Poll: Emg's or Seymour Duncan's
Poll Options
View poll results: Emg's or Seymour Duncan's
Emg 81 and 60
8 30%
Seymour Duncan AHB-1s Blackouts
19 70%
Voters: 27.
Im am thinking about changing the pickups in my guitar and I want to know what you think and why?

Emg
81(B)60(n)

Or

Seymour Duncan Blackouts
AHB-1s

Im thinking more of the Blackouts.....
I'm thinking more of guitar gear and accessories.

edit: whoops sorry i guess this could go in electric guitar, im an ass.
Last edited by slash4114 at Mar 21, 2009,
Blackoutss FTW!!

I got them on my Ibanez RGR421 and I couldnt be happier. I was having a quarrel about the EMG 81/85 or the SDBs. I listened to a few vids on each on YouTube, and I enjoyed the Blackouts alot more than the EMGs.

The Blackouts have an amazing clean tone and have a much better dirty tone when you crank the distortion.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Classic P-90's
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Quote by job153
Classic P-90's

Those can totally get t3h br00talz

Nice pickups, nonetheless.

IMO, I'd take the EMG's, as much as I hate EMG's (well, all active pickups for that matter).
Why do you hate active pickups? I never played active but...... I like a more mid rage and trebble sound no so much bass....which is better for that active or passive?
I find EMG's to sound too sterile, and no matter what the application, they make all guitars sound essentially the same. PLus, actives in general require a huge hole to be cut in the bottom of your guitar for the battery and all that. Just a personal preference.
Intresting......emgs do make all guitar sound the same and are to dark and not clear for my that why im asking about the blackouts since their name is the emg killers...
I've heard some say they're fantastic, I've heard others say they'll have nothing to do with them after trying them out. I just don't like the fact that I have to gut the ass of my guitar to fit a battery in there. The more you hack up a body, the more it loses its tonal integrity.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
I would go with the SD's but it depends and what guitar and what you play

A Jackson King V and I play mostly heavy metal for the 80-90's and some to day and sometimes blues.
EMG's are decent for blues, as I've seen James Hetfield practice some bluesy stuff on his guitars before a show and it sounds really nice. Modern day stuff can be had with EMG's, as can old thrash metal from the eighties and nineties.
I personally prefer the SD's to EMG's now.The blackouts have a more organic tone it seems,and that's something I need in my music.Actives are good if you have a rig that's set up for them,but if your rig isn't matched well for them then they have no real benefit over passive pups IMO.If you throw them in a low end guitar and play it through a SS practice amp then you wont get much of an improvement at all,but through a naturally high gain tube amp they can sound pretty nice.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I had EMG 81-60 and they were a nice combo. I like 'em.

I just got a set of Blackouts and I'm waiting on some pickup rings to finish the job. They'll go on my Carvin DC127.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by Pr0gNut
I personally prefer the SD's to EMG's now.The blackouts have a more organic tone it seems,and that's something I need in my music.Actives are good if you have a rig that's set up for them,but if your rig isn't matched well for them then they have no real benefit over passive pups IMO.If you throw them in a low end guitar and play it through a SS practice amp then you wont get much of an improvement at all,but through a naturally high gain tube amp they can sound pretty nice.

Pr0gz_Nutz!!!

oh, yeah, listen to him ^ he knows what the **** he's talking about.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Pr0gz_Nutz!!!

oh, yeah, listen to him ^ he knows what the **** he's talking about.

VIC!!!!!

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

you hsouldnt ask here. theres a bandwagon against EMG's. Kinda like the one against spiders and MG's. I say EMG. Im not a wagoner so im not gonna say blackouts suck. Outside of UG, most people like EMG's and prefer them over blackouts. or maybe it's because every guitat has them these days.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
you hsouldnt ask here. theres a bandwagon against EMG's. Kinda like the one against spiders and MG's. I say EMG. Im not a wagoner so im not gonna say blackouts suck. Outside of UG, most people like EMG's and prefer them over blackouts. or maybe it's because every guitat has them these days.

Not true.Plenty of people on UG use EMG pups,and a lot of them swear by them for metal and harder genres.It comes down to a matter of personal preference really.Blackouts have a seemingly more organic tone than EMG pups but I personally think EMG's are higher output and have a more focused sound.EMG also offers a lot more active pup options,and that's why a lot of people prefer them over the SD active family which to my knowledge is made up of only 4 pickups.

Personally I prefer the tone of Blackouts and they sound a little more noiseless to my ears, though for the vast majority of people with most gear, active pickups of any kind are an awful choice anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by King of King V
Do they come in passive??? I heard that they do but I can't find it.

The passive EMG pups are pretty bad IMO,and as far as Duncan goes they make several high output passives like the JB,Distortion,and so on.If I remember correctly their livewire 18 volt active pup is based on the duncan distortion passive,but with an active design.

I think EMG pickups look like crap.

Just throwin it out there
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
There's a passive version of the EMG. It's the DiMarzio D'Activator. I got a pair of those on my BD guitar. They're real good on SS amps.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
There's a passive version of the EMG. It's the DiMarzio D'Activator. I got a pair of those on my BD guitar. They're real good on SS amps.

Also the X2N and D Activator X models.

Then there are bareknuckle models like the warpig which is pretty high output and for actives there's the SD 18 volt livewire active which just might be the most "metal" active pup I've heard.