So I have $400 dollars and I'm looking for a 5 string, my only problem is that reviews for guitars are so varied that it's really hard to find a reliable opinion. Instead I decided to just get many opinions from the users of this fine forum.

I've been looking at the Schecter Deluxe-5 because it gets generally good reviews, but there's also the Schecter Omen-5 and the Ibanez SR305 as well as many others, so I'd love your suggestion on what 5 string I should get on my $400 budget (it obviously doesn't have to be one of the ones I mentioned).

EDIT: I might possibly buy an Ibanez GSR205 to keep some money for a nicer amp. For those with experience with the bass, will it be high enough quality to satisfy me for a year or so? There's no point in saving money if I'm buying trash.

It is my first bass as you may have guessed but I have guitar knowledge and know enough to tell you what I want:

I'll be playing hard rock and metal, but I'm not into hitting the e-string all day or just doing thrash strumming. I'm more into the kind of bass riff you'd hear on an Audioslave song like Shadow On the Sun or any of Tool's stuff.

So I want a generally cleaner and smoother tone with the versatility to distort nicely and hopefully even slap if I get into that (although I don't really mind if it can't slap well). Action has never been an issue for me so that is more or less irrelevant to my choice. I'd like it to have versatile EQs. That just about covers it.

Basically, think Tool or Audioslave. I really need that sound in the bass that I buy. Remember, though, I will only get a 5-string. Sorry if that boxes you in :/

Oh, and I'd love it if you could recommend a cheap, reliable amp if you wouldn't mind.
Last edited by FlyingLeukemia at Mar 22, 2009,
dude ill sell you a warwick rockbass 5 string and a 300 watt GK bass amp w/ 4x10 cab with all the cables and everything for like 800. i paid about $600 for the amp and $400 for the bass.

theyre good, i just dont really want to play anymore and i need some cash
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

In loving memory of that damn game of poker

Private first class of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Last edited by turtlemcdoogle at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by turtlemcdoogle
dude ill sell you a warwick rockbass 5 string and a 300 watt GK bass amp w/ 4x10 cab with all the cables and everything for like 800. i paid about $600 for the amp and $400 for the bass.

theyre good, i just dont really want to play anymore and i need some cash

$800 dollars is not $400 dollars, therefore I can't afford it. Sorry, bro.
Quote by Levi79
dude, join a bass forum of some kind, you will get much better answers most likely

I'm on a bass forum right now.
Quote by FlyingLeukemia
$800 dollars is not $400 dollars, therefore I can't afford it. Sorry, bro.

i know, i was just throwin it out there just in case.

see i'd sell the amp by itself, but i dont want to sell the bass but keep the amp.

that'd just kinda suck.
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

In loving memory of that damn game of poker

Private first class of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Quote by Levi79
dude, join a bass forum of some kind, you will get much better answers most likely

Bro, he's in the bass forum of a guitar website, I think what he's doing is pretty justified.
I own an Ibanez SR305, for what you're describing I'm adding +1 to its' vote.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
SR305 is a wicked little bass. amazing sound.

Audioslave used a 4 string, for that sound a used Fender 5 string jazz bass of some kind would be best.

good luck with getting Tool sound at your budget.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
SR305 is a wicked little bass. amazing sound.

Audioslave used a 4 string, for that sound a used Fender 5 string jazz bass of some kind would be best.

good luck with getting Tool sound at your budget.

Yeah I know, but five strings seem to be much better. And although I can drum to Tool, I won't be able to play their bass for a while, so I was basically just using their general tone as a reference.
Last edited by FlyingLeukemia at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by FlyingLeukemia
Yeah I know, but five strings seem to be much better. And although I can drum to Tool, I won't be able to play their bass for a while, so I was basically just using their general tone as a reference.

well, I did suggest a used 5 string jazz bass.

and 5 is great, much better movement.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
well, I did suggest a used 5 string jazz bass.

and 5 is great, much better movement.

And if he can't get a used Fender Jazz there is always the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V .
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Levi79

He's in a bass forum, and anyway; TalkBass think that Thunderbirds are good and talk about nothing but their sponsorship deals. I like UGs bass section much more.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 22, 2009,
i have a beautiful schecter diamond series elite 5 im selling for 400ish
i bought it for 800
pm me if your interested
i own an Ibanez SR305 and it sounds amazing and plays fast for me. active pickups that you can use to dial in the overdriven sound you want and turn it to passive for nice jazz tones. that bass has been one of the best ive ever owned
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
http://www.rondomusic.com/HXB405NATSPALT.HTML

Kick major ass, Imho. I got to play a friend's on my B100. The tone was pretty much indescribable. It was punchy, and I could get it gritty if need be. It kind of reminded me of an ESP, look wise. With the pickups, active preamp, and a passive/active pull tap, I think that it could fit any style with ease.

Take this as you will, but this is coming from someone who loves all of Rondo's products. You may find something better, but I just wanted to throw this out there.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA