I've played guitar for six years and I have been asked to play bass for a band. The thing is, I know nothing about bass. I'm pretty confident I can get the hang of it in no time. What I'd like to know is what would be the best instrument for my price. I'm looking around 400-600 range on a bass guitar, 1000-1500 for a head/cabinet. To get an idea of the style of music I'd be playing, here's a link to the band's myspace. www.myspace.com/monolithsounds All help would be greatly appreciated.
Well since you're being demoted to bass player (aka Roadie), what you really need to do is invest that money into weights so you'll be able to carry around the band's gear
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
Jk. but in all seriousness Ibanez puts out some good basses that would work with that grindcore thing for about the amount you want to pay
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
I don't know what kind of sound you want out of a bass, but Fenders will always be a good bet, a used MIA jazz or precision are in your price range, as are the MIM, but I would also throw out schecter as an option, their basses are commonly used in the same genres as their guitars. I really like my schecter stiletto, got it for $500 at GC, and now I want the schecter c-4.

I can't really help you with amps, I don't have much experience with high end setups, (i.e. above $400).
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
honestly

Schecter Stilleto Custom
you can get it for just over 500

I don't think you can go wrong with it. I absolutely love it, and I prefer it over the 1000+ dollar basses ive played
hmm. I'd get an Ibanez or Schecter, a quality fuzz, maybe a bass big muff or Bass Blowtorch, then get a loud, heavy rig with some 15's, I believe Hartke has some excellent cabs. they also make nice heads, but I prefer SWR and GK.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by kook as kashmir
Well since you're being demoted to bass player (aka Roadie), what you really need to do is invest that money into weights so you'll be able to carry around the band's gear

Why have I seen so many guitards in the bass forum lately? If you play guitar but want to have a look see in the bass forum, is the spam really neccessary?

Anyway, some good advice, go into some stores and play as many basses as you can, through as many amps as you can.

For amps, have alook at the Warwick Profet series, and Ashdown amps, both make great amps for the price. Acoustic Amps are also good, but not as powerful. I'm partial to the Warwick amps myself, they have really nice tone.

For a bass, try out MIM Fenders, VM Squiers, Ibanez's, and G&L Legacy.
I just tried out a couple of G&L Legacy basses the other day, I'm gassing for the MM style humbucker one.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Thanks for the feedback guys. Before I posted this thread, I did a little research and was leaning towards the Schecter Stiletto C-4 Bass. I really wanted a 5 string and was going to go with the C-5 but I just don't like the color options. I'm now going to check out all your amp recommendations.
Quote by sureshred
if your being demoted well get a big loud amp and BE FELT (not heard)

screw that, make sure everyone hears you and feels you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

you could look into carvin amps. for that money you could get 1200watts from them and be damn sure you're heard and felt. their 4x10 neo cab supposedly handles the lows extremely well and it can handle 1200 watts alone so you'll only need the one cab. They are known to be pretty versatile amps too, and i don't doubt it because it has so many knobs and a graphic eq.

you could get the full 1200 watts at 4 ohms bridged(it has two power amps in the head) with this setup.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX410

or you could get 800 watts with a full stack with the same head with 2 4ohm cabs. but that actually gets to almost $1500 since you can't seem to get this setup in a package deal.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
AShdown, hartke, swr, secong hand ampeg, peavey, all good for bass amps.

Fender, or ibanez atk would be good as well. And your not being demoted.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
ibanez makes ****ty basses, the sound the pups get sounds like peter griffin ripping farts.

If you're playing anything rock based buy a MIM fender P
If you're playing anything around the metal genre buy a shecter/warwick

As far as amps go i've always been an ampeg man, quality/well rounded sound. I would look into getting a tube head as as many 10s as possible
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
Quote by DrPepper09
ibanez makes ****ty basses, the sound the pups get sounds like peter griffin ripping farts.

As far as amps go i've always been an ampeg man, quality/well rounded sound. I would look into getting a tube head as as many 10s as possible

a nice, overused sound...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by DrPepper09

Hes probably the most sterotypical bassist in the world, and is evrey guitarist dream of a bassist, cant be heard.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well, I play a p with flats and play through an ampeg and still cut through amazingly, even better with my 'wick $$. If you want to play grindcoreish music (not my fancy but I'll take it) you're gonna want to get something along the lines of a good used GK or Peavey setup, then get a used Warwick corvette which go used around $600 or a new spector legend which are still pretty growly and play well if you don't mind the softness of a basswood body.