In 3 weeks time vacation starts and I'll be working (students job). I'll be earning somewhere around 250 euros (330 dollars).

Now for this money I thought I'd get myself one or more effect pedals, the only thing is, I don't know what's the most useful in the long run. Since I already have a modeling amp, I can rule out the following: chorus, flanger, tremolo, phaser, delay and reverb (although there isnt much room for customisation, only a 1-10 scale on how much effect you want). Alternatively I could get some recording gear or save up for a second guitar.

Your thoughts?

tl;dr: read title

a wah pedal is very useful..
Last edited by hitl at Mar 22, 2009,
I'd either get a Vox Wah or a Boss Micro BR.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
recording gear/guitar. Modelling amps don't usually take pedals that well. (You could try a wah though. Try it out on a similar amp before you by it though)
Okay, I'll check out some wah pedals. The Micro BR was very interesting too, gonna be a tough choice. One question though, does it only do guitars or can it also do voices?

Also, @professorlamp: my guitar is great, very versatile. I was just thinking of getting a fixed bridge electric for alternate tunings, since it's such a hassle to do them with a whammy bridge. But of course the price of a decent guitar is pretty steep, and buying one just for the sake of alternate tunings seems a bit pointless.
Quote by Captain Panda
Okay, I'll check out some wah pedals. The Micro BR was very interesting too, gonna be a tough choice. One question though, does it only do guitars or can it also do voices?

Also, @professorlamp: my guitar is great, very versatile. I was just thinking of getting a fixed bridge electric for alternate tunings, since it's such a hassle to do them with a whammy bridge. But of course the price of a decent guitar is pretty steep, and buying one just for the sake of alternate tunings seems a bit pointless.

If you have the cash I'd recomend a 515Q Wah. I'm not sure how much they are but I tried one out at the store and it was awesome. I'm not an expert on wah pedals though...
Quote by Final !mpact
If you have the cash I'd recomend a 515Q Wah. I'm not sure how much they are but I tried one out at the store and it was awesome. I'm not an expert on wah pedals though...

Okay, I quickly googled it and there doesn't seem to be a 515q wah

On a side note, 'wah pedals' is a very odd expertise.
this probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but the only pedals that could be of any use to you if you have a modeller are wah, volume, compression, gate or graphic EQ. that in itself is a pro and a con of modelling amps. they have a lot of built in features, which eliminate the need for having a lot of pedals, but they also don't take pedals very well at all, especially distortion - any modeller i've tried with a distortion pedal has turned the tone to mush no matter what settings i've used on the amps or the pedals.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i would have to know more info on what the rest of your gear is and what sound your looking for
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
this probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but the only pedals that could be of any use to you if you have a modeller are wah, volume, compression, gate or graphic EQ. that in itself is a pro and a con of modelling amps. they have a lot of built in features, which eliminate the need for having a lot of pedals, but they also don't take pedals very well at all, especially distortion - any modeller i've tried with a distortion pedal has turned the tone to mush no matter what settings i've used on the amps or the pedals.

I've gotten over that con already
By the way, the amp has 7 different distorion types anyway, so I wont need a distorion pedal.

I would have to know more info on what the rest of your gear is and what sound your looking for

Gear is in my sig. The thing is, there's not 1 special sound I'm looking for. One day I'll be playing some GNR, the next day I'm playing Muse, the next day I decide to play some Hendrix, etc.
I'm just trying to look for a pedal that's commonly used in every style, and avoid buying a pedal 'just for that one song' and forget about it afterwards.
well sounds liek you need a good crybaby wah wah lol
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
let me guess...
you got a spider.
they got a million kinda distortion!
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Quote by Lirarn
let me guess...
you got a spider.
they got a million kinda distortion!

no, he has a cube.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
an eq pedal will be useful for you to shape your tone, and will remain useful when you get a new amp.
wahs are fun, but it may turn into a novelty item if you don't really need one.
i own a micro br, and it's a good product, but can you record to a computer program from your cube?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
an eq pedal will be useful for you to shape your tone, and will remain useful when you get a new amp.
wahs are fun, but it may turn into a novelty item if you don't really need one.
i own a micro br, and it's a good product, but can you record to a computer program from your cube?

Well, the 30x cube has a 'line out/headphone' plug, so I suspect that might be of use for recording. However my dad insists I will blow the computer if I run an amped signal through it, hence why I haven't considered recording directly.

Imma quickly google what an eq pedal does, thanks. Also I've wondered how much a foot switch for changing channels would cost. Any advice?
Quote by Captain Panda
Okay, I quickly googled it and there doesn't seem to be a 515q wah

On a side note, 'wah pedals' is a very odd expertise.

i think he meant a 535q wah
^i got the 535q and it's great
my first pedal was a boss ds-1, it's quite cheap but it gets the job done (i couldn't have a footswitch and back then i thought it would do the same)
I know how people always say pedals can't sound good on cubes and modeling amps, but they sound fine on my cube 15, maybe the 15 isn't a modeling one though (no effects or amp models really, one clean, one distortion, 3 eqs, that's it)
I'd have to agree with everyone though, the EQ or the wah would be the best way to go, at least for now, and get a chorus/overdrive/delay when you get a tube amp ? (if you ever do)
Okay, I'll remember that. Tube amp = pedal-needy.

I'll also remember to try out any pedals I buy on a modeling amp in the store before I actually get it.
Personally I think a delay will be helpful even if you do have a modeling amp. But an EQ would probably be more useful with your current setup.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I personally would get a Looper like the Boss RC-2.

Wah or anything like that is always fun.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Wah and if you can afford it distortion.Modelling amp distortion tends to be pretty poor.
And also if you go to a gig and have to use a different amp,you will then have pretty much everything you need,all set up and ready to go.
Whilst multi effects are fun I think they are a bit of a rip off.The tone from them is generally pretty poor.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.