Hi guys,

I've tried asking this before in the tubes thread but just got ignored, so i'll try starting a new thread instead...

I have a 5150 Combo which I bought about a year ago. It is a Mark I and is probably about 10 years old. Apparently the tubes in it are about 4 years old. So its time to get retubed. It takes 2 6l6's and 5 12ax7's.

Can anyone give me some advice as to which tubes to get? Sovtek? JJ? EH? etc..

Am i supposed to get all one brand? or mix them depending on the position and the qualities of the different tubes?

I guess choosing the power tubes will be relatively straightforward, but the preamp tubes are what i'm worried about.

The amp makes an annoying amount of background hiss which increases as i turn it up and generally it just doesn't sound that great. I would like a combination of tubes that will give me rich distortion with minimal noise (hiss, interference, whatever).

I recently got a boss ns-2 for $179 Aus, as i thought this would reduce the hiss and give me a better tone but it does pretty much nothing

And that was my girlfriend's christmas present to me

I thought spending up on a real tube amp like this and a top notch guitar with EMG's would give me a killer tone but at the moment it just sucks.

Additionally, I don't really turn the amp up above 1 on the volume because its too loud for my room (and parents ). General practising volume is probably about 0.75.

Sorry to have to write an essay about it but I really need some advice! Thanks.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Obviously you wont get the best out of your amp with it at minimal volume, but back to the tubes, you should go for all the same brand, im not sure on which though cause im new to the whole tube/valve thing too
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Output tubes, I go with JJs...most reliable tubes currently being made.

For the 12AX7s, I'd go with JJs across the board too...I would recommend Tung Sols too, but I recently had a couple of Tung Sols bad out of the box, so I'd wait awhile and let the bad ones work their way out of the system.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by Jak Archer
Go to the tube thread at the top of the page

he already has, they ignored him apparently.

i dont know much about tubes, but i think u shud get all the same make.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Mix and match away if you know the sound you want.

I usually run JJ power tubes and then a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1, JJ tubes in V2-4 and a JAN Phillips 5751 in V5 (phase inverter).

If you want less preamp gain, try the same but with a JJ 12DW7 in V2
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Oosh.
back to the tubes, you should go for all the same brand, im not sure on which though cause im new to the whole tube/valve thing too

Why? If someone likes tung sol in the preamp and JJ's in the power section there is no problem with this.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
only place where you should have the same brand is int the power tubes...otherwise, mix and match indeed.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial