Hi everyone,
i was just looking for some advice on the emg zakk wylde set (81-85).
Firstly does anyone know what pots an epiphone zakk wylde guitar takes long or short
and secondly are they that much better than the hzs i already have?
They are a lot better than HZ's. But Zakk's original setup was with Bill Lawrence (now Wilde) pups which will go straight in with no pot changing as they are passives. They also have a better range of tones available and are a lot less expensive than the EMG set. I have one guitar with EMG's and one with a Lawrence at the bridge and the only difference for metal is the pure power. Definition is better on the Lawrence and I'm sore tempted to put a set on my next build which will either be a LP or SG type.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

yes, any EMG is better than a HZ.

Why don't you check yourself whether the pots are long or short shafted?
I didnt really wanna take the pots out and fiddle with the guitar but i guess i should and btw does it make a difference if the pickups are two years old?
Quote by Wylde22
I didnt really wanna take the pots out and fiddle with the guitar but i guess i should and btw does it make a difference if the pickups are two years old?

No, it doesn't.
Quote by Lurcher
They are a lot better than HZ's. But Zakk's original setup was with Bill Lawrence (now Wilde) pups which will go straight in with no pot changing as they are passives. They also have a better range of tones available and are a lot less expensive than the EMG set. I have one guitar with EMG's and one with a Lawrence at the bridge and the only difference for metal is the pure power. Definition is better on the Lawrence and I'm sore tempted to put a set on my next build which will either be a LP or SG type.

Zakk has been using EMG pickups since before he became famous. He has a few guitars with other pickups in them. He has a white Jackson Randy Rhoads offset V with Seymour Duncans in it, 2 Polka Dot V's (one black w/ white dots the other white w/ black dots) with DiMarzio pickups, a Dean Dime Razorback with a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and a '59 model in the neck and a Gibson Double neck SG with Gibson pickups in it. I have not been able to find any pics of Zakk using a guitar with Bill Lawrence pickups in it.
If you buy the EMG-ZW set, it comes with full sets of both long and short shaft pots so you'll be all set.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Comes with a EMG Zakk Wylde guitar pick too. <3
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.