hi every1
i wanted to ask that if you want to pick fast and shred on the electric guitar, should you use a little bit of your arm and a little of your wrist?

or is using the arm bad... because i use just a bit for only really fast things.

please answer, thank you!
You should use your wrist. I find myself using a tiny bit of my forearm when doing really fast parts, but I used to tense my whole arm up. Which isn't the right technique.
Just the wrist, but don't anchor (or keep your hand on the guitar). It's a bad habit to get into.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by guitarmax42
Mainly using your arm is fine as long as you're tremolo picking or possibly sweeping. for everything else using your wrist is the best way to go.

Isn't it, arm for chords, wrist for single notes? (AKA wrist for tremolo picking aswell)
Quote by oneblackened
Just the wrist, but don't anchor (or keep your hand on the guitar). It's a bad habit to get into.

but anchoring, as ive read, unless you have a small hand anchoring can be pretty useful and beneficial.. because otherwise if you dont anchor, you use all your strenght to keep your palm a bit above the bridge.. but

if you have a big hand.. and anchor, your hand just rests normally and you dont take tension to keep your palm above the bridge.

petrucci does it..

paul boiz is the only guitarist i know who doesnt anchor, but look at howmany mistakes he makes live and in all his videos.. and howmuch tension he actually takes to play somethings..

yngwie all anchor because they have big and flexible hands.. and dude you have to touch the guitar to play it.. with the picking hand..
Look at Vai and Gilbert. They're far more relaxed than Petrucci when they do speed picking as they don't anchor.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
and yet another anchoring argument. To be honest its all personal preference, Micheal Angelo Batio plays amazingly and anchors and picks from the arm as does Petrucci. I find it helps stability, although it can cause RSI apparently.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I have to say its both. You don't want to lock your arm, you don't want to lock your wrist. On single notes it will be more in the wrist, in chords it will be more in the arm. Don't lock either, things need to be natural and have a flow not a swipe.
Quote by oneblackened

lies

anchor if you will.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
You'd probably get better tone from guitar picks, rather than playing the guitar with the soft skin on your arm.

Better accuracy too.
Above post may or may not be true.
zakk wylde doesnt anchor. he never messes up, but then again, he uses all his fingers and plays guitar like a banjo sometimes.

paul gilbert says to always use your wrist. Says the wrist can build speed that is faster than the arm can build. i dont argue with him.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack