Page 1 of 3
Are Sports Players overpaid???? Highly debated question, What are some reasons for both Yes and No????
*Insert Witty Remark -Here-*
Yes.

Footballers get paid millions for doing next to nothing.

Since when was it highly debated? We all know they are overpaid.
They are all overpaid.

There is no debate there.

But so are actors, news presenters, pop-musicians, radio dudes, models and basically anyone else who's face/name can be thrown on TV/Radio.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
i swear this has been done before
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by CaptainRon
No.

They make what they earn.

And they deserve more than someone that cleans toilets for a living? Why?
they aren't overpaid, the industry is valued very highly and they are paid fair amounts compared to what the industry makes.
Well of course,

but the game does leave a lot of wear and tear on their bodies
and they are very pressured and stressed out to do well I'm sure.

As long as they keep filling up those stadiums with thousands of people every week I guess they deserve it though. They worked pretty hard to get there, but it doesn't really add up to the millions they get paid.

I don't feel like most pop stars do much either, they don't write their own songs and lip sync. It's just the way of the world I suppose.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Last edited by think11270 at Mar 22, 2009,
Oh yes. And it only gives them more cause to be whiney and consider themselves above the law.
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Quote by templar08
Oh yes. And it only gives them more cause to be whiney and consider themselves above the law.

Which they usually are. Look at all the times a famous person has gotten off lightly while you or me would have had far worse punishment.

Quote by CaptainRon
Skill and knowledge. They also work in a market that has a lot more money in it.

I don't think the last part is fair. Toilet cleaners do alot more hard work and they actually EARN money. To me, sports stars just run around for a bit and get paid millions...

I know i'm being kinda harsh on them
Last edited by maggot9779 at Mar 22, 2009,
Keep in mind that they're only going to be sportsmen for a short amount of time; some may even get a crippling injury that prevents them from working ever again so they will most likely need to live off that money for the rest of their lives.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by frankibo
they aren't overpaid, the industry is valued very highly and they are paid fair amounts compared to what the industry makes.

+1
People dont seem to understand this concept.

Do people think they deserve that much money? completely different argument.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Quote by CaptainRon
That's just the way things work.

It shouldn't be though.

But yes I agree that is the way things work.
Quote by maggot9779
Which they usually are. Look at all the times a famous person has gotten off lightly while you or me would have had far worse punishment.

I don't think the last part is fair. Toilet cleaners do alot more hard work and they actually EARN money. To me, sports stars just run around for a bit and get paid millions...

I know i'm being kinda harsh on them

Athletes are told when to sleep, what to eat, when to work out, what they can do and what the shouldn't do. They also have to fly back and forth between cities. Very mentally and physically tiring (except NFLers, I can't imagine anyone getting tired from playing sixteen games a year, one every week).
Quote by CaptainRon
Athletes are told when to sleep, what to eat, when to work out, what they can do and what the shouldn't do. They also have to fly back and forth between cities. Very mentally and physically tiring (except NFLers, I can't imagine anyone getting tired from playing sixteen games a year, one every week).

Toilet cleaners do something that's actually useful.

Your move.
You're*
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
we wouldnt have this problem if we all turned communist.....just saying...

Well other then work ethic. That happens to drop.

Quote by Survivalism

Your move.

Athletes are entertainers. They raise their fans spirits when they win.

And we wouldn't need toilet cleaners if people weren't messy pissers and shitters.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Mar 22, 2009,
Yeah massively overpaid

A large slice of that money should go to smaller sports club in that area. A lot of them (like my rugby club) have closed down due to lack of funds and support.

Imho

EDIT: But in all fairness, the players do generate that amount of money...
What I just said is a lie.
Quote by Survivalism

Your move.

Toilet cleaners dont need to train everyday, Make sure they look after they're bodies perfectly, be away from family for long periods of time, be role models.....
I know that generally what they have to do is very skilled, but I don't think it's as crucial to society as other skilled things; engineers, doctors etc. Although people need an escape and they wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they didn't have their team to follow and absorb themself in. Still: definitely overpaid. Kimi Raikkonen a formula one driver is on approx. 20m pounds.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
I know that generally what they have to do is very skilled, but I don't think it's as crucial to society as other skilled things; engineers, doctors etc. Although people need an escape and they wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they didn't have their team to follow and absorb themself in. Still: definitely overpaid. Kimi Raikkonen a formula one driver is on approx. 20m pounds.

The problem I have with your post is that you considered an F1 driver a "sports player".
There is obviously large amounts of money to be made in pro sports. Would you rather the money go to the player you cheer for? Or the billionaire owner of the team?

Bottom line? Supply and Demand dictates their salaries, and they only get what they earn.
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by CaptainRon
The problem I have with your post is that you considered an F1 driver a "sports player".
Keep in mind man, he's a Brit.

They don't actually know the meaning of sports.
Quote by CaptainRon

Car drivers are definitely athletes; they generally lose kilos of weight every race through sweat and exertion.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by CaptainRon

They're mad good athletes, they're in the gym four hours a day and the cars are hard as anything to drive. How aren't they? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo
Quote by Cal UK

This. If a sportsman can be paid more than a doctor then there's something clearly wrong with the way their respective jobs are valued. The best ones should be well paid but millions of pounds a week for some premier league footballers is frankly ridiculous.

Yeah I understand that they're paid according to the value of the industry they work in and that that's just the way it is. That doesn't mean thats the way it should be.
Don't like what professional athletes earn? Then don't support sports. Abstain from watching any sort of professional sporting event and boycott buying sports merchandise.

The average career length of a baseball player is about 5 years. An American football player: 3 years. A few years spent after playing their respective sports in college 4 (or 3) years in hopes of being able to earn a chance at making a living doing what they most likely enjoy doing.

It's a terrible thing when we get the chance to make a living doing something we like, especially in a massively popular market.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by Cal UK
They're mad good athletes, they're in the gym four hours a day and the cars are hard as anything to drive. How aren't they? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

I suppose by definition they are.

I'm just going to throw them into the same group as Poker, Darts, Bowling, and Curling.
Quote by CaptainRon
I suppose by definition they are.

I'm just going to throw them into the same group as Poker, Darts, Bowling, and Curling.

They're in the gym four hours a day. To slow down a car you have to exert 95kg of pressure with youre left ankle, that's more than I weigh, I'm not putting it into yank units for you. 5-6 G through the corners for 1 and a half hours. Then there's the mental strength. But then I suppose the sight of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo keeps you on your toes doesn't it
Last edited by Cal UK at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by all hail the d
This. If a sportsman can be paid more than a doctor then there's something clearly wrong with the way their respective jobs are valued. The best ones should be well paid but millions of pounds a week for some premier league footballers is frankly ridiculous.

Yeah I understand that they're paid according to the value of the industry they work in and that that's just the way it is. That doesn't mean thats the way it should be.

The more doctors get paid then the more we have to pay for Medical Help,
Quote by Corey_Bowering
The more doctors get paid then the more we have to pay for Medical Help,

We'll take the salaries of sports players so we don't have to.
Page 1 of 3