Page 1 of 4
So, i saw a bumper sticker that said "it's not that i'm old, your music really does suck", and it got me thinking: has anyone accused you of being incapable of "getting"/"understanding" their music (or any other form of art) when you do get it, but just think its bad?

example: i was at a concert, and there was a band performing that had a significant local following, who were going crazy. i didn't like it at all, so i asked one of their fans (who happened to be my friend) why they liked them. he said it was because of their "complexity and intricacy". i told him i didn't sense much of either in the performance, as i listen to a ton of complex and intricate music, and what was going on was just noise. he said "well, then, you just don't understand complex music". when, in reality, i do, i just that this music sucked.

any related stories or similar feelings?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I was once told that I don't understand the complexities and intricacies in 50 Cent's lyrics.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Prime Example: Rap

its just stupid, honestly
19/m/US/Schecter Addict

I'm not witty enough for this kinda crap.
yeah , a rapper once tell me that rap was complex

yeah , 3 drum-beat per second and a guy who say he has money and chicks and car

... really complex
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
People who like NuMetal and Screamo never seem to think I get it. "Its so good." Nope, its just thoughtless and generic.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Someone told me Bach sounded like crap.

Quote by Minkaro
What a dick, right? Skid Row are awesome
Quote by jetfuel495
Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.

If you don't like it, you most likely won't understand why someone else does.

This
i hate when people say that death metal/any music with screaming or growling isnt music or its crap. i think its because they hear the vocals and cant get by it but the guitarists and drummer and usually very talented
yeah i know. im only in high school but most all modern day bands suck and they claim to be complex or intricate like u said but they only play like 4 power chords in the song with the same drum pattern over again and their 2 verses and 3 minute long songs. compared to older bands like metallica, or lynyrd skynyrd with 7 to 9 minute songs and guitar solos.
Quote by guitarsftw
So, i saw a bumper sticker that said "it's not that i'm old, your music really does suck", and it got me thinking: has anyone accused you of being incapable of "getting"/"understanding" their music (or any other form of art) when you do get it, but just think its bad?

Everyone accuses me of not getting it when I tell them that Dreamtheater are musically inept and tool are about as complex as blink 182. I think a great deal of this boils down to the naivety of the accuser.
this reminds me of something a buddhist teacher said; the curry is the truth, the curry is neither good nor bad, the curry is simply the truth.

this applies to everything, good and bad are only an opinion, a perspective, one mans trash is another mans treasure and all that.
nothing.
Quote by ampoverload
yeah i know. im only in high school but most all modern day bands suck and they claim to be complex or intricate like u said but they only play like 4 power chords in the song with the same drum pattern over again and their 2 verses and 3 minute long songs. compared to older bands like metallica, or lynyrd skynyrd with 7 to 9 minute songs and guitar solos.

i have no idea what you are listening to but all modern bands arent on the radio...
Quote by ampoverload

Shut up.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Karvid
I was once told that I don't understand the complexities and intricacies in 50 Cent's lyrics.

Decades from now historians of the future will still be trying to unravel the complex tapestry that is "My gun go off"
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by pilgrimevan
"Hey dude turn the auto-tune off!"

"No dog that's cool"

haha, i love auto-tune. not for its musical qualities, it just sounds weird!
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Everyone likes this one local band at my school but its only because most of the guys in it are some of the "popular" kids from school.They played at our schools battle of the bands but 1.It wasn't my cup of tea and 2.I could barely understand what any band was playing because they were playing in the schools gym and it was really echo-y.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by bender424

... really complex
Try composing a beat. A GOOD beat. Next, try writing an entire stanza using triple syllable rhymes, followed by a stanza using internal rhymes as well as rhymes at the end of the lines.
Quote by NightBladeXx

You're just stupid, honestly
Quote by Karvid

Ok, you can have that one.

EDIT: But 50s first album was pretty damn good.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by jetfuel495
Try composing a beat. A GOOD beat. Next, try writing an entire stanza using triple syllable rhymes, followed by a stanza using internal rhymes as well as rhymes at the end of the lines.

You're just stupid, honestly

Ok, you can have that one.

Don't fuck with hip-hop and rap
Quote by bender424

... really complex

A metalhead once told me metal was complex

4 power chords on a 4/4 beat whilst croaking on about how evil they are

... really complex
if some rap isnt so complex, i want to see someone here make a good rap beat and rap to go with it. if you ever listen to underground rap, they say stuff so fast that it scares me.
Quote by NightBladeXx

I see rap as a way for people to fap themselves really. Look at me, im rich, i get "the bitches and hoes", im better than you etc etc.

Although i dont mind some of Eminems work, or any rap music that doesn't consist of what was mentioned in the first paragraph.
Quote by TheMidasTouch

Don't fuck with hip-hop and rap

Quote by teegman
A metalhead once told me metal was complex

4 power chords on a 4/4 beat whilst croaking on about how evil they are

... really complex

don't forget to tremolo pick it

EDIT:
Quote by Unourrit01
if some rap isnt so complex, i want to see someone here make a good rap beat and rap to go with it. if you ever listen to underground rap, they say stuff so fast that it scares me.

Not only that, but the rhymes are tricky as hell too.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by NightBladeXx

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Yeah people saying 'you dont understand man.. its too much for you' is just a nonesenseical point they make to try to defend something that they cant defend. Rap is an example.
I think all music had some technicality to it. Even Vanilla Ice...maybe. But to all it's own! I'll never understand in a million years how someone could listen to death metal regularly but hey they hear it differently!
Quote by Jay4GunsNRoses
People who like NuMetal and Screamo never seem to think I get it. "Its so good." Nope, its just thoughtless and generic.

That's exactly what I think about it, what can't I understand about drop tuning and powerchords on the lowest string?

I'll admit, I used to think death metal sucked, then, when I became better at guitar and music theory in general, I realized I was terribly wrong, so I guess it's one of the genres that some people just can't wrap their head around.
Quote by Karvid

50 Cent has fans that can use such an "advanced" vocabulary?
HERESY, I SAY

I kid, I kid
Quote by Garou1911
Decades from now historians of the future will still be trying to unravel the complex tapestry that is "My gun go off"

+a LOT
those stupid techno beats that they play at clubs....THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME ITS NOT MUSIC ITS JUST MMM CHH MMM CHH MMM CHH with some bass

EDIT" also on top of that DO THEY EVEN WRITE LYRICS?!
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Last edited by IRONMAIDENTLICA at Mar 21, 2009,
Im so sick of people dissing rap because they have heard a few songs by 50 or lil wayne and think rap is all about "hoes n bitchez". Listen to some Immortal Technique and tell me you think that is easy to write.
Quote by Unourrit01
i hate when people say that death metal/any music with screaming or growling isnt music or its crap. i think its because they hear the vocals and cant get by it but the guitarists and drummer and usually very talented

I'm sort of like that. I don't call the bands/genre crap, for the most part I just can't stand the growling and/or the lyrical content of it. I can respect their talent as individual musicians and do listen to a couple bands with growling vocals.
i think people fail to realise that there is no constant good or bad, if there was, the world just wouldnt make sense, everyone has different opinions and ideas in what they want to hear in music, and i feel that everyone is justified in enjoying the music that speaks best to them, why should you criticise someone for liking say rap, which you may see as talentless talking, while they think the metal you listen to is just stupid yelling..
nothing.
Page 1 of 4