So I've been playing guitar for almost four years now but have only now(as of literally a few minutes ago) attained the skill to play the solo to "Beer" by Reel Big Fish.

I feel like I should be playing stuff that's much harder in this point of my playing "career" I guess you could call it. Should I be?

EDIT: Am I in the wrong forum? I get the feeling that I am.
Yeah, this could probably go in GB or EG, but no worries.

Here's your problem; it doesn't matter how "long you've been playing", it matters how often and how well you practice.

With that in mind, what's your practice schedule like?
All that matters is if you are where you want to be. Do you feel like you ought to be pulling out some EVH ****, or are you happy where you're at?
The thing that really helped me progress in my guitar work is to start listening to a totally new style of music. Like when I first started playing guitar I was mainly country and softer rock, but then i started listening to metalcore and hard hard stuff and my speed and form has improved greatly. So just expand your horizons, different music styles use different tricks and skills in the guitar, master them all! That's my advice to you. But I still get stuck sometimes, you just have to persevere, practice, and concentrate. Good luck!!
How "seriously" have you been playing?

Are you practicing efficiently? (See my signature)

Also, that song is cool, thanks for introducing it to me.

MT is dead/alive at random times, I try to be here as much as possible.

Think about joining the chat in my signature and hanging for a bit, I idle in there often.

People progress at different rates... if you know HOW to practice efficiently, correct technique, and "put your mind to it" you will progress faster though, I can promise that.

Also that solo sounds wicked cool, I'm going to learn it. :P

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting so many helpful replies in such a short period of time.

Thanks everyone, I'll answer a few questions.

1) My practice schedule is really non-existant. As in I play when I feel like it. Although I try and learn a few songs that I like as well as practicing some that I've already learned and even try my hand at composing a few which I have succeeded in. Albeit as of a month ago I've little time to myself since I have a job now.

2) I'd like to be a little more technical and understand theory better which I'm sure go hand-in-hand. Speed wouldn't be such a bad thing either. Not saying I can't pick to save my life, but some sections I try and learn I'm like, "nope. can't even make an attempt"

3) Odds are my technique is horrible. No one's ever really commented on it to be honest.
Theres your problem.

1) Largest problem - You aren't dedicating enough practice time.

2) Speed works by starting slowly, building muscle memory, then slowly going faster. Even if you have to play a song at 20bpm, you'll slowly work your way up to normal speed. If you work slowly. (read my signature for the practice book)

2) Theory is like school (or home schooling) you have to have self-motivation and be willing to test and quiz yourself, and actually study and learn the material.

3) Post a video in this thread. Make sure to show your fretting hand, and picking hand.

We all feel we're not playing as good as we should be. We all believe that, given the amount of effort we've put into the instrument, we should be the next Steve Vai.

1) My practice schedule is really non-existant. As in I play when I feel like it. Although I try and learn a few songs that I like as well as practicing some that I've already learned and even try my hand at composing a few which I have succeeded in. Albeit as of a month ago I've little time to myself since I have a job now.

2) I'd like to be a little more technical and understand theory better which I'm sure go hand-in-hand. Speed wouldn't be such a bad thing either. Not saying I can't pick to save my life, but some sections I try and learn I'm like, "nope. can't even make an attempt"

3) Odds are my technique is horrible. No one's ever really commented on it to be honest.

You've outlined your problems and their solutions are staring you in the face.

Practice - Ok, so you don't have enough time to practice; but, are you using the little time you have efficiently? Waht you should do is grab a copy of Steve Vai's 30 hour Workout. It's organized in a very economical manner. Try that out. It'll, hopefully, give you a taste of the technical ability you possess, within a week of practice.

Odds are my technique is horrible

You want to be more technical with that type of technique? =P
Try to read Freepower's lessons on technique. Those are VERY helpful.
And PM him if you want to. He replies a bit late, but damn, he's helpful as hell.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
I have a very effective speed training routine which i heard from a friend. It utalizes the minor pentantonic scale box and expanded shapes(hope you know'em)

ok here is it descend the mp(minor pentatonic) expanded 2 shape in the key of A or start it on the 3rd fret on the low E then ascend the box shape shift your hand two frets then descend the expanded first shape then the same but in reverse.

hope it helps
Quote by hamle
I have a very effective speed training routine which i heard from a friend. It utalizes the minor pentantonic scale box and expanded shapes(hope you know'em)

ok here is it descend the mp(minor pentatonic) expanded 2 shape in the key of A or start it on the 3rd fret on the low E then ascend the box shape shift your hand two frets then descend the expanded first shape then the same but in reverse.

hope it helps

Something else that works -

Start off as fast as you can play it cleanly and perfectly. (Suggested you use a metronome starting off at xxbpm (where xx is the fastest you can play it cleanly and perfectly)
Practice until its comfortable, and you can do it pretty much effortlessly. (This includes cleanly+perfectly)
Increase speed by 2-3BPM
Practice until its comfortable, and you can do it pretty much effortlessly.
Increase speed by 2-3BPM
Increase speed by 2-3BPM
Increase speed by 2-3BPM
Increase speed by 2-3BPM
Increase speed by 2-3BPM

Weird.. that almost seems like with enough practice you can learn how to play most anything....

Ohshi-

Usually when I find myself a little downtime I just play for ****s and giggles. Yea, I could use the practice but finding what exactly to practice is my problem. Unless I'm given a guideline or something I just noodle around.

To sTx: I don't know if my technique is good or bad. I'm just taking the pessimistic route, haha.