Page 1 of 3
it seems to me that today's movies and shows are afraid to deal with anything controversial.
no death, no sadness, no REAL problems outside of "omg, I don't have cool clothes" or whatever.

I think that cartoons and movies today are trying way to hard to be completely PC and "children friendly", and thus have lost the edge and touch that made the old movies great.

discuss.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 22, 2009,
i dunno. i grew up with thundercats transformers, terminator predator etc i guess im a bit of a psycho. seems like the gratuatous violence and stuff has moved to the computer games and they have access to the internet anyway.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by DegaMeth
i dunno. i grew up with thundercats transformers, terminator predator etc i guess and a bit of a psycho

Yeah, and you can't even compare today's cartoons to those shows. What's to blame?
Kids are pussies.

Or that is what Disneychannel has made them into.

I guess the ages where superheroes and stuff rule the TV is over.
DeVillains!
Yeah. We had things like The Lion King to teach us about death and hyenas, they've got Finding Nemo to teach them about fish escaping from tanks.
i blame the jonas brothers
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.

harryberg1's phone number :401-787-3317
Kids cartoons preceeding the nicktoons era were pretty much garbage designed to sell toys--transformers, GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, Mario, etc.

A lot of the kids programing today is actually thoughful and well made, I love watching Flapjack and Chowder for example. Of course there's still a lot of garbage out there to, but we're really in a golden age of cartoons--much much much better off than the cartoons of the late 70s through the early 90s.
Yeah, But that'll change when they get older, because the elder movie industry is getting more violent. I like to think of it being a scale that embalances the kids movies and the adult movies.
Quote by filthandfury
Yeah. We had things like The Lion King to teach us about death and hyenas, they've got Finding Nemo to teach them about fish escaping from tanks.

"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts..."
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts..."

yeah, I mean isn't that song originally about boobs?

see, in old movies there were jokes for kids AND adults, nowadays kids stuff is just a bunch of yelling, running and preaching.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Kids cartoons preceeding the nicktoons era were pretty much garbage designed to sell toys--transformers, GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, Mario, etc.

A lot of the kids programing today is actually thoughful and well made, I love watching Flapjack and Chowder for example. Of course there's still a lot of garbage out there to, but we're really in a golden age of cartoons--much much much better off than the cartoons of the late 70s through the early 90s.

NO! New cartoons are basically ****ty slapstick and fart jokes. Both of which are only entertaining to small children who can't comprehend even the most basic plots, who have attention spans of small fish.
I blame videogames
<_<
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Yeah I agree.

Everything is about 'Oh my god shopping!'
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Pingu used to be bad ****ing ass.
Now it seems like they've tried to make it more child friendly.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PISSING ON THE FLOOR!
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Pingu used to be bad ****ing ass.
Now it seems like they've tried to make it more child friendly.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PISSING ON THE FLOOR!

I loved that episode.
i don't completely agree.

i watched ice age 2 (rated U, for kids) and was shocked when they said the word crap.

but kid's shows are just boring and repetitive now, which is why i only really watch spongebob and the simpsons now.

the good old days of nickelodeon and cartoon network's primes are gone and are never coming back.

Quote by CoreysMonster

see, in old movies there were jokes for kids AND adults, nowadays kids stuff is just a bunch of yelling, running and preaching.

toy story and a bug's life has some good ones
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by El Gigante
NO! New cartoons are basically ****ty slapstick and fart jokes. Both of which are only entertaining to small children who can't comprehend even the most basic plots, who have attention spans of small fish.

Watch a transformers or ninja turtles episode, then watch a good nick toon or something new like Flapjack. The difference is distinct, one is just meaningless junk put together to sell toys, the other is something cartoonists and writers actually got the freedom to properly create.

The old cartoons had plots, yes, but they were formulaic plots that were the exact same every episode--little kids liked them the way they like hearing the same bed time story over and over again--they like knowing exactly what is going to happen. That's not really comprehension so much as memorization, and that's not all that much better than most of the bad stuff today.

I said there is still plenty of garbage out there, but there's a lot more good stuff today than there was before the 90s. That's part of why adult cartoons are becoming so popular.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Touché!
You like it
I think they are. Especially all the godawful ones with talking dogs that kids go nuts over because "OMG ITS LIEK A TALKNG DOG!!!1!!!11!!"
Quote by GrungeJunkie
I think they are. Especially all the godawful ones with talking dogs that kids go nuts over because "OMG ITS LIEK A TALKNG DOG!!!1!!!11!!"

"He's Oodles! Oodles the talking...poodle!"
e-cookie for the reference.
Quote by The_Paranoia
"He's Oodles! Oodles the talking...poodle!"
e-cookie for the reference.

rugrats

fr33 c00k13 pl0x

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by The_Paranoia

This show has made me lose all hope in cartoons.
Clicky for info

Oh wai....

This one too.

Clickly again

Both of those shows are Canadian, We're are truly very very sorry.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Quote by Arch Enemy 65

the world will forgive you for that, but we will never forgive you for Avril Lavigne
Quote by Arch Enemy 65

Damn well should be. They placed those shows where Spongebob was!
i love spongebob's older episodes. the newer stuff isn't as good. the movie put an end to the quality imo.

CHOCOLATE!

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Watch a transformers or ninja turtles episode, then watch a good nick toon or something new like Flapjack. The difference is distinct, one is just meaningless junk put together to sell toys, the other is something cartoonists and writers actually got the freedom to properly create.

The old cartoons had plots, yes, but they were formulaic plots that were the exact same every episode--little kids liked them the way they like hearing the same bed time story over and over again--they like knowing exactly what is going to happen. That's not really comprehension so much as memorization, and that's not all that much better than most of the bad stuff today.

I said there is still plenty of garbage out there, but there's a lot more good stuff today than there was before the 90s. That's part of why adult cartoons are becoming so popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-U1iyOV46s

Loud, obnoxious, and extremely predictable. I didn't find it too funny or entertaining in the least. I don't know if you think you are a not conformist/ anti-consumerist hero that is trying to boycott your own perceived idea of product placement, but shows such as Transformers and Thundercats brought to the table interesting plots, character development, and intense action sequences that enthralled viewers and secured an undeniably large fan-base because of it.
EARTHWORM JIM! That was always my favorite when I was young
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by El Gigante
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-U1iyOV46s

Loud, obnoxious, and extremely predictable. I didn't find it too funny or entertaining in the least. I don't know if you think you are a not conformist/ anti-consumerist hero that is trying to boycott your own perceived idea of product placement, but shows such as Transformers and Thundercats brought to the table interesting plots, character development, and intense action sequences that enthralled viewers and secured an undeniably large fan-base because of it.

I don't care about the marketing, I care about the ****ty animation, voice acting, and writing. THe people making those cartoons had to crank them out to sell merc, and for the most part the cartoons suffered because of it. Nothing inherently wrong with having a commercial cartoon, the problem was very little art went into the cartoons.

There's a lot more to a cartoon that character and plot, as important as those things are. If that was the case you could just read a plot and character summary and get the same sense of enjoyment out of it as watching the show. I won't deny that the emphasis in cartoons has changed, but where plots may be half as involved, things like art style are improved five fold. It's giving kids something different and different doesn't mean inferior. I think a lot more time and effort is spent on the good cartoons being produced today and it shows when comparing them to the old shows.

Sit and objectively watch an episode instead of defensively watching a youtube clip and you might enjoy it. Might not, but you can't argue that it's crappily put together (like the shows in the screen shots above). You can't argue that the animation, voice acting, and writing isn't superior to 95% of the 80s cartoons.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I don't care about the marketing, I care about the ****ty animation, voice acting, and writing. THe people making those cartoons had to crank them out to sell merc, and for the most part the cartoons suffered because of it. Nothing inherently wrong with having a commercial cartoon, the problem was very little art went into the cartoons.

There's a lot more to a cartoon that character and plot, as important as those things are. If that was the case you could just read a plot and character summary and get the same sense of enjoyment out of it as watching the show. I won't deny that the emphasis in cartoons has changed, but where plots may be half as involved, things like art style are improved five fold. It's giving kids something different and different doesn't mean inferior. I think a lot more time and effort is spent on the good cartoons being produced today and it shows when comparing them to the old shows.

Sit and objectively watch an episode instead of defensively watching a youtube clip and you might enjoy it. Might not, but you can't argue that it's crappily put together (like the shows in the screen shots above). You can't argue that the animation, voice acting, and writing isn't superior to 95% of the 80s cartoons.

this is absolutely true. I cant STAND cartoons like Thundercats, Transformers or all the other crap that was churned out in the 80's. I grew up with Ren and Stimpy, Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold and AAaaah Real monsters.

None of the new Nick cartoons even come CLOSE to what they used to be, and the same goes for every other cartoon company, like Disney, Warner Brothers, Nickolodeon and Cartoon Network.
Quote by CoreysMonster
this is absolutely true. I cant STAND cartoons like Thundercats, Transformers or all the other crap that was churned out in the 80's. I grew up with Ren and Stimpy, Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold and AAaaah Real monsters.

None of the new Nick cartoons even come CLOSE to what they used to be, and the same goes for every other cartoon company, like Disney, Warner Brothers, Nickolodeon and Cartoon Network.

I remember all of those, great shows, especially ren and stimpy (earthworm jim is still the best though )
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
I heard the other day that a large portion of Family Guy viewers are kids 6-14.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Oh, how I wish the old nicktoons were still on air.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
I remember watching Pannichio when I was a kid, and it was ****ING TERRIFYIN, but it made me into the man I am today.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Yes Corey is Right that why we need Gundam and DBZ Back.
Actually on second thought we still have one that deals with the things you speak.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Mar 22, 2009,
Page 1 of 3