im thinking about changing the pickups on my fat strat, making it an hsh

i play a heavier 3 doors down/trivium thrash/brad delson/srv blues kind of thing
probably will go passive.

these are the pickups im looking at. hoping people could give opinions on them

bridge: dimarzio d sonic dp207/tone zone dp155/air zone dp192, most likely the d sonic
middle: fender texas specials/ fender big dipper/dimarzio virtual vintage blues dp402

neck: this is the one im a bit iffy on. looking for a really nice warm lead tone here that can suit blues drive, a huge load of metal distortion and general rock cleans. i tend to play the first puppets solo with this - and for that matter, that whole middle section of the song.
hopefully ill get someone who knows what belmans are... looking for something similar to the belman vintage neck pickup, though any and all recommendations are welcome

edit: and i play through other amps, just not the one in my sig. marshall jcm800 combo and marshall tsl100/1960a are two of them
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Mar 22, 2009,
i couldnt really tell, are they active?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
I would get the tone zone in the bridge. The Alnico V magnet will give a warmer tone that's better for blues, but it's also high gain. It'll suit both well. I would go with a Air Norton in the neck. I would personally go with an Area pickup for the middle. You should also change the pots for a warmer tone. Strats come with 250k pots, 500k pots make humbuckers sound warmer.

Dual coil humbuckers don't sound like humbuckers. The reason single coils sound the way they do is their size. They'll still have mostly single coil characteristics, except they'll sound beefier and they won't hum. They will still have the single-coil edge and bite.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Mar 22, 2009,
no, they are all passive. They are basically humbuckers stacked up and rewound to fit into a single-coil slot yet retain humbucker-style tone

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about a Fat Strat in the style of S-S-H. So yeah listen to the guy above me, Air norton in the neck, maybe even a Fred
Last edited by ryoga415 at Mar 22, 2009,
i was really only going to use the middle, occasionally the neck, for blues, i forgot to mention. ok, changing pots will probably be in order...

atm im leaning towards the d sonic for the bridge, hence the reason it was listed first. bridge will almost be used purely for metal (first 2 album linkin parky sort of sound)
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by ryoga415
no, they are all passive. They are basically humbuckers stacked up and rewound to fit into a single-coil slot yet retain humbucker-style tone

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about a Fat Strat in the style of S-S-H. So yeah listen to the guy above me, Air norton in the neck, maybe even a Fred

im open to the idea of keeping the guitar as an s-s-h, but aesthetically i liked h-s-h. that was the only reason
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
air norton looks pretty nice
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
do you have any opinions on any particular area, or are they all fairly similar? i think maybe the '61 because its less trebly, but i dont know
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
for HSH set up:
bridge pup - Dimarzio D-sonic (you'll find with this pup is very versatile. it is great for everything from cleans to metal. This is my favorite pup)
middle pup - Dimarzio YJM (great sounding versatile pup, it can do hard rock no problem. Sounds great when soloing)
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell (great clean pickup. It sounds great for distorted leads and does not muddy up.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I'd say a pair of Breeds, fat, warm and articulate - great for heavier, bluesy stuff. If you want the D-Sonic in the bridge the Breed matches with it really well.

The Tone Zone isn't what you want, you'll probably find it too busy and too in-your-face.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 22, 2009,