So yesterday I was practicing some stuff with my guitar not pluggedto the amp and I heard some strange sounds coming from the guitar. At first I thought I was imagining stuff, but now I can't stop hearing it. It's like a droning on the notes on every string until the 12th fret or something, but the strange thing is that, for example, the A string on the 14th fret does it as well. So I'm not sure on whether something's wrong with my guitar or if my hearing's the problem. Anyone got a clue on what this might be?

EDIT: There are no noises if I plug it in.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Garci at Mar 22, 2009,
What the heck is droning...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
I couldn't think of a better word. Hell, I don't think I can even explain it. It's like a metallish sound, in the background, atonal with the note I'm playing. Can't blame you for asking, I hadn't even heard of anything like it before. The word just sounded right from somewhere.

EDIT: droning: To make a continuous low dull humming sound. Kind of right I guess.
Look!

it's either the hardware that makes the note ring (i get that on my strat), or the string part behind the nut rings, or you have an incredible hearing and you're hearing the atonal overtones from the notes you play.

EDIT: it's low pitched in that case, i haven't got a clue.
An Epi Les Paul Standard, around 3 years old. I've had fret buzz before, but it isn't a buzzing of sorts, it's a lot lower than the buzz I used to get. It's on many frets as well.

EDIT:
Quote by The red Strat.
it's either the hardware that makes the note ring (i get that on my strat), or the string part behind the nut rings, or you have an incredible hearing and you're hearing the atonal overtones from the notes you play.

EDIT: it's low pitched in that case, i haven't got a clue.

I checked on the hardware, the notes disappear as soon as I get my ears close to the body. Same goes for the neck. I doubt I have an incredible hearing, my brother heard it as well. I think you might be right on that it might be a string thing, but I got them less than a month ago, so I don't want to go changing them just now.
Look!

^I can hear over tones. They shouldn't "drone"

I'm thinking it's either fret buzz or something metal is loose and is vibrating with the body, like the truss rod or something.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by Garci
An Epi Les Paul Standard, around 3 years old. I've had fret buzz before, but it isn't a buzzing of sorts, it's a lot lower than the buzz I used to get. It's on many frets as well.

Wiggle the posts on your bridge and tailpiece, do they move?
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by Slone
Wiggle the posts on your bridge and tailpiece, do they move?

Nope , fixed in place. Changed the pickup selector's position as well, so that's probably not it. How can I check on the truss rod?
Look!

Quote by Garci
Nope , fixed in place. Changed the pickup selector's position as well, so that's probably not it. How can I check on the truss rod?

I wouldn't suggest messing with the truss rod. If the sound doesn't affect playability for now I'd just let it be. If its not fret buzz the only thing I can think of that would cause a low pitch buzzing noise is something metal vibrating with the body. Just made sure everything is screwed in properly, and get it checked out by a pro if you can.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
check the little nuts at the base of the tuners. see if they are fully tightened.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Ok, thanks a lot for the help . I'll have it checked as soon as I can, and if anything arises I'll post here.

EDIT:
Quote by Lemoninfluence
check the little nuts at the base of the tuners. see if they are fully tightened.

Yes they are. I started checking on everything metal though, and the input jack is rather loose. I'll have to check on that.
Look!

My Kimaxe does this on the open A string, always has since I bought it. It's got an OFR so the equipment isn't cheap on it. If somebody could figure out what was going on with my Kimaxe and the TS's Epi....

TS: I know exactly what you're talking about, it's hard to explain. It gets annoying sometimes, almost like a whiny version of the note you're playing. But you can only hear it unplugged, it's so weird/annoying lol
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
My Kimaxe does this on the open A string, always has since I bought it. It's got an OFR so the equipment isn't cheap on it. If somebody could figure out what was going on with my Kimaxe and the TS's Epi....

TS: I know exactly what you're talking about, it's hard to explain. It gets annoying sometimes, almost like a whiny version of the note you're playing. But you can only hear it unplugged, it's so weird/annoying lol

If you think that's annoying, in my room, any guitar or instrument or music I play/listen to, a G is always twice as loud as anything else. Especially the fifteenth fret of the e-string on my guitars. I've gotten used to it by now, but I swear it's there. And this is with a lot of different guitar/amp setups, and it's not there in any place other than my room. (You can do this in your restroom too, I think. Sing some notes, and there's bound to be one that is twice as loud, and the same note a few octaves lower should be half the sound. Yay for sonic frequencies and physics! \o/)

Right, enough with that, and to the TS's question... it's an LP, but there wouldn't be any tremolo springs in the back, perchance?
In all seriousness, try dampening the strings between the fretted note(s) and the nut, like wrap a towel around the neck, or hold them with your free hand. These things can cause a lot of annoying (unplugged) sounds, trhough the same principal as a regular hammer-on on the frets.
Edit: also, quite obviously, they don't come through plugged in, because they aren't vibrating in any sort of magnetic field.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 22, 2009,
Well, thanks everyone for your help, but I started hearing the same thing with people's voices. So I had it checked out by an ear doctor and it turns out I had wax plugs in my ears . The guitar is fine
Look!

Quote by Garci
Well, thanks everyone for your help, but I started hearing the same thing with people's voices. So I had it checked out by an ear doctor and it turns out I had wax plugs in my ears . The guitar is fine

Wow.

Just... wow. Get your brother to check his ears as well, then.
Yeah, I know. Couldn't believe it myself either. Turns out my father gets lots of those as well, stupid genetics.

And either my brother was pulling my leg or he's gone batshit insane. Personally I'd vote for the second choice.
Look!

Quote by KiraIBZ
What the heck is droning...

Just imagine listening to Lar's snare for hours on end. It has the same effect.