone to viruses compared to PCs.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by stueey

Vista=Poo

wut
Do you have lots of money? if so get the mac.
If you nee to be efficient with your money then buy a PC
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
[QUOTE

dont quote me on this, but i heard they are a lot less prone to viruses compared to PCs.[/QUOTE

The one thing that scares me about Mac is the fact that they don't really have a future set of goals or anything. They just focus on one product, and just release upgrades for it, they don't really have a clue about what NEW products they're going to introduce. Apart from the OS, iPod and iPhone, there really isn't anything else that Apple has to offer to the wider market, and that can be kinda scary, since two of those three things aren't a necessity, in that, unlike a computer, they are things that most people can do without when they're in a bit of a financial struggle, such as this time.

In saying that, Microsoft is ALOT more stable in terms of financial gain, so I'd expect more updates on the Windows system, more support, and a greater asset in terms of longetivity.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
pc vista is alright mine hasn't crashed and you can change the internet to firefox and that hasn't crashed on me not like ie7
Quote by stueey

dont you mean xp and mac OS? XP is a windows os
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Save your money and get yourself a nice laptop instead of an artsy fartsy mac.
signature
I feel like you have a many more options with PC's as far as budget, hardware and software. If I may:

"Dude you're getting a Dell"
macs are incredible, and worth the money.

a great thing about a mac though is it comes with a bunch of programs already, and garage band is one of those programs. it's great for making demos and helping you out with songwriting; i use it all the time, you just need to buy a $70-ish interface.

it's your money, do what you want with it
Quote by Timothym
I feel like you have a many more options with PC's as far as budget, hardware and software. If I may:

"Dude you're getting a Dell"

What happened to that guy?
Unless you want to pay about 1000USD more just for a nice silver case and a half eaten apple, then I suggest a normal laptop.

Budget?

I'm assuming since you're buying a Mac then you can afford 2500USD. Problem with Macs are that you literally are paying for the name, and not so much the software/hardware. You can get an 4-8 gig RAM with 400gigs of hard drive space and 2.13 or 2.53GHZ Intel processor versus a 2 gig RAM, 200gig hard drive, that cost about 500 dollars just to upgrade 1 gig of RAM on a Mac.

I suggest the following HP Laptop (an HDX16t HP laptop)

Get the recommended set up, then customize it further.

Choose the included Windows Ultimate upgrade
Get the 2.53GHZ upgrade on your Intel processor
4 gigs of RAM
500 Gig 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Unless you're gaming (which I assume you're not since you're considering the Mac, get the default 512MB graphics card.
Keep the display settings the same
Get the Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Keep the wireless settings the same
Get the back lit keyboard
Unless you plan on staying out of reach for a charger, keep the same battery.
You don't need headphones or HP pocket drives
You don't need a "mini" laptop either
Get the student edition Microsoft Office
Don't get their security software, get Trend Micro Antivirus and Spysweeper as your computer anti-malware software
Say no to any other software products
Go to the accesories, and get yourself a nice computer case like the HP Executive Leather Carrying Case
Also get a nice printer such as the HP Photosmart C4599 All-in-One

You can get all that for roughly 2000USD and I guarantee you that it is 1000000000 times better than any Mac.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Just build it yourself, or get a friend to help you build it. Especially if you can settle for a regular old desktop, which should work unless you need to bring your computer to work every day with you (and if this is the case, a mac is absolutely out of the question).

If you buy the parts and get it built/build it yourself, you'll save a ridiculous amount of money, and you'll know everything about your own personal box. As far as being smart with your money goes, there is no reason to buy a mac, ever. If you get a pc, and throw some decent recording programs on it, you've got all you ever wanted.
^ I have an HP (a year and a half old) and the fan drives me crazy. It's ZOOMZOOMZOOOOOM all day long. The louder it gets the more my computer lags (and it'll lag regardless of the processes). So idk about the HP. I may have my own problems though.

EDIT: To weeping demon
I personally bought a Dell and then just put Fedora on it. I don't like either Microsoft or Apple so I figured I might as well start doing something about it.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
If you have a ton of money do the following:
Get a Mac
Buy Windows XP
Partition part of your harddrive to XP
Use both Mac and Windows whenever you feel like it

I'm happy with my Mac, btw.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
LIST

With the change look into Edirol external soundcards, maybe some decent running software like Sonar, Cubase, Reason or for more electronic, ableton, maybe even a hard synth controller or drum machine hard or software and there you have it.

A bitching pc with really decent recording gear,
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Get a Mac. You can put Windows on it and dual boot with bootcamp. Best of both worlds.
This is my sig
My laptop is a mac, and I adore it. It has not let me down yet, and that's after a year of abuse. My desktop on the other hand is a pc, that I built myself, and I love it just as much. Really this all boils down to your personal preferences. Everyone has different views on the pc vs. mac argument, so buy what makes you happy.
Go with the MAC. I'm a mac geek, so i'm kinda biased, but they're just all around better. Better support (if you can pay for it), mine has never crashed, never gotten a virus, and has not lost any speed. the biggest problems i see are with the macBook (wh/bl) which have a tendency to have cracked cases and the like. I have a macbook pro (the aluminum one), and the only problems i've had are cosmetic; dings and scratches and the like.

as for pricing, sure the macBook pro is on the pricey side (i paid for mine with a college grant), but the macBook (wh/bl) are fairly reasonable, with base price being USD999.00, even cheaper if you can prove you are a student (most colleges, and some high schools).

Macs are def. better for art things: photoshop, final cut pro, soundtrack pro, garageband and the like.

in the end.
buy a mac.
I think Macs are a bit silly to be honest. PCs shouldn't necessarily be associated with Windows : P. Get Linux.
Get a PC if you're computer literate and capable of handling simple maintenance. If not get a Mac.
Quote by Well.......
What happened to that guy?

he got arrested on drug charges.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Page 1 of 2