I've heard Angus Young and Tony Iommi do solos on them but Angus does sloppy kind of solos and Tony does a funny kind of solo (and everyones gonna go "what's that supposed to mean" and argue that angus isnt sloppy and tony is a god etc?) And Kurt Cobain, Pete Townshend and Andrew Stockdale (Wolfmother) all use them and can't solo much, so can you get solos out of them like Strat and Les Paul players get? I've heard people say they're easier to play, ive never tried one so i dont know but how is a guitar so much easier or harder to play than any other?
Uh, Kurt played Strats, Teles, Jaguars, Mustangs, and Jagstangs, not SGs.
Angus Young isn't a great soloist, I'll give it to you. He's a great riffer though.
Tony Iommi is missing two finger tips on his fret hand.
Pete Townshend plays Les Pauls more than SGs.

I have an SG, and I can solo on it just fine. In fact, I can solo on it easier than my RG and BC Rich because of the set neck and the cutaway, where I have perfect access to all the frets.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Uhhh...you can play any solo on an SG. I know an older guy who plays sort of blues rock solos on an SG and my friend does sweep picking and shred crap on his. It depends on what YOU want to play.
Kurt Cobain didn't play SGs? I got a picture of him playing one right on my desktop background
Quote by tom1thomas1
Kurt Cobain didn't play SGs? I got a picture of him playing one right on my desktop background

I demand you share this.
Pics or no proof.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I demand you share this.
Pics or no proof.

This.

Kurt was a Fender guy!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Frank Zappa, one of the all-time greatest, played an SG primarily.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

Angus Young isn't a great soloist, I'll give it to you. He's a great riffer though.

i think he is.listen to the solo for Whole Lotta Rosie...
Yes kurt played an SG.
off kurts equipment.com

4). Bluish Gibson SG Standard, pickups taped in. Used in Tijuana where it was broken in half and had the neck broken off. It reappears at the HUB Ballroom on 1/6/90. However, a guitar resembling guitar #14 below may be the (or one of?) the HUB guitar(s) (Seen on pg.131 in (25))(41)(57).

However this was a one off.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ive got a mate with a sg standard n his is lovely to play, dare i say better to play than my custom les paul at times on the higher neck n they sound real good too.

Just go to a shop n try one see what u think
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by tom1thomas1
I've heard people say they're easier to play, ive never tried one so i dont know but how is a guitar so much easier or harder to play than any other?

Listening to what other players say is the only time EVER your own ears will screw you over.

Just play one, man.

Then tell me it didn't sound different. Go on, I'll wait.

Well?
GTFO my sig
Last edited by Th6r6a6sH at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Ian hawkins
Yes kurt played an SG.
off kurts equipment.com

However this was a one off.

+100000000000000000....

I've always considered the SG as "the guy who no one else would expect he would "stick it to the man" but then he does it and everyone starts to take him seriously", or something like that.

In few words, after playing (and soloing) with a SG, you'll never say it's a guitar like the other ones.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
check out derek trucks or frank marino
Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special
Fender Blues Jr
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
Quote by Shrexter
I love how bluesy solos are funny solos.

1+ and lol.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Quote by LedFender
Clapton used an SG in his Cream days...

+200000000000000000

Exactly. Clapton is beastly as a lead guitarist. So...plus I've covered a lot of songs varying from different artists and I've played each solo on it..so..what's that tell you?
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Uh, Kurt played Strats, Teles, Jaguars, Mustangs, and Jagstangs, not SGs.
Tony Iommi is missing two finger tips on his fret hand.
Pete Townshend plays Les Pauls more than SGs.

I have an SG, and I can solo on it just fine. In fact, I can solo on it easier than my RG and BC Rich because of the set neck and the cutaway, where I have perfect access to all the frets.

The statement about being able to solo on a 22 fret (im assuming) SG easier than on a 24 fret (again assuming) RG due to better fret access is just plain stupid I'm sorry. No way in hell an SG has better fret access than an RG.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
The statement about being able to solo on a 22 fret (im assuming) SG easier than on a 24 fret (again assuming) RG due to better fret access is just plain stupid I'm sorry. No way in hell an SG has better fret access than an RG.

Guess what...
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
I believe Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria uses them
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
Guess what...

Mmm? I'm waiting to be impressed.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
I believe Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria uses them

This is true, he uses a double neck.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
Mmm? I'm waiting to be impressed.

It does
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube

My buddy's stepdad has this guitar and it's incredible... the heel starts around the 20th fret or so, as you can see in the picture.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
wow this is such a dumb thread..... its like saying Jordans make you a better basketball player
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Quote by Frusciante2323
wow this is such a dumb thread..... its like saying Jordans make you a better basketball player

Not at all.. he's asking which guitar is easier to solo on, not if it will actually make you play better

It's like asking if you'd rather play basketball in Jordans or combat boots
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
It does

I still don't believe it. Considering you can't possibly reach 2 of the frets on an SG that you can quite easily on both of my RG's atleast.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
guitar=/=guitar ability
I hope you don't think a guitar will make you better or worse
I personally feel that your original post is full of fail.

To answere your question; Guitars are different to play on because of; where the bridge is, neck shape, neck size, body size, string guage,
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
I still don't believe it. Considering you can't possibly reach 2 of the frets on an SG that you can quite easily on both of my RG's atleast.

^That post is stupid^
My SG has an extra two frets that I can reach EASILY.Hell I can easily touch the back of the pickups.
Part of the criteria for the SG's design was better fret access.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
this argument about whether kurt cobain used SGs or not is silly. he didn't regularly use SGs but he did have one (bleach era) which he smashed. he also sometimes used epiphone les pauls around that time too.

but in answer to the thread: SGs are my favourite guitars for soloing on. I've tried many many other guitar designs and not one has come close.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp

Heel starts at 17th fret.

Fenders/older Ibanezes (pre AANJ) have heels starting at 15th fret.

Newer Ibanezes have heel around the 17th fret.

So overall I'd have to say that SG's have superior fret access, although just barely. So suck one, all of you who just argued instead of taking two minutes and Google Images to provide evidence.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N