Hello everyone! i am in a bit of a situation here.... im torn between getting the les paul plain top or the goth. the downside of the goth = no fret inlays and i really need those. Also its a "theme" guitar and people get tired of those quickly from what i heard. downside of the standard = i have no clue, thats why im here. i visited many sites, and everyone said different things. ahhh im in need of advice and help!!
Last edited by Standard&Plain at Mar 22, 2009,
Have you tried playing both? Both have their ups and downs, it's really all about how they feel compared to each other. It's going to be your guitar, so I wouldn't buy one or the other just based on what other people say.

That being said, I prefer the Plain Top, even if it is more expensive.
The standard is going to be better quality than the Goth , because the Goth model is a goth version of the epi studio, which isn't that good. I'd go for the standard, but it's your decision.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

some people on like mylespaul.com say get the goth, it doesnt matter about the inlays...thye personally use the side ones, but i use the board and the side together. thats my reason for the standard option. so ill go to a shop and play both and see. im just worried that it will be too hard to play the goth with no inlays except 12.
well personally i don't use the inlays
and no matter which one i'd get, i'd change the pickups and some other stuff
so I guess I'd go for either one that feels and looks better to me, and if the goth is cheaper, that's a plus =) it's made of the same materials anyways (i believe)
Quote by Darkflame
well personally i don't use the inlays
and no matter which one i'd get, i'd change the pickups and some other stuff
so I guess I'd go for either one that feels and looks better to me, and if the goth is cheaper, that's a plus =) it's made of the same materials anyways (i believe)

No. The Plain top has a maple cap, which changes the tone drastically. I have owned the Plain Top for a long while now, couldn't be happier.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
If you can't play without fretboard markers then why did you make this thread?

Get the standard.