So, as I understand, drop D tuning is when you use standard tuning, except that the low E string is tuned until it is also D. I have a tuner that will be able to tell me when my 6th string is tuned to D, but do I need to tighten it or lossen it to get to D?
Sorry for stupid question, but im lost. If I need to tighten it, what is to stop me from breaking it?
loosen.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
google.

there are probably a billion tuning guides on the web.

you could also just think that d is lower than e in the same octave....
███████████████████████████████████
Loosen to D. Its called "Drop" because you "Drop it down" to D. Same with things like Drop C. You are tuning down.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Loosen to D. Its called "Drop" because you "Drop it down" to D. Same with things like Drop C. You are tuning down.

this /thread
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
You loosen it a bit. Play the 3 lowest strings (or 4 if you have 7 strings) with heavy distortion on and slowly tune down until those low strings (D, A, E) sound like a powerchord when you play them open. To tune back up, play an E5 (2nd Fret A, Open Low E) and tune the E up until it sounds like a powerchord.