Poll: Should I route the Ibanez RG560 for H-S-H? or keep it S-S-H?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I route the Ibanez RG560 for H-S-H? or keep it S-S-H?
Keep it S-S-H for those sparkly strat cleans
19 42%
Route it for H-S-H. gotta have that fat humbucker in the neck
26 58%
Voters: 45.
Page 1 of 3
okay, i just bought a RG560 today and i'm planning to mod and repair it soon.
in order to spare myself retyping everything here's the link to my New Guitar Day thread

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091550
that link contains info on my guitar aswell as Very Big detailed pics so 56k beware!

anyways here's what i want to do:

1. Repair the crack in the neck. this is something i will most likely leave to a pro at my local guitar shop. i really don't wanna risk snapping my neck in 2.

2.finish. i don't know anything about painting so any help would be appreciated. help with things like, "what kind of sand paper to use" do i use primer? lacquer? paint? things like that.

3. electronics. i am replacing all the electronics. that's pickups, pots, wires, ect. i will probably need help on the wiring bit.

so far this is what i've decided to do:

1. Black solid finish with a chrome pickguard. i'm not sure if i wanna keep it S-S-H config or make it H-S-H config.

2. i'm dropping a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge but need some suggestion for middle and neck pups

3.I would also like to know if there is such thing as a chemical i can use to remove the rust from the Bridge as well as the bridge posts without damaging it.

here are some pics i took

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by SomebodySomeone
3.I would also like to know if there is such thing as a chemical i can use to remove the rust from the Bridge as well as the bridge posts without damaging it.

WD40, a slightly coarse cloth, and elbow grease?

Also, try any of DiMarzio's SC pickups in the middle position, and go for an Air Norton S neck pickup with a coil tap, as discussed in the other thread. It'll be like a Petrucci Ibanez without the Picasso finish!

Also, check out the Ultimate Wiring Diagrams thread on this forum for the wiring help
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
WD40, a slightly coarse cloth, and elbow grease?

Also, try any of DiMarzio's SC pickups in the middle position, and go for an Air Norton S neck pickup with a coil tap, as discussed in the other thread. It'll be like a Petrucci Ibanez without the Picasso finish!

Also, check out the Ultimate Wiring Diagrams thread on this forum for the wiring help

cool thanks,

i've been contemplating getting the old school Petrucci combo (air norton, steve's special) with the Air Norton S but i wasn't really sure if it sounded the same or similar to it's full humbucker version.

any ideas on a good middle pickup?
Probably just a True Velvet Middle would work nicely. especially when combined with a coil split bridge or middle pickup for cleans. I LOVE the tone I get from spitting the humbucker in my Kramer and blending it with the middle pickup. I'd totally see if you could wire it to where it splits the bridge pickup and combines it with the middle in the second position on the selector

And that combo would rule But he uses the D Sonic nowadays, hence my mentioning of the Petrucci combo According to DiMarzio's site, it's supposed to sound similar, but looking at it most of the specs are different. The DC resistance, the output, and the magnet!

Air Norton DP193:

Magnet: Alnico 5
Output: 270
DC Resistance: 12.58

Air Norton S:

Magnet: Ceramic
Output: 280
DC Resistance: 11.21

Also, you get slightly less high end with the S model... It probably wouldn't hurt to wire it up before doing anything with the finish to see how it sounds. You can send it back within 30 days if you don't like it and they'll send you a different pickup

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Probably just a True Velvet Middle would work nicely. especially when combined with a coil split bridge or middle pickup for cleans. I LOVE the tone I get from spitting the humbucker in my Kramer and blending it with the middle pickup. I'd totally see if you could wire it to where it splits the bridge pickup and combines it with the middle in the second position on the selector

And that combo would rule But he uses the D Sonic nowadays, hence my mentioning of the Petrucci combo According to DiMarzio's site, it's supposed to sound similar, but looking at it most of the specs are different. The DC resistance, the output, and the magnet!

Air Norton DP193:

Magnet: Alnico 5
Output: 270
DC Resistance: 12.58

Air Norton S:

Magnet: Ceramic
Output: 280
DC Resistance: 11.21

Also, you get slightly less high end with the S model... It probably wouldn't hurt to wire it up before doing anything with the finish to see how it sounds. You can send it back within 30 days if you don't like it and they'll send you a different pickup

cool stuff. i just might stick with the S-S-H config for now. i'm broke as it is already and i can't really afford to by a drill, the router bit, ect.

so for now, i'm set on Air Norton S for the neck and Steve's Special for the Bridge. still wondering about the middle though. i want a TRUE single coil for it though. not a Single sized HB.

thanks
True Velvet is a true SC

Any time, man

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
True Velvet is a true SC

Any time, man

cool i'll check it out

now, anyone with experience with guitar finishes?
*sees at least 20 people raise their hands at the same time*

Also, check out the sticky at the top of the forum

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
*sees at least 20 people raise their hands at the same time*

Also, check out the sticky at the top of the forum

at myself

thanks
No worries, we're all new once

If we're new again, we call that short term memory loss, which requires even MORE cranial applications of baseball ba- oh... >> forget I said that... *hides bat*

Stupid name.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Love to see old RG projects!
Best of luck, but why are you refinishing a black guitar black?

Well I like the look of tom morello's guitar so I'm painting it black whit a chrome pickguard. Plus this will be the first time I do more to a guitar than a simple setup.

And to the other guy, yes the crack goes from one side of the neck, through both screw holes, and ends at the other side of the neck
the carack in the neck is jsut the scarf joint the make when they create the neck. to fix that get some wood glue. then heat it up with a really hot washcloth. then pry the neck slighty more open.(of coarse youll want the strings off) then slide in some wood blue with something thin and rigid. a six inch ruler works well. then clamp that sucker shut with as many clamps as you can find. leave it clamped for at least a day. or more. afterword clean the glue squeeze off with a razorblade edge.

that will actually make it stronger that before.

im going ot make a post in my blog
the carack in the neck is jsut the scarf joint the make when they create the neck. to fix that get some wood glue. then heat it up with a really hot washcloth. then pry the neck slighty more open.(of coarse youll want the strings off) then slide in some wood blue with something thin and rigid. a six inch ruler works well. then clamp that sucker shut with as many clamps as you can find. leave it clamped for at least a day. or more. afterword clean the glue squeeze off with a razorblade edge.

im going to make a post in my blog about that

here
Quote by aporter

im going to make a post in my blog about that

here

I was talking about the crack that's about 1" above the scarf joint.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I was talking about the crack that's about 1" above the scarf joint.

The same method should work. Just be careful when you do it.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Quote by shadow phoenix
The same method should work. Just be careful when you do it.

To mint-sauce and shadow phoenix

Its actually one big crack in a rainbow shape. Do you guys think I will need wood filler and re drill the screw holes? Or will I be okay?
I don't know what other people would do, but if I was in that situation I would use wood filler and fill that crack. Considering it goes through the holes though, I'm not too sure. But I'd assume you fill it with dowel or something and redrill them. Wouldn't be too hard but I'd wait for a second opinion.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
well as it stands right now, it has the big crack that arches from one side, through BOTH screw holes, and continues down to the other side of the neck. that and there's only one screw holding down the nut. also, the nut seems to be a cheap chrome one with a shim under it, as it's a bit on the short side.

makes me wonder how the hell it has such great tuning stability despite all teh broken bones

right now i'm thinking i'll use glue to fix the crack, then use wood filler and redrill the locking nut holes, unless someone advised me to do otherwise.
okay so i bought some materials to start the fixing process.

right now i bought:

2 C-clamps
Titebond Wood Glue
A piece of Oak lumber to clamp the neck to
80 and 220 grit sand paper to start sanding down the body

in a minute i'll start clamping down the neck to fix it. wish me luck

EDIT:
here's a pic of my workstation for the next few weeks.

my blackberry next to my laptop and my tools

hopefully everything will work out great.

one question, should i keep it S-S-H config? or should i route it for H-S-H? i mean i already have an RG1570 with the H-S-H config. i think having those strat-sounding single coils would be nice, no?

EDIT2: added a poll
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Mar 28, 2009,
okay so i've taken teh whole guitar apart. does anyone know how to remove the locking studs?

as you can see i even took the entire bridge apart. does anyone know any household cleaning products i can use to clean the rust off the bridge without doing a damage to it?

those screws don't seem to have anything for me to latch a tool on it. anyone know how to remove them?
Quote by blandguitar
wd40 as suggested? which screws?

thanks,

well they're not screws but the screw inserts, i dunno what they're called
the steel hole thingies that you screw the studs into.
I think he means the threads for the studs

these things

sorry for the white edges
you could try screwing the studs into them and grabbing a clamp or some locking plyers and pulling em out, but i dunno if thats the best idea or not
YES! that's exactly what i meant! so anyone know how to remove them?

EDIT: to the guy above me,
i don't think they can just be pulled out. they are probably screwed in but how?
oh okay. i'll see what i can do tomorrow. i'm currently watching t.v. getting ready to go to sleep.

in other news, i finished glueing up the crack on the neck, now it's clamped shut and i'll keep it that way for about 2 days.

more pics tomorrow
Quote by JDbbx
Sad neck is sad

yeah look at the poor thing, it's missing it's eye(nut screw) and it's crying tears of pain(cracks)
Quote by SomebodySomeone
thanks,

well they're not screws but the screw inserts, i dunno what they're called
the steel hole thingies that you screw the studs into.

are you looking to rethread them?
Quote by blandguitar
are you looking to rethread them?

no, i just want it to take them off because i'm gonna sand down the guitar and repaint it. don't want any excess paint oozing in there and causing me problems when i put the studs back in. or will they be okay?
Quote by blandguitar
i'd just put some cloth in there, and tape over top. when you're done putting paint one take it out. you should be good

okay cool.

thanks
okay so the neck has been clamped shut for about 16 hours. was i supposed to clamp it really tight? as in as tight as possible without crushing the neck? or just a firm grip. cuz when i clamped it, i tightened the clamp firmly but not excessively. was i right in doing it like that?

starting the sanding on the body too.
I think you'll be okay, make sure it's firm, but not squeezing all the glue out.

EDIT: you gonna finish this thing natural? If not, just scuff sand it and paint over top. Saves time and shoulder muscles
------

Shwiggity.
k.

quick question. assumming i decided to make is H-S-H config is it possible to add a 3-way switch each to the Humbuckers to switch from inner coil-full-outer coil?

so something like this

neck humbucker ->3 way switch----->
Middle Single Coil-------------------------> 5 position pickup selector
Bridge Humbucker->3 way switch---->

EDIT: i'm repainting it a solid black with a chrome pickgaurd.

what's scuff sanding?
Page 1 of 3