I was recently at a concert, but forgot my digital camera. So I used my cellphone camera but the pictures turn out small and pixelated.

Does anyone know of a good program that allows me to zoom in on the picture, de-pixelate (if that's even a word), and save it like that?

Preferably a free program that I can download.

Thanks in advance.
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
I think you'd have a very hard time making a picture look clear if the source isn't.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
ya the whole thing in the movies where the fbi has a really bad pic and then some cronie hits the "enhance" button and then BAM its perfect is hollywood. Unless your original is good, you won't be able to get it a whole lot better without really high quality software and some skills.
Quote by chrishenderson0
ya the whole thing in the movies where the fbi has a really bad pic and then some cronie hits the "enhance" button and then BAM its perfect is hollywood. Unless your original is good, you won't be able to get it a whole lot better without really high quality software and some skills.

What he said.

But, if you want an image editing program, The GIMP is a good free one, but it's not going to be able to clear up anything.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Unless the image is stored in a higher quality than it's displayed you can't do anything (which is very likely).
If you post the pic i can maybe do it for you. It depends on the pic
I'm Luke.
They're in perfect quality when they're small, I just want to be able to make them clear when they're zoomed in.

@ Datrooper - here's one of the pics, they're in JPG btw:
Attachments:
IMAGE_031.jpg
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
Quote by Datrooper
If you post the pic i can maybe do it for you. It depends on the pic

No you can't.

OP if you zoom in and see those little squares? They are the pixels, stored bits of information. They cannot change once you have taken the photo.

There are programs that can blend the pixels but will not make it any clearer, just blurry. It is impossible to increase the quality from that.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
No you can't.

OP if you zoom in and see those little squares? They are the pixels, stored bits of information. They cannot change once you have taken the photo.

There are programs that can blend the pixels but will not make it any clearer, just blurry. It is impossible to increase the quality from that.

Your right about part of it. You're wrong that it can't be done. There are programs that do this, and I happen to have one. They are very expensive, and sometimes work, it depends on if the picture is sharp to begin with or not. The original picture wasn't very sharp on this one, so i just made it bigger and "de-pixelized" it. I'll now work on seeing if i can make it sharper. If you have any others you'd like done, just post 'em.

EDIT: i need to go upload the pic, one sec
EDITAGAIN:
I'm Luke.
Last edited by Datrooper at Mar 21, 2009,
i recall a good free image RESIZER that can make it big and with fairly good quality. just google it.
Here it is again with a little effects and such added: I also made it a bit smaller to increase the quality
I'm Luke.
Quote by Datrooper
*Big crappy picture*

You've just completely proved my point by posting that.

Depixelation is just interpolation. Basically blurring between them. Sharpening won't do anything to clear up the image. It will just make the contrast harsher in the blurs.

Unless you have an extraordinary program (which I know you don't given the results, and the fact you don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying about) it is impossible. You are trying to retrieve information that was never there is the first place.

Edit: To prove my point;

The image on the left is the original image. The one on the right is your attempt, just resized so it's the same size as the original.

If you had improved it at all, when it's compared at the same size your version would be better.....which it clearly isn't.

It's now more pixelated because you're sharpened blurred areas, and the colour and contract is completely ruined for the same reason.

It's impossible mate.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You've just completely proved my point by posting that.

Depixelation is just interpolation. Basically blurring between them. Sharpening won't do anything to clear up the image. It will just make the contrast harsher in the blurs.

Unless you have an extraordinary program (which I know you don't given the results, and the fact you don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying about) it is impossible. You are trying to retrieve information that was never there is the first place.

That's the exact same quality as the first picture, look i'll post them side by side, it's the exact same picture just bigger, the picture wasn't that great to begin with, no offense TS, it was taken on a phone.
(Invalid img)

EDIT: Ehh i agree the one with effects doesn't look too good, but if you look at this one, they are the same image quality, I didn't make it any better, i just resized it without losing quality, which is what TS wanted
I'm Luke.