Ok I am looking to buy a guitar, I am a first time buyer and have about a 300 USD budget. I am looking for a specific sound and need help. I have narrowed my selection down but I dont think some of the guitars I want have the potential to create the sound I am looking for. It is extremely hard to explain the sound I am looking for so If you click the link theres a song that has the punky 'wine' that I am looking for so heres the link and listen to the begginning of the second chorus specifically . Right before the helllo hello it gives a nice sound that I want. Also listen to the solo to get an idea of what I am looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8RAD8amE8

So my question is, what guitars have the potential to make this sound,, I realize there are effects hooked up but how would you describe this sound(dont say grunge), and what guitars would you reccomend. any in my price range? Would the epiphone wilshire reissue work for this? Would 2 humbuckers or 3 single coil pickups? Is there anything specific in the electronics of the guitar that would give it this type of sound? Well I hope I get some help even though I am new here.

EDIT: heres another song that might give you an idea of what im looking for, specifically the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDMKZWlC3E
Last edited by nate_0198 at Mar 21, 2009,
Sounds like a single coil kinda sound like a fender strat.....thats just me saying im not a big guy on that kinda tone. You proly won't get that tone foe 300 and if your new maby a squire strat will get you close.
Get something with single coils, a distortion pedal, and a chorus pedal.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
what you're looking for is pretty specific and is very hard to do on your budget. with particular tones, amp is the first go-to. the guitar is more about playability more than anything else - the sound out of particular guitars tends to be more of a fine-tuning thing.

if you insist on the guitar regardless, i would look at getting a squier strat and changing the pickups. look at what kurt used - fender jaguar or jagstang or something, im not too sure. try to find out what sort of pickups he used too.
with your budget, getting particular sounds is not an easy thing to do, you pretty much have to go with what best suits your money, rather than sound preference. really, only when you get to 600+, then you can start going for that sort of thing
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I know kurt cobain usually used fenders but I dont have that kind of cash flow. ya know but I am interested in what gives them that kind of sound so I can find a guitar that gives a similar sound but is a lot less expensive . na mean?
i doubt you could get anything that specific with your budget really. amp first, then start talking guitar

squier strat is probably the closest you could get
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Bob_Smith
i doubt you could get anything that specific with your budget really. amp first, then start talking guitar

squier strat is probably the closest you could get

Ok lets say I got an squier affinity strat (are they really that bad?)
What kind of amp(s) would you suggest I look into for that type of sound?
Quote by nate_0198
Ok lets say I got an squier affinity strat (are they really that bad?)
What kind of amp(s) would you suggest I look into for that type of sound?

Are you just starting out and what equipment do you have?
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
No Squiers are not bad, especially since you're just starting out. People will b*tch and whine about them here on UG but most likely they themselves aren't playing on anything much better. A Squire Affinity Strat is a good way to start off as your first guitar.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
probably a marshally something or rather. unfortunately for you, kurt used mesa/boogies, which dont even come near your price range even used at the lowest model i believe.

its really difficult with your budget. youre going to have to ask someone else. itll be really hard to get anything tube with whatever you have remainder from the guitar - youd even be hard pressed with the whole 300. as for solid state... ive never really paid much attention to them, plainly because tubes sound better.

so from here on i cant really help.
anything that i would recommend is at the very least 2 times your budget. youre going to have to save up imo

the best i could give you would probably be a modelling practice amp, but i have to say, anything anyone recommends wont satisfy you, because of that budget
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Last edited by strat2finish at Mar 22, 2009,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. I think I am just going to spend the 300 on a guitar then save up for an amp this summer as my bud has a extra ****y amp i can barrow till then. I am going to try to find a used standard strat for under 300. And if not I will try to find that squier jagmaster. I hope all goes as planned.

ahh crap one last question, How would that squier jagmaster's quality/tone/durability be compared to the fender jags pre-reissue that kurt cobain used?
Last edited by nate_0198 at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by nate_0198
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. I think I am just going to spend the 300 on a guitar then save up for an amp this summer as my bud has a extra ****y amp i can barrow till then. I am going to try to find a used standard strat for under 300. And if not I will try to find that squier jagmaster. I hope all goes as planned.

ahh crap one last question, How would that squier jagmaster's quality/tone/durability be compared to the fender jags pre-reissue that kurt cobain used?

inferior in every aspect, as is typical when comparing a subsidary to a parent company. The Jagmaster is suprisingly good quality with a pickup change.

I doubt you're going to find a strat for under 300, plain and simple. It just doesn't work that way usually, unless someone really needs money fast. I would just buy the jagmaster, get some good pups and work up to a cheap tube combo.