Kinda made this for self knowledge but Deans and BC Rich's are among the most hated guitars out there lol. From what I've heard only their high ends are good.

My question is do any of their high ends compare to the quality and tones of companies like Jackson, ESP, or even Gibson? (doubt the last one lol)
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Well, put shortly, no.

Elaborating, it's a matter of taste. People might find that a Razorback sounds better than a 1959 Les Paul, but that's not the usual case.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Hmm so these companies are simply put...all around inferior?

I kind of agree that a lot of them aren't too hot but I still gotta say I love Chuck Schuldiner's tribute Stealth...maybe because it's the one Chuck used....
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Deans and BC Rich guitars will never match up with high end guitars of other companies. Why you ask? Because with Dean and BC Rich you're paying for their fancy shapes, not their tonal quality.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by enselmis
Ummm, Gibsons are **** buckets.

Stick to Music Man and PRS, best quality and tone without a doubt.

Gibsons are **** buckets? Have you ever played one? Les Pauls sound phenomenal when they are set up and played through a nice amp. I prefer Fenders myself, but I'd never say Gibson is ****.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Hmm so these companies are simply put...all around inferior?

I kind of agree that a lot of them aren't too hot but I still gotta say I love Chuck Schuldiner's tribute Stealth...maybe because it's the one Chuck used....

Inferior is a harsh word. Their main target is people who can't afford a high end guitar. The thing is that their low-budget guitars caught on with people (Dean with Dime, B.C. Rich with Kerry King for example), so they were kind of forced to put out higher end models, which suck in comparison to companies who have been building quality guitars for decades.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Oh yes, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.
I'm good friends with a man who used to be endorsed by B.C. Rich, and he owns about five $2,000-$5,000 custom shop guitars, and they're ridiculously good. I'd much rather play one of his B.C. Riches than any Gibson or Jackson.
His son also owns a Mockingbird ST which is only $700, and it's also among the best guitars I've played. If you base your opinion on the models they usually have at Guitar Center ($100-$500 peices of trash.) you're doing yourself a huge disservice.
That said, Dean can kiss my ass whether their guitars are worth a damn or not.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
i wouldn't say Dean's suck... i have a friend that has a Dean ML (the $600 one) and it plays great... i would just replace the dimebucker with another seymour duncan.

and i tried a BC rich before, in my last band the other guitarist had one and i didn't hate it either...
maybe its the shapes... ???

but i prefer ESP, Fender, Gibson... never tried a prs... always wanted to
Quote by enselmis
PRS are incredible, the SE's are the best guitar under 1000$(testified by ALOT of people) and the high end ones are orgasmic.

Do you work for PRS or something? That's all you seem to talk about
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by enselmis
Ummm, Gibsons are **** buckets.

Stick to Music Man and PRS, best quality and tone without a doubt.

Sure they are, that's exactly why I bought an ES-339 after extensively comparing it to a PRS CU22 .

How about you stop generalizing and say something smart for a change.
Gibson and PRS have the same quality control nowadays, but I guess you wouldn't know that, because Gibsons are "shit buckets" and don't deserve to be played by you.

How about you go an compare a Gibson to a PRS?
Last edited by Mike! at Mar 21, 2009,
Could someone remind me what it's called when a jazz quartet hops into a radio-flyer?

Oh yeah......bandwagon

It's a matter of personal preference really.To some people they don't match up well,and to others they're some of the best guitars out there.Too many kids on UG see others talking bad about them and just assume they're crap,or people see them and immediately judge them on their shape.Similar things happen with Gibson on here.Kids who have probably never played and can't afford one say stupid things about them constantly,but anyone who has put their mits on a nice Gibson knows why they have the reputation and prestige in the industry that they do.

The lower end models might not stack up favorably,but their higher end models,and especially their custom shop models are nice guitars IMO.I had the chance to play a custom shop 7 string mockingbird a while back and it was an amazing guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Mar 21, 2009,
Why did Dime play a guitar I don't think I could stand playing for more than a music shop "No" or to smash at the end of a set? Why does Paul Gilbert have one of the few stoptail signature Ibanez guitars? Why do some people like thin necks I can barely play on while simultaneously cursing the thick necks I love? Why do some people prefer single coils over humbuckers or vice versa? Why did Eddie Van Halen replace a Fender tremolo I have never been unhappy about with a Floyd Rose, one of my dislikes on guitars except for looks?

Preference. Everyone has different taste. It's why there's more than one guitar and such. I love Paul Reed Smith McCarty's, Fender Stratocasters, Gibson ES-335 and Les Paul's(Not Epi LP's though, stock their tone has always sounded boxed-in to me) and an occasional tele. However every time I'm playing one of those at a store(besides the PRS since their genre-of-dominance is as of yet undefined and probably won't be after playing one) a metalhead snickers before running off to play a crappy offtempo rendition of some 1980's metal song, some punk song, or Stairway. If you're happy on a Warlock or an ML, play that. If you want a thin neck, play something with one. Don't let people's words here make you assume anything is crap. Some guitars are better for things than others, but there is no crap $400 USD or above as far as I'm concerned(Except for a few gems below that and many Gibsons that are victims to their current QC). Play what you like, not what UG's bandwagons like. I used to hop onto bandwagons. Then my bandmate went to get a drink and I played his Warlock. Sure it wasn't perfect for me, but it taught me that 90% of bandwagons are idiotic.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by NorfIrIon
Oh yes, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.
I'm good friends with a man who used to be endorsed by B.C. Rich, and he owns about five $2,000-$5,000 custom shop guitars, and they're ridiculously good. I'd much rather play one of his B.C. Riches than any Gibson or Jackson.
His son also owns a Mockingbird ST which is only $700, and it's also among the best guitars I've played. If you base your opinion on the models they usually have at Guitar Center ($100-$500 peices of trash.) you're doing yourself a huge disservice.
That said, Dean can kiss my ass whether their guitars are worth a damn or not.

This - You will probably never see or play a really high end Dean or B.C. Rich. The thing about those "high end" guitar companies is that they're only considered "high end" because their bottom prices are expensive and they don't make cheap guitars. Dean and B.C. Rich mainly make affordable (cheap) or guitars but that doesn't mean that they don't make high end models. You just don't see them. Mainly because most people believe that they're not good. It's the same way that gibson can sell anything for any price and someone will buy it. It's all about names.
Dean's USA models are as good if not better than a gibson of the same price. BCR makes their midrange (think $500-700 US) in South Korea, where some of the best quality-for-money guitars come from. BCR's Custom Shop in Cali is insane quality, as good if not better than a Gibson Custom in that range. Oh, plus they're cheaper than a Gibson Custom with similar specs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
1980's BC RICH's are nice from what I hear but Try Bernie Rico's there his son's and there very upscale guitars.

Dean USA models, some people dislike them for there price and shape but its all personal prefrance.

and for Gibson there quality control now sucks but they make nice guitars

and for all the people about to say USA price's are to high your kidding me right because look at Gibson/Fender sigs for $20,000 are you serious?
Quote by ShredGod George
yup, he does play an ibanez
a log with 6 pieces of yarn would be solid competition for it

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Kick it in the dick.

Snakes have dicks, right?
I've got $800+ warlock and it's got one of nicest necks of any guitar I've ever played.
It sounds reaaaally good to. I can even get Clapton's woman tone using the neck pick-up.
but it sounds even better playing metal.
People who dish out money for Dean guitars (like myself) are in pursuit of great tone. Mr. Zelinksy started out making guitars for great tone and looks. Vintage Deans are claimed to be some of the best sounding guitars ever made. Both B.C. Rich and Dean started off in the late 70's making boutique high-end custom guitars for a low price that the average musician could afford. Today their custom shops still offer that same idea but labor costs so much more today than it did back then due to insurance and other benefits.

Again, stay away from the cheaper models from both companies. Dean's flagship model in terms of price vs. value is the 79' Series. Great sounding and sturdy roadworthy guitars that would cost double the price if they were made in the United States.

PRS used to make some world class instruments in the early 90's when they were still a small boutique company like Dean or B.C. Rich. Today their instruments are made almost entirely by machines and aren't worth the price tag they carry. You seriously can't tell me that their ungodly huge neck heels are comfortable. They live just like Krank amps does...

This thread was designed for flaming people. I almost smell a troll in the bushes.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Why did Dime play a guitar I don't think I could stand playing for more than a music shop "No" or to smash at the end of a set? Why does Paul Gilbert have one of the few stoptail signature Ibanez guitars? Why do some people like thin necks I can barely play on while simultaneously cursing the thick necks I love? Why do some people prefer single coils over humbuckers or vice versa? Why did Eddie Van Halen replace a Fender tremolo I have never been unhappy about with a Floyd Rose, one of my dislikes on guitars except for looks?

Preference. Everyone has different taste. It's why there's more than one guitar and such. I love Paul Reed Smith McCarty's, Fender Stratocasters, Gibson ES-335 and Les Paul's(Not Epi LP's though, stock their tone has always sounded boxed-in to me) and an occasional tele. However every time I'm playing one of those at a store(besides the PRS since their genre-of-dominance is as of yet undefined and probably won't be after playing one) a metalhead snickers before running off to play a crappy offtempo rendition of some 1980's metal song, some punk song, or Stairway. If you're happy on a Warlock or an ML, play that. If you want a thin neck, play something with one. Don't let people's words here make you assume anything is crap. Some guitars are better for things than others, but there is no crap $400 USD or above as far as I'm concerned(Except for a few gems below that and many Gibsons that are victims to their current QC). Play what you like, not what UG's bandwagons like. I used to hop onto bandwagons. Then my bandmate went to get a drink and I played his Warlock. Sure it wasn't perfect for me, but it taught me that 90% of bandwagons are idiotic.

best answer yet
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
It's not about which company has the best guitars, it's about what you like as a guitarist, everybody has their own taste, without taste, every guitarist would be playing the same guitar.
I like the Dime O Flame. It's nice. I also like The Stealth, preferably the Washburn one, but Dean makes good ones too. B.C. Rich guitars are licensed weapons as well as decent guitars, so that is a cool advantage.
despite brand names, there's always at least one guitar from every brand i can enjoy. Ibanez, Gibson, Fender, G&L, Godin, Jackson, Schecters, parker, etc..

Haven't found a PRS i've liked yet but i'm sure its out there.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.