Hey all, I've got an old Fernandes PJS-50 made in Japan in about... 86 I think. The pickup config is P/J. Latley it's lost most of it's.. volume and overall "Boom". And there's some weird sound stuff happening. Firstly if you knock on any part of the body you'll hear it clear as day though the amp, when the pots are turned up full a little tap is audible from the amp when the pots been turned as far as it will go. Also if you tap on one of the pickups you'll also hear a sound.
I'm thinking it might be the pickup's and/or the pots. I think i have some spare pots lying around and ONE jazz pickup, if i just wire the single jazz pickup in what kind of sound loss or different should I expect and is it worth it?
Thanks in advance.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I know we don't usually hear about this with bass pups, but if the pups are super microphonic, you could try potting them. Even ones that came fine from the factory can eventually need to be "re-potted."

It's not likely going to have anything to do with your pots, but if you have the electronics out anyway, you might as well clean them too--might add a little more clarity to your signal if some of the loss comes from scratchiness. 22 year old pots are overdue for a cleaning anyway right?
this is probably not the problem but open up the back and check if it has a battery. If so change it out. My schecter did the same thing one time and that's all it was.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
this is probably not the problem but open up the back and check if it has a battery. If so change it out. My schecter did the same thing one time and that's all it was.

Nah dude it's not active. I think after 22 years someone might have noticed
I'm going to try potting them and see what happens, cheers
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
ya. i figured unless you just picked it up used it wouldn't be the problem. good luck with the pots.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu