Page 1 of 2
Ok so here it is. As rare as these amps are I bet a few of you out there have one or have played one.

It's basically a hot-rodded jcm, but the cleans sound like a fender bassman. So you basically get the best of both worlds, and a great versatile amp.

Very similar to the laney protubes, sovtek migs. I like the laneys better, but this amp blows the mig 50 out of the water.

I just bought an mk60, and i love it so far. Gonna make some changes to the preamp section to accept 12ax7s, but it already sounds great. Gets awesome mid-gain and high gain tones as well as clean.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/joseph3000/redbear/index.html
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Don't own one, but tried one where I worked they sound good look good, but I agree I liked My laney AOR better
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
seriously, someone buy that. no bids, like a day left. its a steal. trust me these amps sound fantastic.

and i've decided that after i changed the pin-outs to accept 12ax7s, i like it way better than the laney. The midrange is much crunchier.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Im not sure it really needs an "official" thread because really no one on here will have one.

Still...more amps the better.
I'd often wondered about these amps! There was a guy selling a MK60 on craigslist for $350.00. These where new to me so I have no idea if that's a good deal or not.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
if it was in lancaster PA, i got that one! If not, thats a great deal.

and its funny because i posted in a thread about red bear amps and then people bitched that i bumped an old thread and told me to make an official red bear thread, and now people are bitching that i made an official thread.

silly UGers.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
The one I seen was in akron/ canton in ohio.

And this can be quite true
silly UGers!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
ah so i feel really stupid. my red bear was sounding great at bedroom volume, really weird i know, and when i turned it up it got a little farty. i put some different tubes in the preamp section and they helped a lot, but then i realized...when i biased the amp, it was on a low volume!!! wow im so dumb. now it is going to sound a million times better when i lower the bias, which was all the way up. Also shows how much of a tank this amp is. i pushed my tubes to the max for 4 weeks with no problems.

also i got to A/B this amp with a 5150. Ha, the 5150 sounded like an MG compared to it. Granted it was a 5150 II.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
$300 !!

can it do metal??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I saw one of these a few months back on HC for $250 with a lifetime supply of NOS tubes, I have no idea why I didn't buy it

Quote by pmeg568c
if it was in lancaster PA, i got that one!

I didn't know you lived in Lancaster, my dad grew up in Delta
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh i live in CT, i drove 7 hours to get this bad boy.

and this amp can definitely do metal. it pretty much nails a converge tone, but it might need an OD to tighten it up. it has more than enough gain though. and like the said the cleans are amazing. the soundclip on youtube does not do it justice.

i will post some when i get the bias fixed.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by MatrixClaw
I saw one of these a few months back on HC for $250 with a lifetime supply of NOS tubes, I have no idea why I didn't buy it

I didn't know you lived in Lancaster, my dad grew up in Delta

But you buy everything!
Seriously, I was afraid to mention the website where I found a customer-returned Traynor YCS50 for $680 (normally $920) because I was afraid you'd see my thread and buy the only customer-returned item before I could order it.

On topic, I've really never heard of RedBear or Sovtek... other than Sovtek tubes. Russian companies, right?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
There was a nice red bear amp I almost got on craigslist that I had mega drool for. They are great amps. Apparently replacing the tubes on them is tricky though.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
they have weird russian tubes, but they now have NOS tubes, the 6n2ps. i converterdmine to 12ax7s, but i might put the old ones back.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
what is this amp similar to? you said JCM, but which one?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
sorry im dumb, i should edit that first post

this amp can have two totally different sounds

If you crank the master and use the preamp as volume, you basically have a fender bassman

cranking the preamp and using the master as volume will get you a nice crunch up to the br00talz. (ha) people say it sounds like a jcm 800, but i guess it really doesn't. it has its own sound. it is less compressed and a little harsh, but in a "roaring" kind of way. But the 800 is what it is compared to most of the time.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I have a Red Bear Mk120, and I have played through i for years. I personally play metal, but I have used it for recording blues and southern rock, and it excels at all. I will post some sound clips in the next day or so.
My Band - Destruction Evolution
Amps: Red Bear Mk120, Laney Pro Tube 100. Primary guitar: Gibson SG Voodoo, Backups: are a Jackson Dinky with Bill Lawrence 500-XL pickups, and a RR Flying V with EMGs, LTD F-250 with EMGs
yea the cleans on these amps are great too. i've never played a 120. it must be deafening.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Here are some amp tone tests we did messing around in my studio. It was an informal thing, we just stuck a sm57 in front of a red bear MK120 - tweaked settings, and moved the mic around to see what it could do other than metal.

http://www.destructionrecords.com/projects/amp_tone_tests/
Amps: Red Bear Mk120, Laney Pro Tube 100. Primary guitar: Gibson SG Voodoo, Backups: are a Jackson Dinky with Bill Lawrence 500-XL pickups, and a RR Flying V with EMGs, LTD F-250 with EMGs
Ok I am getting really excited...I cant find anyone that says anything bad about these amps. I found a guy who is selling a MK60 for 250 bucks and I think I'm gonna buy it now.

Question is...what kind of cab should I get to pair up with this well? The only other head I've owned is (sigh...I am ashamed to say) a Marshall MG

So what type of cab should I get?
Elitists and Hypocrites
awesome dude you are gonna be happy. I would def get a cab with vintage 30s. If you have anymore questions about the amp ask because i have the same one.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
awesome dude you are gonna be happy. I would def get a cab with vintage 30s. If you have anymore questions about the amp ask because i have the same one.

Actually I do have a question...how much have you modded yours if at all? I know it doesnt take typical tubes but I've read nothing but good things about the ease of modding those amps.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by pmeg568c
ah so i feel really stupid. my red bear was sounding great at bedroom volume, really weird i know, and when i turned it up it got a little farty. i put some different tubes in the preamp section and they helped a lot, but then i realized...when i biased the amp, it was on a low volume!!! wow im so dumb. now it is going to sound a million times better when i lower the bias, which was all the way up. Also shows how much of a tank this amp is. i pushed my tubes to the max for 4 weeks with no problems.

also i got to A/B this amp with a 5150. Ha, the 5150 sounded like an MG compared to it. Granted it was a 5150 II.

I am now very interested in this line of amps from this comment. Granted I have a 5150 original and don't know if it's much different, but I would like to see another amp make my 5150 sound like an MG.

And I heard some soundclips from the other guy that posted and they sound good. Doesn't seem like much people have these amps around here or anywhere for that matter. Thinkin' I'll keep an eye open for one of these and grab it when I get the chance...
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Ok I am getting really excited...I cant find anyone that says anything bad about these amps. I found a guy who is selling a MK60 for 250 bucks and I think I'm gonna buy it now.

Question is...what kind of cab should I get to pair up with this well? The only other head I've owned is (sigh...I am ashamed to say) a Marshall MG

So what type of cab should I get?

haha join the club. I have an MG as well haha everywhere people are like 'what amp do you have' and i'm like 'FML'
haha in terms of cabs, look into Avatar cabs. They make great cabinets, you can choose what types of speakers you want in them.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by CSUTremonti777
That mesa looks perfect except its gone now tho lol.

****, I figured that would be a perfect setup. Assholes on CL need to delete their postings when they sell something instead of getting us all excited and then ****ting on it .

Oh well, but I would take recently said advice and invest in an avatar cab. I was just trying to find you something around the $300 range...
Congrats! Any good 4x12 4, 8 or 16ohm cab should work.
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Actually I do have a question...how much have you modded yours if at all? I know it doesnt take typical tubes but I've read nothing but good things about the ease of modding those amps.

i modded the pin outs of the preamp tubes to accept 12ax7s, because the amp comes stock with Russian 6N2P tubes which are 6 volt tubes compared to 12 volt. I also changed the value of my slope resistor but that isn't really necessary. If you can solder and follow a schematic the pre amp modification is fairly simple to do. Its just kind of a bitch to reach around the sockets. The 12ax7s in the amp don't really give you a better tone, but you can try hundreds of other tube combinations with that mod, while you only have a few choices if you keep the 6N2Ps.

As far as a cab for your price range i would also recommend an avatar. I used the amp with a 2x12 avatar cab with vintage 30s and it sounds awesome, but with a 4x12 it would just sound deadly. right now i play it through a 4x12 carvin cab with g12-t75 clones which aren't the best speakers and it still sounds awesome.

edit: I just looked at those links you posted and the second cab would actually be awesome. The mixture of the speakers in there is what i am planning to get for my red bear after some extensive research. The vintage 30s will bring out the mid range more and the g12h30s will smooth out of the highs (the amp can be a little harsh) and handle your bass frequencies very richly.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Last edited by pmeg568c at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by Amra
Congrats! Any good 4x12 4, 8 or 16ohm cab should work.

See I'm half tempted to at least for right now just get something on the cheaper side just so I can play it and then maybe somewhere down the line get new speakers or actually get a good cab.

Actually now that I've finished saying that...I'm more like 7/8 tempted
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by pmeg568c
i modded the pin outs of the preamp tubes to accept 12ax7s, because the amp comes stock with Russian 6N2P tubes which are 6 volt tubes compared to 12 volt. I also changed the value of my slope resistor but that isn't really necessary. If you can solder and follow a schematic the pre amp modification is fairly simple to do. Its just kind of a bitch to reach around the sockets. The 12ax7s in the amp don't really give you a better tone, but you can try hundreds of other tube combinations with that mod, while you only have a few choices if you keep the 6N2Ps.

Yeah while the Russian tubes sound great either way...I cant really see any drawback to changing out the sockets and gaining the ability to put however many different tube combinations in it.
Elitists and Hypocrites
ps arma, those clips sound awesome. when my band does some recordings ill post some.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Thanks pmeg, looking forward to hear some of yours. I have some heavier sounding recordings in a live environemnt I will try to post later as well.

I thought about having the preamp rewired to take 12ax7's but I decided not to because I was afraid it would lose some of it's distinctive tone - besides every damn tube amp uses 12ax7, and the 6n2p tubes are dirt cheap from ukraine and russia. I just ordered 16 of them for $34.00 from ebay. They are super easy to get from there.
Page 1 of 2