sorry about all these threads lately

if i have tabs to this song, i almost never can fiqure out the song. its not that i cant play it, its that i never can fiqure out the rhythm unless all the notes have the same time value. i usually take these tabs to my instructor, which shouldnt be necassary. this is holding me back alot. its that bad i can fiqure out a ATR song but not a Disturbed song and ATR is waaaaayyy harder. its just cause the rhytm. i have a metronome and everything but it doesnt do me any good. what can i do to get over this?
hmm, its best to listen to the song a lot, and listen to the rhythm its played as. once you've memorized it, copy the rhythm and the notes. you should get it then.
®Θ€K•$╥ÄЯ♠
Rhythm is my thing is I must say that listening to the song very closely is the key. Before you can play a song on an instrument, you must be able to play it in your mind. Use PowerTab too. It helps a lot.
go downlaod tux guitar.

then download guitar pro tabs (tux guitar is a free guitar pro)

then you can listen to the part that you want to learn (and hear the rhythm)

vola.
*Enter Sig Here*
SUBDIVIDE. SUBDIVIDE. SUBDIVIDE.

Get a metronome and count 1, 2, 3, 4. These are quarter notes. You can then subdivide them evenly by counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. These are eighth notes. Those can then be subdivided by counting 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a. These are sixteenth notes. Once you can divide beats evenly and accurately, just tap them with your fingers as you listen to the song. Eventually, you'll be able to hear where every note is in relation to the beat. Once you do it a few times, it all starts to come together.

(Note that this only works for songs in 4, but that's most popular music. Other time signatures would require a significantly longer and even more preachy post.)

PS I apologize if I sound demeaning. I was in band-teacher mode.
Quote by gbdp54
SUBDIVIDE. SUBDIVIDE. SUBDIVIDE.

Get a metronome and count 1, 2, 3, 4. These are quarter notes. You can then subdivide them evenly by counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. These are eighth notes. Those can then be subdivided by counting 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a. These are sixteenth notes. Once you can divide beats evenly and accurately, just tap them with your fingers as you listen to the song. Eventually, you'll be able to hear where every note is in relation to the beat. Once you do it a few times, it all starts to come together.

(Note that this only works for songs in 4, but that's most popular music. Other time signatures would require a significantly longer and even more preachy post.)

PS I apologize if I sound demeaning. I was in band-teacher mode.

no its ok lol. one question though. if one part of the song has sixteen notes, and the rest are not do you still count 1 e & a.... to even it out or just say it 4x as fast
sure do.

or you could get technical and say 1 e and a 2 and 3 and 4.

although, i cound in my head, and count in pulses, not numbers. ie.

DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum etc. (sounds like a train)

emphasizing the main beats (what would be 1 2 3 4)

so, counting in 16ths is prob the way to go.
*Enter Sig Here*
Develop your own sense of timing. Feel the beat. That actually works.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by Hale_91
sure do.

or you could get technical and say 1 e and a 2 and 3 and 4.

although, i cound in my head, and count in pulses, not numbers. ie.

DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum etc. (sounds like a train)

emphasizing the main beats (what would be 1 2 3 4)

so, counting in 16ths is prob the way to go.
I'm glad I'm not the only one - I count in tu-ku-tu-ku's lol - too many years playing brass

I count most things in 16ths (provided its a relatively standard key sig like 4/4) as it helps me get my head around the whole rhythm - helps with alternate picking too. If I try the 1 e & a 2 & 3 4 thing for a rhythm then the longer notes go out of time and I lose track of where I am

And if you are trying to play something from tab without any for of standard notation to tell you the rhythm, you really need to listen to the track - a lot.
Quote by metalxshredder
sorry about all these threads lately

if i have tabs to this song, i almost never can fiqure out the song. its not that i cant play it, its that i never can fiqure out the rhythm unless all the notes have the same time value. i usually take these tabs to my instructor, which shouldnt be necassary. this is holding me back alot. its that bad i can fiqure out a ATR song but not a Disturbed song and ATR is waaaaayyy harder. its just cause the rhytm. i have a metronome and everything but it doesnt do me any good. what can i do to get over this?

You have to learn to hear rhythms, and like anything you need to start simple. There's no point trying to jump in and start learnin awkward, angular stuff - you'll just flounder. Stop telling yourself that it's "bad" that you can't do something because that's just rubbish. On the guitar you know things that you've practiced well, and you don't know things you haven't, that's it. So you either haven't spent enough time working on picking out rhythms to be where you want to be yet or you've simply been approaching them the wrong way.

Start by trying to pick out the rhythms from simpler, more straightforward songs., when you're getting better at that then you can try with more complex things. It'll also help if you do some reading up on time signatures.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com