Page 5 of 9
Legato
Dream Theater--Lies In The Sand

That should be lines in the sand
Obviously Fassa.
FREEPOWER okay way to be a douchebag about it... if you want answer you got to step out and ask. myob

NIGHTWOLF I love that you ask for help anonymously and then tell me to mind my own business. If you want an answer then you go to the right place for that answer. I don't run into my local pubs and yell loudly that I'm interested in buying some ice cream.

Although I can imagine that if a bouncer pointed me towards an ice cream stand, I would probably have politely gone over and got my ice cream instead of calling him a douchebag and getting a warning.

Ed: Or indeed, getting a second warning. See you in 30.
I don't have a ton of time here to do a proper search to see if it's in here:

But a GREAT place to find exercises to help you shred away (eventually) is Steve Vai's 30 Hour Work Out (yes 30 hours!, that's no typo ).
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
@ nighttwolf
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
oi for sweep picking
nevermore-this godless endeavor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqwoOcRMyw
edit:great work on the compilation of tabs and all that stuff on the click me link
i can finally follow with tabs some paul gibert and romeo stuff when watching the vids on youtube
tnx man
2nd edit:for more sweeps lots of stuff from jeff loomis solo album has it
um jato unit and miles of machines of the top of my head and there are tabs available on ug
Last edited by metalheadblues at Jul 23, 2010,
I STRONGLY suggest you add Leper Messiah - Metallica to the sweep picking list. The solo really helped me get started with sweep picking.
hey thanks man !!!
but i need someone to define me the terms you used like hybrid picking , taping etc etc . . .
i know nothing about this . . . plz
Quote by flexer
hey thanks man !!!
but i need someone to define me the terms you used like hybrid picking , taping etc etc . . .
i know nothing about this . . . plz
Google them, or look in the sticky. YouTube can also be useful if you find the right video. There's plenty of information around the internet.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Or you could just find the MAB Instructional Vid's and save yourself all the trouble...
Everything is divisible by metal- Michael Angel Batio
Just some Recommendations:

Alt/Eco: Al Di Meola: Race With the Devil on a Spanish Highway
Sonata Arctica: Wolf and Raven
Dream Theater:The Test That Stumped Them All
Even though you put asterisks in, you think you could edit in a category of (works on everything)? YOu could put songs like No Boundaries, and the Caprices, and others..

Does anyone know another shred tune that would be good for all (or a lot of) the techniques? Maybe like Far Beyond the Sun or such?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Nile - Lashed to the slavestick

good practise for some serious alternate picking, and stringhops.
there a good order to learn this in? going to try and relearn everything and a good order to learn everything in this sticky would be helpful thanks
No, not really. I wouldn't expect anyone to learn all this stuff either, exercises are for solving specific technique problems, and you should really only learn the songs you like.
Hmm that sucks but thanks guess ill try and figure out what i should learn
Freepower, might it be worth adding a downpicking section to the OP? I've seen a few threads on it nowadays but I can't point them here as there's no section on it. I'll gladly compile a list of decent songs myself if need be...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ok, I've got a list of downpicking songs, I've tried to cover a lot of ground with these: as many levels of difficulty and genres as possible so there's everything here from shred to modern rock to balls-out death metal:

A7X - Unholy Confessions
Metallica - Blackened, Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), [any number of other songs]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Arch Enemy - Nemesis
The Black Dahlia Murder - Funeral Thirst
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Demons & Wizards - Dorian, Beneath These Waves
Strapping Young Lad - Aftermath
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Ihsahn - Frozen Lakes On Mars
Killswitch Engage - Rose of Sharyn, My Curse, My Last Serenade
Kyuss - Green Machine
Machine Head - Aesthetics of Hate
Mastodon - Blood and Thunder
Mr. Big - Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy (The Electric Drill Song)
My Chemical Romance - Ghost of You
Nevermore - The Psalm of Lydia
Nightwish - Nemo
Paul Gilbert - SVT
Psycroptic - Ob(Servant)
Rise Against - Voices Off Camera
Septic Flesh - Sangreal
Slayer - Raining Blood, [any number of other songs]
Slipknot - Surfacing, Vermillion (Part 1), Gematria (The Killing Name), [any number of other songs]
Trivium - Ember to Inferno, Declaration, Anthem (We Are The Fire), [any number of other songs]

It's not really in any kind of order because there's a lot to consider, some of it is pure stamina stuff, some of it is a big technique workout because it's more complex and some of it's just some simpler chord work for beginners but almost anyone wanting to work on it should find what they want in the list somewhere.

Can I also suggest we add these to the hybrid picking list which is somewhat sparse as it is:

Bumblefoot - Real, Guitars Still Suck
Mastodon - Divinations
Brett Garsed - Undoing

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
Cheers, added. ^_^

Just trying to make life on the forum that bit easier

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
another good one for tapping is "the root of all evil" by dream theater. there is a bit just before the keyboard solo that has some good tapping in it
I downloaded all the zipped guitar pro files. When i go to guitar pro 6 and click ''open'' i can find the folder, but it's empty. Anyone knows how to fix it?

When i go to ''my files'' (not on GP6), they are all there, but not on gp6... Dumb question, but do i need to unzipp them, and how? (As you might notice, i am a litte noob whith computers and stuff)...

If i open the folder whith the zipped files first, then open gp6, and dragg them over, its just error
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Dec 14, 2010,
So if someone were to tier these on a 1 -5 scale (1 = easiest 5 = hardest) would you repost them tiered?

I know they're not currently in order, but trying something beyond ones current abilities doesn't exactly help.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Quote by rlheart
So if someone were to tier these on a 1 -5 scale (1 = easiest 5 = hardest) would you repost them tiered?

I know they're not currently in order, but trying something beyond ones current abilities doesn't exactly help.

+1 would be helpful if someone bothered with it

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by rlheart

It's really not that simple though, it's very difficult to categorise songs like that because different songs focus more on different things.

For example the downpicking section I compiled: the songs work on different things a lot, like Aftermath isn't massively fast compared to some of the others and it not complex at all but it's a challenge in terms of pure stamina, Frozen Lakes on Mars is fast but also has a quite complex downpicked section compared to a lot of the others, Rose of Sharyn isn't very complicated or hugely fast but towards the end there's some big string skips...

You just have to look at the tabs and figure out what you can and can't do. Not only that but different people will find different things hard anyway due to what they've practiced, for example I can play Rose of Sharyn pretty flawlessly all the way through but Dorian is more of a challenge because it just needs more stamina and so on.

Also: Freepower: I move to have All New Materials by Periphery added to the chords section, if only to have some more complex chord work included in a more metal context. Oh and anything by Animals As Leaders while I think about it. Modern Meat would be a good choice I think.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 24, 2010,
Quote by Usernames sucks
I see glasgow kiss by john petrucci is listed under alternate picking, but isn't it mostly sweeps? Looks like it on the tab. :/

Petrucci alternate picks 99% of everything he does. Just because something is one note per string doesn't mean it's sweep picking.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWXpHl9sGk

It should probably be noted that these songs work on these techniques if you play them in the same way as the original artist. If you either re-finger them or pick them differently it'll obviously work on different skills.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Petrucci alternate picks 99% of everything he does. Just because something is one note per string doesn't mean it's sweep picking.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWXpHl9sGk

It should probably be noted that these songs work on these techniques if you play them in the same way as the original artist. If you either re-finger them or pick them differently it'll obviously work on different skills.

^This^

The whole song is pretty much alternate picked apart from one sweep and some tapping
For alternate picking Disposable Heroes(Metallica) and the Megadeth song Kill The King has a pretty similar riff.
Last edited by poisonousmetal at Jan 11, 2011,
Hey what's the folder labeled "virus files" in the thousands of exercises pack?