Page 1 of 2
... or if you're a beginner like me what direction do you see going too?
Who influences your playing the most? What genre?

I was going to play mainly hard rock and heavy metal when I bought my guitar but I see myself going to the blues direction, probably fueled after seeing Eric Clapton play.
It's the perfect way of being unique here in Japan because I tell you, NO ONE plays the blues in this country.
One reason is that there are some blues bands in the 70's in Japanese but they sound like ****.
The language just doesn't work with the blues, but I'm fluent in English so that helps me.
Another reason, most japanese guitarists play either Western Rock or Japanese Pop.
When you hear a college band covering Led Zeppelin, 90% of the time it's totally instrumental or they sing it in a Japanese accent ("Whowl Rotta Ravv~!" or "Steea wey tsuu heaven..." it's terrible).
So there you go, I think I owe it to my parents for giving me a chance to get some English education.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Hmm well I have a few videos up on youtube why don't you tell me?

I just saw them and I think you're really talented.
I wish I could sing as good as that.
Probably folk/pop style? I dunno...
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I play mostly Metal, Hard Rock, but I range to Reggae and Pop (Due to my Music course in college but it's a good way to develop range.
I'd say I am mostly blues driven at the moment, but I do tend to shred now and again

Me = Frusciante+John5+Slash
kinda thing (I'am obviously not as good tho)
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by grimms
I play mostly Metal, Hard Rock, but I range to Reggae and Pop (Due to my Music course in college but it's a good way to develop range.

People diss pop, but I think Reggae and pop will make you a musicologist and it probably will have a profound effect on your metal.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Metal, love doin de tuned **** like Pantera, nice straightforward and fun. Like some blues when im in a down mood or just wanna take the edge off and even bob marley when im peaceful.
Mostly I do melodic slow passages like Frusciante, but as I play more and more Bodom, I tend to add in sweep-tapping and shredding here and there.

It's so fun to play over RHCP songs with that kind of style.
my style is mostly really punk with a little grunge thrown in, and even some blues for good measure. but when i need to chill, Folk (Neil Young, Dylan, etc) is the way for me.
but recently ive gotten into Ska and Reggae. great stuff.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Try covering some Neil Young songs, I mean, he's obviously not a girl but he's got more than enough estrogen to sound like one.
Rage against the machine mixed with the black keys mixed with audioslave mixed with foo fighters if that makes any sense at all
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I hate that...actually I just hate anyone under the age of 16

Quote by RockGuitar92
Just get it cut a little. It will grow back. Besides why is it so important to look metal? That's just retarded.

Gear in profile
erm... I dunno...

i kinda got radomu's prob... but I STILL play metal and hardrock... but all my licks and stuff have a REALLY bluesy feeling... EVEN when I'm not using minor pentatonic scales :S
Probably coz of my mom's nd dad's tastes of music. They pretty much raised me on Clapton and stuff

And it's not a bad thing, it actually gives me a nice signature sound, and I'm pretty popular around school for it

Oh and i'm an all-rounder. I play everything from Arch Enemy to ZZ-Top (A to Z, )
but a lot more metal, hard-rock and blues improvising
Last edited by nemesis_911 at Mar 22, 2009,
Are you guys more of a rhythm player or a lead player?

Considering I practice scales and getting pretty good at it while my chord playing is a shambles, I'm totally a lead player.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
hmm... i've been growing and changing. I can play some smooth, clean lines. i've been known to get a nice punk attitude/style with a lot of fast octave/power chord progressions. I've also been known to throw in a very heavy metal style as I can throw some heavy riffs and a lot of quick palm mutes (think bfmv-speed riffs). I have also been known to improv some nice sweeps kinda like Synyster Gates, and then get very tappy (think the tapping part from Mettalica's "One"). so I range a lot, I can get very melodic, to heavy, to punk, to calm.
Quote by nemesis_911
erm... I dunno...

i kinda got radomu's prob... but I STILL play metal and hardrock... but all my licks and stuff have a REALLY bluesy feeling... EVEN when I'm not using minor pentatonic scales :S
Probably coz of my mom's nd dad's tastes of music. They pretty much raised me on Clapton and stuff

And it's not a bad thing, it actually gives me a nice signature sound, and I'm pretty popular around school for it

Oh and i'm an all-rounder. I play everything from Arch Enemy to ZZ-Top (A to Z, )
but a lot more metal, hard-rock and blues improvising

Yeah totally, not a bad thing at all, I don't see it as a problem.
I really can't do tappin and other metal styles on my guitar any more because I raise the action so high so I can play slide when I'm bored.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Hmm well I have a few videos up on youtube why don't you tell me?

*Borat voice*
Very nice, I like. How much?

...as for me, uhh no clue. I pluck the string, it makes a noise. Once in a while things come together and it actually sounds like a song. Thats about it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
*Borat voice*
Very nice, I like. How much?

...as for me, uhh no clue. I pluck the string, it makes a noise. Once in a while things come together and it actually sounds like a song. Thats about it.

No, seriously, that's not funny, don't go that direction
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Hmm. I guess it's a lot of blues style bends, wide vibrato, punchy rhythmic alt picking, sparse legato and very rare sweep picking (because I suck) with a lot of wide intervals, some string skipping and Dorian.

It's like trying to describe a colour to a blind person.
i'm definatley a metal player , rhythm mostly influences? James Hetfield and Dave mustaine
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
80% of what I play is middle-of-the-road rock music. AC/DC, mid-90's Bon Jovi, GnR, Cream, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, etc.

The rest I play is a weird mixture. Blues, folk, pop and gothic metal. Bizarre mixture I know. None of it is what I excel at, It's just nice to throw something different in there once in a while.

I'm mostly a rhythm player. I can play simple lead but I'm not comfortable with it, neither in my own playing ability nor in being the focus like that. I prefer to stand at the back and jam out a nice melody. I usually only play lead parts when I'm practising on my own, the second anyone else is around I let them take lead and I sit back with my trusty chords, riffs and short fills.

Me = Malcolm Young, Izzy Stradlin'/Gilby Clarke. Well, I wish anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I try to play most everything that has six strings in it, so I'm really not sure, but when I improvise it's somewhere between the various sounds of the 1970's, to put it in a short answer. To be a bit more long-winded, a friend described it as "Tony Iommi playing Jimi Hendrix's rig" a while ago, though my style's changed since then so take that as you will. Whatever it is it's blues-influenced though, I can say that much.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I love hard rock and everything but I just can't convince myself to learn a hard rock song...
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Metal mainly, progressive punk, mathcore, deathcore.

PTH, BTBAM, Kalmah and Marty Friedman are my influences.
ಠ_ಠ
I just wanted to play metal/rock mostly, then I discovered Buckethead and Paul Gilbert. I like their shred style so one day I'll learn that. However I'm focusing on my rhythm guitar for now.
I've been playing slap guitar and touchstyle a lot lately...progressive music is teh best11!
Quote by radomu
I love hard rock and everything but I just can't convince myself to learn a hard rock song...

Well, do what I did I suppose. Look for which Zeppelin(Not sure if you consider them hard rock, it's debated whether they're blues-rock, hard-rock or early metal) song you like best, just sit down and listen to the album it's on. It worked for me. :P

Most of the random riffs I come up are very Adam Jones and Jon Schafter influenced, atlhough my leads are meant for slower songs. Can't seem to come up with any that could place in a fast paced song.

Lately, I'm feeling I should be a singer instead who sometimes fill in for the rhythm parts.
I´m influenced by punk guitarists such as: the Toxoplasma guitarists, Bruce Treasure or Elf
60s musicians like: Robbie Krieger or Jimi Hendrix
and Jazz guitarists like Wes Montgomery

from what I´ve seen at other guitarists it´s "special" that I don´t have any hate for powerchords, even after more than a decade
I started out about 1 year 1/4 ago by playing stuff like Blink 182, The Offspring, Sum 41.

About 5 or so months ago, I started playing Metal stuff like All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold. Been doing that since.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
god knows at this point, i've stolen something from pretty much every guitarist ive heard play.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, do what I did I suppose. Look for which Zeppelin(Not sure if you consider them hard rock, it's debated whether they're blues-rock, hard-rock or early metal) song you like best, just sit down and listen to the album it's on. It worked for me. :P

I love led zeppelin, my number one favorite band, but the only thing I can play by them is the intro of Communication Breakdown.
I think they're everything: blues, blues-rock, hard rock, heavy metal (don't argue with me on this, seriously), world music, folk rock... just too much genres they covered.
I guess I'm not interested in playing riff-based music, despite the fact that I love listening to them.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
I love led zeppelin, my number one favorite band, but the only thing I can play by them is the intro of Communication Breakdown.
I think they're everything: blues, blues-rock, hard rock, heavy metal (don't argue with me on this, seriously), world music, folk rock... just too much genres they covered.
I guess I'm not interested in playing riff-based music, despite the fact that I love listening to them.

Hmm...I'm not actually sure what to say here. Apologies about the analogy making you sound schizophrenic, but it sounds like the music-listening you want to play the mainstream type of rock, while your guitar-playing self wants to do prog. I guess sit down and see which you like the most would be my recommendation. You never know where you'll go with guitar.

its a good idea to branch out to different genres...
i can play: blues, classic rock, hard rock, punk, metal...
plus i was in a nu-metal band before.. but it only lasted 3 weeks hahah
Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...I'm not actually sure what to say here. Apologies about the analogy making you sound schizophrenic, but it sounds like the music-listening you want to play the mainstream type of rock, while your guitar-playing self wants to do prog. I guess sit down and see which you like the most would be my recommendation. You never know where you'll go with guitar.

Prog

No, no, no I don't know a lot about progressive rock, nor do I want to play it.
I'm more into playing the blues, and I'm more inspired by people like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, and BB King, even if Jimmy Page made me pick up the guitar.
He hasn't contributed a lot to my playing.
I've tried crazy train, paranoid, Iron Man, Whole Lotta Love, and Enter Sandman but I didn't enjoy playing any of them, so I learned the riffs but gave up wanting to learn the entire song because they weren't open for me to innovate.

I'm currently working on Hideaway by Freddie King, Thrill is Gone by BB King, and Tell the Truth by Derek and the Dominos.
I could just play the lick for hours without getting sleepy.
I can only play one song entirely: Sunshine of Your Love by Cream.

See my pattern
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Metal, Heavy Metal and MetalCore is what influences me. I play those genres. I'm in a heavy metal band right now, I just play metal core by myself. I play bands like Trivium, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, and Iron Maiden.

Dimebag, Kirk Hammet, Cory Beaulieu, Dave Mustaine are my influences.

I'm more of a lead player. Lead just came more naturally to me than rhythm. I'm still working on my timing. I tend to speed things up especially in solos.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Mar 22, 2009,
Audioslave/RHCP kinda music...bit of Prog here + there

I'm mainly influenced by Tom Morrelo...although im still quite n00b-ish (playing for a year+1/2.)
Usually the stuff i write is either open chord riffs or lower Pentatonic runs.
I can be versitile, i play allsorts from blink-182 to Black Sabbath
Thanks to my school music course im currently doing Reggae and Blues.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by radomu
Prog

No, no, no I don't know a lot about progressive rock, nor do I want to play it.
I'm more into playing the blues, and I'm more inspired by people like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, and BB King, even if Jimmy Page made me pick up the guitar.
He hasn't contributed a lot to my playing.
I've tried crazy train, paranoid, Iron Man, Whole Lotta Love, and Enter Sandman but I didn't enjoy playing any of them, so I learned the riffs but gave up wanting to learn the entire song because they weren't open for me to innovate.

I'm currently working on Hideaway by Freddie King, Thrill is Gone by BB King, and Tell the Truth by Derek and the Dominos.
I could just play the lick for hours without getting sleepy.
I can only play one song entirely: Sunshine of Your Love by Cream.

See my pattern

Hmm...well the play the blues, I say. If Stevie Ray Vaughan could revive it in the midst of hair metal, then you should feel free to play it if you want to, even if it wasn't why you started.

When I started, I thought I was going to go in the Nu Metal/ Hard Rock area. Now I'm heading into Classical guitar, Spanish Rock and Thrash Metal.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I try to focus on playing mostly metal and groove, biggest influences for me most recently have to be Kirk (once again), and Willy Adler.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
my playing style is... searchbar and br00t4lz!!!

^ I'm amazed no one else has said either of those yet. I'm disappointed, UG

On a serious note, I play all sorts of stuff, but my main focus and style is Progressive Shred steeped in Thrash, 90's hard rock/metal, RATM type stuff, and Industrial.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 22, 2009,
Well, I will start. My music is "melodic hardcore punk," which is basically fast but melodic punk, so my music involves more than just playing power chords. Remember that, the punk I play isn't extremely simple.

Melody style: The lead melodies I right are usually based off of one part of a scale, usually starts with the same note as the first chord, and are usually repeated once or twice. Most of the time they are at the beginning of the song, but sometimes might be played again after the chorus.

Rhythm/chord prog. style: My rhythm style is not very unique they are typical for the genre of music, but I try to give each song a different mood to the chord progression.

Solo style: First off, I usually write very short solos. There is a solo in about 50% of the songs I wrote, most of them aren't very long. Most are somewhere under a minute, but if it is any longer, it is because it would be fitting to the song. The solos are melodic for almost the whole time, there can be a little bit of fast playing in it just as a transition to another melody.

I am definately more of a lead player than a rhyhtm player, the only chords I can play well are power chords, I can't play full chords for ****.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Mar 22, 2009,
Page 1 of 2