so i started recording a while back, bought a toneport and some monitors, but now im looking to upgrade to a better pc and a better interface maybe something like this i plan to start recording drums and improve my overall sound....few q's im i gonna be able to use my gearbox software with? and how many inputs can i record at the same time?> maybe suggestions to a better interface?anything ill appreciate, thanks!!
If you want to record drums, I'd say 4 inputs isn't gonna be enough to get a good (by modern standards) drum sound unless you really know what you're doing, so I'd say go for something with 8 inputs. Does your computer/the one you're getting have firewire?

If so, and I suggest you get one with firewire if you're in the market (faster, more stable than USB etc.) I'd opt for the MOTU 8Pre which is a great 8-input firewire interface at a very reasonable price! Other brands to consider would be Presonus and again M-Audio (though an 8-input M-Audio interface will probably be more overpriced).

Oh, and with the interface you linked us to you can record 4 XLR inputs simultaneously so would only be able to use 4 mics max. at any one time... and most people mic up a standard 5-piece kit with 7 mics or so.

As for the Gearbox software, I would imagine that depends more on your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation/recording program) unless you use Gearbox as a recording program (I'm not too familiar with it, other than knowing roughly what it is!) but there are plenty of free/cheap programs that will do the job until you move into the higher end of the market (i.e Cubase, Pro Tools, or even Logic if you bought a Mac).

Hope that helps anyway, feel free to ask anything I wasn't clear on

Edit: As I realised you probably want a price for what I suggested, here is the Guitar Center page for it, though I imagine you could get it cheaper if you shop around (I'm not from the US so not entirely sure how good a price that is... I could get one over here in the UK for around £300-350 if I compared a few prices though, and with the current exchange rate I reckon you could get one below $500).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 22, 2009,
well i have recorded drums before with 4 inputs and i think it was good enough im not trying to get studio sounding drums so its kool. another thing i know pple have racks of stuff to improve sound. what are some essentials for my sound to sound come what ok....maybe an eq? or compressor?
Quote by zenabi87
well i have recorded drums before with 4 inputs and i think it was good enough im not trying to get studio sounding drums so its kool. another thing i know pple have racks of stuff to improve sound. what are some essentials for my sound to sound come what ok....maybe an eq? or compressor?

To be honest, rackmount stuff is more if you have a fixed setup, or travel around working on higher-end systems at various studios for a job... rackmount gear is expensive and is not quick to setup (think cable patchbays and the like... cables going all over the place depending on the number of channels you record simultaneously!).

Most DAW's come with decent enough in-built EQ/compressor plug-ins, so unless you're after a really top-notch sound (in which case I'd suggest a higher end interface first because you'd want high quality mic pre-amps at the start of the signal chain) you are probably better off holding on to your cash for a bit.

As a starting point, I'd say rackmount compressors are a good way to begin, as well as a multi-output monitoring/headphone amp and perhaps some boutique mic pre-amps. Most EQ work is done at the mixing stage after the recording is done, using plug-ins... although rackmount EQ's are useful to remove unwanted noise or to perhaps put a high-pass filter to remove ground noise in vocals/guitars etc. I think their main benefit is in live music where there is no post-production to be done to tidy things up.
thanks dude i was alittle confuse but you made it all clear. so u think that m audio in the link is a good enough interface?
Quote by zenabi87
thanks dude i was alittle confuse but you made it all clear. so u think that m audio in the link is a good enough interface?

Yeah, M-Audio make good gear and if you're happy enough using 4 mics on drums and to be honest, that's not too bad. Not too long ago, I was persuaded to hurriedly record my mates' band with very little of my gear present (just my Mac, an Apogee Duet and a Rode M3 condenser mic) and I had to record the drums with just two mics - an overhead condenser and a dynamic cardioid on the kick drum... and the worst thing is, they were using it as a demo of new stuff and had it played on the radio and even named me as the producer! You can imagine the feeling of shame when you know you could have done a much better job given more time or my own equipment being present; although I didn't receive any complaints haha and my mates' band were happy with it and even want me to record their EP (obviously with a better setup).

To cut my life story short, at the end of the day, the M-Audio should do the job for you anyway