I just realized that when it comes to solos and complicated riffs, I can't read it from music nor tabs.
I can read it, but I can't follow it at all.

So I set off and learned the entire solo of Sunshine of Your Love, which isn't that hard, by ear and it worked for me completely.

How do you usually learn solos?
By ear? tabs? how?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
I usually look at tabs and hear the solo at the same time then I slow down the solo ( speed settings in WMP or speed trainer in GP5) and try to play it :P
Beer is fine.
The solo fo nothing else matters was the 1st solo i learned and it really helped me with solos...u shud try it!
Quote by Daire
The solo fo nothing else matters was the 1st solo i learned and it really helped me with solos...u shud try it!

Nah, I'll pass, I'm focusing on playing the blues than rock and metal
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I usally use tabs as a guideline and listen to the song to get an idea of the rythm, I change the parts of the tab i don't like and break it into parts... I think everyone knows the drill:P
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Quote by FretKiller
I usally use tabs as a guideline and listen to the song to get an idea of the rythm, I change the parts of the tab i don't like and break it into parts... I think everyone knows the drill:P

The problem me is that I can't read the rhythm parts that come with the tabs so I strutter.
I get frustrated quickly when I can't do it so I go to my iPod and listen to the part over and over again.

Learning Hideaway by the Bluesbreakers right now and it's very interesting, considering how you can play it on three different positions on the guitar.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
If you ever start playing shred-solos (like Dave Mustaine), learn the scale first. Dave's solos look very complicated in a tab although he only mostly only uses one scale-shape and shreds randomly across it.

For you, I'd recommend Powertab Editor (I recommend downloading it from download.com, and the powertabs from UG). Really gets your reading going. That way you can see each note and which note that is played, and you can slow it down as much as you'd like.
Last edited by VikingMetalhead at Mar 22, 2009,
I allways just load up the difficult passages into GP5 and use the phrase trainer device thingy wich slows down any difficult bits... but to be honest, and not being bigheaded, I dont really stuggle with many of them.
Quote by VikingMetalhead
If you ever start playing shred-solos (like Dave Mustaine), learn the scale first. Dave's solos look very complicated in a tab although he only mostly only uses one scale-shape and shreds randomly across it.

For you, I'd recommend Powertab Editor (I recommend downloading it from download.com, and the powertabs from UG). Really gets your reading going. That way you can see each note and which note that is played, and you can slow it down as much as you'd like.

thanks, It never seemed to work, that power tab thing

Obviously I still don't entirely understand how solos work, how people connect each arpeggio, scale, and what not but I think I'll get it when I learn a lot of licks
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']Guitar Pro
That doesn't work too

but I'm ain't going not to use those apps, no more...

I'll do it how people did it before the internet was invented
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
That doesn't work too

but I'm ain't going not to use those apps, no more...

I'll do it how people did it before the internet was invented

notation paper and perfect pitch?
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by CliffIsAngry
notation paper and perfect pitch?

Nah...

But I think I have perfect rhythm and tempo, considering that I play taiko, which is traditional japanese drums with horse skin.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I'm learning solos too. It helps when I look at the tab and slow down the song.

When I first attempt it I don't pick hardly at all. The notes smoother for me to hear the solo come out of my own playing. Once I get it that way, then I start picking the notes slowly then faster and faster until I get up to speed.

If that makes sense.

Software and tabs help but they won't play the guitar for you. There is an element of skill involved, just practice.
Schecter Damien B2 FR
GuitarRig 2 and Sonar
Alesis Mk Monitors
Guitar Pro.

What guitar pro has a speed trainer? where? I just change the speed of the song manually and practice.
I use a combination of tab, notation and ear - but if you can do it by ear thats awesome, you learn loads that way. And I reckon you'll find tabs/notation easier in time. If you only started learning to read music when you started guitar it must be like reading in a foreign language you just started learning
Quote by zhilla
I use a combination of tab, notation and ear - but if you can do it by ear thats awesome, you learn loads that way. And I reckon you'll find tabs/notation easier in time. If you only started learning to read music when you started guitar it must be like reading in a foreign language you just started learning

I have a trauma of reading music since 3rd grade, when I was about to quit violin lessons because I wasn't getting any better, my teacher got frustrated and shouted "you can't read music, you will NEVER become a musician, and you have no talent what so ever! Why can't you do it, why are you so defected and flawed?"

The last two adjectives really hit me hard and I took two years untill I got over that because it killed my will to play melodical music, so I turned to percussion.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
I have a trauma of reading music since 3rd grade, when I was about to quit violin lessons because I wasn't getting any better, my teacher got frustrated and shouted "you can't read music, you will NEVER become a musician, and you have no talent what so ever! Why can't you do it, why are you so defected and flawed?"

The last two adjectives really hit me hard and I took two years untill I got over that because it killed my will to play melodical music, so I turned to percussion.
Violin teachers are evul! Ours made my friend wet himself in the lesson by shouting at him for not doing enough practice, cos he'd missed a couple of days
Quote by zhilla
Violin teachers are evul! Ours made my friend wet himself in the lesson by shouting at him for not doing enough practice, cos he'd missed a couple of days

That happened to me in violin
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
All by ear. I won't lie sometimes it can be hard but if you want to be a musician it is the only way to go.
I mostly just do it by ear unless I'm trying something really difficult or fast. Then I'll look at the tab and figure out which scale/mode the guitarist is using.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by 3rd Eye
All by ear. I won't lie sometimes it can be hard but if you want to be a musician it is the only way to go.

not the only way..
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I find using guitar pro to devide them into parts an easy way to learn solos
Quote by Gego
I find using guitar pro to devide them into parts an easy way to learn solos

argh why can't I download guitar pro on my mac!
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron