well my birthday is coming up... in June..
and im going to persuad my dad to get me a guitar
and all i want is ... another guitar... i have a 65 strat and an LTD MH-100QMNT...

so i want to get either:
Epi Les Paul to play Zeppelin stuff
ESP LTD M-400 to play metallica stuff
ESP LTD EC-400 to play metallica stuff or any other kind of metal

im not sure which to go with...
as much as i love the blues and Zeppelin i love metal

which should i choose?
+1 epi.
There are that many bloody mods out there for that thing.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
If the EC-400 is anything like the EC-1000 I would say get that and at a later date throw in a set of SD's or a EMG 81/60 set. Any solid body guitar can get you the sound you want it all depends on what your running it into so just pick what feels best to you.
Epiphone, Agile or Tokai. These are my recommendations. Also look for used 80's Japanese Les Paul copies Tokai is one of the countless brands that made superb Les paul copies in the 70-80's for a fraction of the price of a regular Gibson but I don't know the names of the other brands.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
well i wanna keep it at around 500 bucks...
and plus i figured and EC would be better for metal since it comes with emg's.
or at least i wouldn't want to play metal on an epi...
or if i get an epi i could get Gibson 67's or SD the JB and 59

or if i get an m400 i get a floyd which ive kinda wanted for awhile...

i could get the EC-400VF that already has the SD's in them....
im confused haahaaha
I vote for EC-400VF

You get les paul looks plus some nice passives that will do ANY genre you want.
Plus, you wouldn't have to change pups like you would with the Epi

Don't think that you have to have EMGs to do metal, you just gotta play around with your amp. I also don't understand why you need a certain guitar to do certain bands? Try and get out of the mindset that you need certain guitars/amps, to mimic certain bands. Just make your own sound and play their songs with your own twist.
Quote by ryoga415
I vote for EC-400VF

You get les paul looks plus some nice passives that will do ANY genre you want.
Plus, you wouldn't have to change pups like you would with the Epi

Don't think that you have to have EMGs to do metal, you just gotta play around with your amp. I also don't understand why you need a certain guitar to do certain bands? Try and get out of the mindset that you need certain guitars/amps, to mimic certain bands. Just make your own sound and play their songs with your own twist.

its not that i dont need certain guitars to do certain bands... its just i can't picture myself playing purple haze with a active pickups...
hmm i guess i'll go with the 400vf...
cuz i can do blues on my mh-100qmnt...
i'll have to go to guitar center and try some lp's out and then try some esp's
Do you think that for some reason the EC would not be suitable for blues? In my opinion the pickups in combination with an LP body style would put out some sweet blues tones as well as anything else you could think of.
Quote by ryoga415
Do you think that for some reason the EC would not be suitable for blues? In my opinion the pickups in combination with an LP body style would put out some sweet blues tones as well as anything else you could think of.

i meant the EC 400 with emg's...
you know, id have to just try the 2 instead of making a thread about it...
kinda a stupid idea...
because for around the same money of an epi i could get the 400vf which has seymour's in it... and is probably and all around nicer guitar.
From what I've heard EMGs are quite capable in any genre, but then again I've never played a guitar with emgs before so idk.

You are quite correct in that you should just try them out, see which is one feels 'right' and buy that sucker
You should get a new amp before getting a new guitar.

Also, we need pics of this 65 Strat. Like.....now?
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
65 strat:

and about the amp.. i have a Raven RG 100... its a pretty good amp.. it does zeppelin, hendrix, metallica, AC/DC...
it will do until i can get either a marshall stack or a peavey valve king...
This is just my opinion, but you really come across as either a complete tool or a 13 year old boy when you refer to genres of music by a band that plays it.

Seeing as you have a guitar with humbuckers, and a guitar with single coils, why don't you branch out and get a nice tube amp that will let you really customize your sounds?
Quote by ryoga415
This is just my opinion, but you really come across as either a complete tool or a 13 year old boy when you refer to genres of music by a band that plays it.

Seeing as you have a guitar with humbuckers, and a guitar with single coils, why don't you branch out and get a nice tube amp that will let you really customize your sounds?

A nice tube amp for $500 doesn't exist for what he wants. I've never played a Raven, but it gets good reviews. In my experience, you get more for your money with solid state at cheaper prices. $500 will get not get a versatile tube amp.
If you must go with a new guitar, my suggestion would be the epi. With some pedals and tone adjustments you could get pretty close to the sound you want. My personal opinion though, is that you should get a new amp since you already have 2 decent guitars.
Quote by manoranimal
Get the epi and try to find a metallica sound on your amp.

+1. You could always change the pickups if its not giving you the Metallica crunch you seek. If you have the right amp and pedals, I think you could get close to Metallica with the LP, and you will have the LEDZep covered.
Quote by JELIFISH19
A nice tube amp for $500 doesn't exist for what he wants. I've never played a Raven, but it gets good reviews. In my experience, you get more for your money with solid state at cheaper prices. $500 will get not get a versatile tube amp.

you've got me there.
Finding a nice tube amp for $500 exists mostly if you go used. I found my Randall for $400, footswitch included.

It plays quite nicely, it doesn't respond too well to its EQ controls, but the overdrive channel works well. The cleans aren't Fender quality, but they're not too bad (experience from using neck pickup with the tone knob on half). Anything higher than half of the tone knob, and you get a rather twangy sound. Roll it down, and you get a nice, smoother clean tone (but you need volume for it to work)

Of course, an EQ really helps to open up this amp's sound. All in all, though, it's a nice amp, especially for what I paid. I was about to buy a Valveking when I saw this used, and I snapped it up the next day.

Case in point: Don't hesitate to buy used, as you could find a great deal! (these amps go for nearly $600-700 new as of right now)
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by manoranimal
Get the epi and try to find a metallica sound on your amp.

I agree. The Les Paul is one of the most versatile guitars & can be sued for almost anything. And I believe Kirk Hamett used a Les Paul when he performed "Fade to Black" live.
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
i think that if i go with a guitar, i would get the EC because it already has better pickups...
or i could get the epi and pimp it out with locking tuners and the same seymour duncans that are in the EC.... but then thats more money...

and the thing about the amp, my amp is already big enough as it is... 100 watts... unless i find another amp that i really like... i dont see the point in having amps if i dont need it.

i think trying out different stuff at GC is my best bet
Quote by JELIFISH19

Then your opinion is invalid.
So does the Marshall MG. I wouldn't say that's a fantastic amp for the price.
True, it will get one that won't sound like shit.