Right now, i'm stuck at a certain part of The Crusade: Harmonizing the major scale.
I know how to harmonize the C major scale to get a C major chord. However, any chords past that are confusing to me (I should start at D and then do the same thing i do at the start of the C major scale to harmonize it, but since i started at D it would be a D major chord? But what does that have to do with the C major scale?), and especially the B chord, the seventh note in the C major scale, which is supposed to form a diminished chord but every time i harmonize it i get a B major chord. Why?

Also, what is the advantage of using the major scale to build chords over just picking a note, adding a minor 3rd, then a major 3rd to form a minor <note> chord?
Last edited by robinlint at Mar 22, 2009,
If you are in C major, the way to harmonize would be only to use the notes of the C major scale. So if your starting on the seventh, B, and you want to play the third above it you go to the ninth, D, and the eleventh, F. You don't tonicize the seventh and then add its third, D#, and fifth, F#, which would give you a Bmajor chord, which doesn't fit all too well with C major.
Quote by isaac_bandits
If you are in C major, the way to harmonize would be only to use the notes of the C major scale. So if your starting on the seventh, B, and you want to play the third above it you go to the ninth, D, and the eleventh, F. You don't tonicize the seventh and then add its third, D#, and fifth, F#, which would give you a Bmajor chord, which doesn't fit all too well with C major.

Okay. But then, i play the C major scale on the E string, end up at the seventh (B) at fret 19. How do i play further in the scale from there? The end of the scale is a half step (one fret). Should i just repeat the whole major scale? And from which point, the note C or the whole step (major 2nd) after C?

EDIT: I somewhat figured it out, previously to get above the octave i would pick a C on the A string, but now i just started with the C on the E string and repeated the major scale pattern, and got the diminished chord. Thanks!
I think you're going to fast with the articles, hold off worrying about harmonising for a while until you've got a better grasp of the basics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
EDIT: Moved to a seperate topic