Does anybody here keep fish as a hobby or just for pets, and if so, what do you keep?

I've done HEAPS of research on fishkeeping and stuff like that, and am currently running a 180 gallon tank with two 14" Oscars, 4 silver dollars, 3 convicts and a gourami (given as a gift). I also have a small 20 gallon with 3 Tiger Barbs and a few Neon Tetra.

Does anybody here keep fish as well?

Also, if you need advice, feel free to ask. I'm pretty bored haha
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
I have saltwater fish. I know nothing about freshwater.

I only have 2 clownfish and a few crabs, nothing crazy.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I once had a goldfish in a fishbowl.

It died.

Last.fm
Quote by Weybl Himself
It's the Pit, every day is Dumbass Question Day
Ah yeah. I just did a water change today, a slight re-arrangement of the tank. My Oscars layed their first clutch of eggs a few weeks ago, but unfortunately ate them.

I'm soon going to be getting a few small yabbies (little crayfish) to place in the tank for two reasons. The first is a source of feeder food for the Oscars (fed primarily on high quality pellets and bloodworm), the second is an alternative for cleaning up some of the gunk on top of the sand that is missed by the syphon.

I'll also be getting a few freshwater mussles to aid in cleaning as well.

I might post pics soon of the fish/setup...

You got any pics of your setup?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Feed them too much and they die. Don't feed them enough and they die. And sometimes they just die out of spite. Useless pets.
I can almost guarantee that many fish, such as goldfish, if kept in adequate man-controlled habitats (eg, good aquariums), can live for 10, 20 years or more.

I know somebody who has kept some Oscars for over 15 years. They're still alive, and doing very well.

There is a LOT of science that goes behind keeping fish alive in a tank. It's not so much "Water in bowl. Fish in water. Feed. Clean once a month".
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Here's some older pics.

Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I had a goldfish named Beelzeblub but it died when it was 3. And i'm talking fishyears.
Awesome little clowns

I want to set up a Saltwater tank, never had the experience to. I should start doing some more research haha.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Quote by dustyboy316
I have saltwater fish. I know nothing about freshwater.

I only have 2 clownfish and a few crabs, nothing crazy.

**** you. I want a Salt water tank badly.

I have some Tetras. And other small fish. And then my dragon fish.

Who has lived forever, and hoped out of the tank twice, both times for an entire night, and still alive.

RIP Clown Knife

EDIT: Damn, I read the rest of the OP, damn TS, aren't those all aggressive fish?
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

The Oscars are the only real aggressive fish, and they are actually quite calm when given enough space. I'll post pics of my setup shortly. I've created the layout in my tank to aid in reducing amount of fighting between fish.

All of my convicts are female. No fighting. The silver dollars act as large dithers. They help reduce the aggression between the oscars and other fish by giving them something to chase, but 2 years now, they don't ever fight with each other.

And also, pics of the arowana?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I have some fish. I have no idea what they're called. They're mainly orange with some black on their fins and tails. And the are getting prego like crazy! I'm going to have to get a bigger tank!
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Toolfan11
I have some fish. I have no idea what they're called. They're mainly orange with some black on their fins and tails. And the are getting prego like crazy! I'm going to have to get a bigger tank!

Large fish, small fish? Heated tank? Pictures?

I'd be inclined to thing Guppies. They breed like crazy.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Quote by Mootallica
Large fish, small fish? Heated tank? Pictures?

I'd be inclined to thing Guppies. They breed like crazy.

Sorry, no pictures. But they're small, about 1/2-3/4 inch fully matured. And yes, heated tank.
Keeping it real since '92
Do they look kinda like these?

They are different colour hybrids of guppies
Quote by srvguitarrulez
my brother had piranhas but they died of some disease, now he has some giant creepy fish and some other smaller n00bs.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I used to have a small fish tank and a Beta fish in a bowl. But my brother's Beta died so he went into my room and poured all the food into mines bowl so it would die....

I want to get a real set up someday.
2 Siamese Fighters, 2 Goldfish and a MASSIVE angel fish.. The bastard keeps growing.

They're not all in the same tank.. Goldfish are in their own.. One Siamese is in my room and the massive angel and other Siamese are in the dining room
eMarried on UG to Brodie337 31/3/2009
I love you =]

Originally posted by Jabman

The proper way to clean up ROFL is to grab a bucket full of STFU and splash it around the area. If any ROFL is left, use a bit of GTFO, that should do the trick.
Quote by Toolfan11
Bump
So what kind of fish do I have? I'm very curious now.Clicky

They're Platies

They are livebearers, like Guppies, Mollies and Swordtails. This means that they do no lay eggs, rather, the eggs hatch internally (in the female), and are given birth to live. In many cases, the fry are eaten by the parents, or by other predators, so the best chance of survival is a deep layer of Java Moss to keep all of the fry alive.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
how do they live in the wild if the young are eaten by the parents?
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
They are born in streams where there is lots of silt and mud on the floor.

When born, they are always born in the lowest level of the water column. In the wild, the fry are born directly into the silt, so they are practically invisible, feeding off bacteria until they are large enough to forage. In an aquarium, there is usually no silt, so breeders substitute with java moss or a similar alternative, giving the fry a place to hide from the parents/other predators.
Quote by srvguitarrulez