Page 1 of 2
Alright, I have played drums on the game "Rock Band" and "Rock Band 2" for a long time. I even bought cymbals for the game peripheral, and I'm pretty good at it. My dad has played real drums since he was 9 years old (thats a good 40 years) and I was asked to join a band as a drummer. My dad learned it all by ear as I have, and he's kinda tipping me every now and then. Alright, I know this is a guitar site, but I was looking for opinions on whether this is a decent switch. I am awesome on the guitar on Rock Band, but I don't know $#it on real guitar. But the thing is, drums seems a little more realistic, just theres no action for one foot.

Plus, I learn songs by ear. I can play a lot of Nirvana songs from "Nevermind" on real drums and for my band, I should know "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I can play the song fairly well, just by ear. Do you think I should learn drum tabs?

I'm excited about joining musicians who wanna jam occasionally, but the problem is, am I cut out for drumming, because I was addicted to Rock Band ever since it came out, and got really good?(I play expert drums, and can play just about every song out of the 360 songs i have.)

Just looking for opinions on the "validity" of the game and real drumming, and if theoretically would a band leader let one such as myself join?

NOTE: So far, I have played real drums about 7 times in my dad's studio and sessions are no more than an hour, so yeah... small number, but can unofficially play 7+ songs.
just remember that there's no visual cue to keep you on time or tell you what drum to hit when you're playing in real life.

but rhythm is rhythm. if you can kick it on rock band, you're probably ahead of the game already when it comes to real drums.
(Almost) everyone can be a great drummer, even if they would suck with drums in rock band. Fact is, it seems you can also play drums fairly good for someone who hasn't played alot on a real kit. I say, buy a kit, practice, join the band. Good luck dude
Quote by frigginjerk
just remember that there's no visual cue to keep you on time or tell you what drum to hit when you're playing in real life.

but rhythm is rhythm. if you can kick it on rock band, you're probably ahead of the game already when it comes to real drums.

Wtf you been here since 2002? Holy ****. Haha. I can't play drums for ****. I just can't seem to keep rhythm, but if you can keep up with it, go for it. No point in not trying.
Nothing wrong with trying. As long as the people who asked you know about everything youve just said then im sure they wont mind. but tbh you should just get your self a real kit. even if its an electric one for practice. I suppose Rock Band drumming is slightly related to real drumming in a way. Of course with no theory or creativity of your own.
the drums on rock band and now gh: world tour must be the most realistic aspect of the video games. the expert mode on both games make it very realistic with the similar amount of beats. i'd say that if you were to really convert fro rock band drums to actual drums full time, i think it'd be a pretty smooth transition if you can remember the timing really well.
Thanks guys I got my first band practice in 4 hours or so. I think I'm alright at keeping a beat, but I play with either the PA on or put headphones on, and I never tried playing "live" along with other people making music that won't sound exactly how I play. My dad has two sets, so I won't have to buy another set(One has 8 cymbals lol). I told my bandmates-to-be that I played Rock Band 2 on drums very well and it seems they just really want a drummer, or at least equipment to get rid of their terrible singer... The singer is TERRIBLE! I can sing better than him underwater. The guitarist is pretty sick along with the bassist.

Just hope I can keep the beat.
Drums in rock band are great for teaching real drums. Guitar is the opposite.
The drum trainer is kinda cool, I got at least half of the beat types on 180 BPM.

Also, I think the problem with Rock Band on Expert drums is that it makes your foot spaz to do a double kick pedal on a single pedal. That is either a good thing, or a very bad thing. When paying some songs, my foot just goes crazy.
Go and buy that Ion Drum Kit or w/e it's called...it's an electronic drum kit made for use with Rock Band and as a stand alone drum kit. I suggest this because it's meant to be used as a actual drum set and you can learn the rock band songs on it better. It's an arm and a leg though =/
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
if u can play a couple songs go for it dude
P.S. this is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R
Rockband's drums are fairly useful to a starting drummer, and they actually have alot of realistic traits, they can help with with timing, rhythm and even fills, because the game is so percise with the timing window, being able to do tough fills and fast parts in the game really helps your precision on real drums.
Rock band has absolutely nothing to do with actual music. Most of the good musicians I know are horrible at that game.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Rock band has absolutely nothing to do with actual music.

Sorry, Sophist, but that's a really ignorant statement. The drumming part of RB and GH is spot on (ignoring the limited amount of pads to hit).
The guitar and bass are questionable, although I did see some speed improvement in my hands after playing on expert for a while. If I practiced on a real guitar, I probably would've gotten the same speed boost though.
I haven't had any experience with the singing part, but I have friends who would vouch for it.

Back on subject, I would say the TS has a great chance at becoming an amazing drummer especially with support from his dad. I can't wait to hear some more updates from him.
Jesus loves you.
By all means you should go for it, assuming your dad still has a kit and would let you play it.
Well...yes and no. Rock band is the drumming equivalent of tapping beats on your thighs with the palms of your hands. It builds a sense of rhythm, but it will hardly do anything for you on a real set.

The above is spoken as a bassist and part drummer.

But this shouldnt discourage you from learning in anyway.
go for it. its always good to start a new instrument and get serious with it.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
I don't know if rock band would be any help any anything other then timing, I say try it since you like it. and if you get good you'll have a lot more opportunities to get with a band because drummers are the ones most bands have trouble finding.

also, don't go by tabs for drums... that's just wrong.
This could be an isolated incident but my friend has learned all of his drumming skills on rock band/GH. While it's definately the most accurate of all the instruments in my opinion the conversion is different. He can bang on the drums and pull of some cool fills etc but in terms of keeping time and basic 4/4 its difficult. I've noticed a lot with rock band/Gh that the drums aren't always synchronized with the actual rhythm of the song. For challenge they add more and they add less.

However, that beiing said it's definately a great tool and has helped him and I'm sure it will with you. Just do it man and you'll be good.
^No, the drums on expert are pretty much perfect with the song, as in, they don't miss any hits, the only thing they take out is fast double bass rolls and such, because they're impossible with one bass pedal.
How'd the practice go?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Decapped
Sorry, Sophist, but that's a really ignorant statement. The drumming part of RB and GH is spot on (ignoring the limited amount of pads to hit).
The guitar and bass are questionable, although I did see some speed improvement in my hands after playing on expert for a while. If I practiced on a real guitar, I probably would've gotten the same speed boost though.
I haven't had any experience with the singing part, but I have friends who would vouch for it.

Back on subject, I would say the TS has a great chance at becoming an amazing drummer especially with support from his dad. I can't wait to hear some more updates from him.

Not only are the drums off time for every song I've played on that game, but it is actually counter-intuitive. There are only five buttons (or something like that) in that game, which means there has to be some switch when the song has more than 5 (or six) intervals in it, which most of music does. So your brain and ears will be thinking the buttons to press should keep going right when they start over or back down.

This game is almost as annoying as people that say they are sorry when they are confronting someone.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
As has been said, he's not learning the song's through the game, he's just asking if being able to play on Expert on Rock Band 1/2 will help him as a drummer. Even if the rhythm is a bit off from the songs, its maybe, what, a half a second off? Even then all of the notes are the same bit off, so he's still playing the right rhythm. And the buttons have nothing to do with it. It's all about his rhythm/timing, not what to hit when.

And he's not asking if practicing on Rock Band will help him between practices. He's going to be using a real set and metronome to practice.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Last edited by Jango22 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by The_Sophist
Not only are the drums off time for every song I've played on that game, but it is actually counter-intuitive. There are only five buttons (or something like that) in that game, which means there has to be some switch when the song has more than 5 (or six) intervals in it, which most of music does. So your brain and ears will be thinking the buttons to press should keep going right when they start over or back down.

This game is almost as annoying as people that say they are sorry when they are confronting someone.

http://www.rockband.com/support#calibration1
Calibrate the game and it will fix any timing issues...

Secondly, this game is only meant to allow the user to pretend to be a real musician (hence the lack of buttons). It is not meant to teach a full course of music theory.

Lastly, I say sorry to prevent anyone from being offended. It obviously doesn't work on people that are easily offended though.
Jesus loves you.
Being good at drums in Rock Band is no indication as to whether you'll be any good at playing real drums. All it is is pressing buttons in sequence, the fact you sit and hold 2 plastic sticks whilst playing it doesn't mean a thing.
Is playing real drums hugely different from that, though? Replace the buttons with drum heads, and BAM, drums. Guitar, on the other hand, is nowhere near what real guitar is like, but drums (and possibly vocals) are fairly realistic in the games.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Alright, the practice - It went surprisingly well, learned their original in about an hour (still knida flaky on it though) and sucked at Teen Spirit, somewhat because I could hear the singer sing at all, and he didnt sing in sync with the rest of us, so I was stuck stopping in order to hear the kid every now and then. It was a fun experience

btw to the people saying rock band is a 1/2 second off, you oughta calibrate the game to your TV and sound system. Hell of a lot better. One problem I was facing, for sure, was how long to do a specific beat for. One part to practice on.

oh yeah, they drumsticks aren't plastic. They are real drumsticks, just they are very light, and skinny, some with nylon tips.
Last edited by Sitkemkev at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Being good at drums in Rock Band is no indication as to whether you'll be any good at playing real drums. All it is is pressing buttons in sequence, the fact you sit and hold 2 plastic sticks whilst playing it doesn't mean a thing.

... YES IT DOES. That's what this entire thread is about. Rock Band, at the very least, builds up your sense of rhythm, and the entire stick-holding trouble people sometimes have. You do have to adjust to additional bounce from the real drums, but it's still helpful in the overall.

I can say that playing Expert Guitar on GH helped my rhythm tons. My ability to keep a rhythm is better than any guitarist I know that's playing for about as much time as I have, and this translated to rock band drums as well, and sort of real ones too (This one time, a couple friends brought their guitars over. I booted up RB2, put on drum freestyle mode, which basically lets you do whatever you want with a snare, ride, crash, tom and a pedal, and we pulled off some nice stuff with me drumming)
Hey Kevin. I was waiting to see what you would say about the practice. It's Dylan XD.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Decapped
Lastly, I say sorry to prevent anyone from being offended. It obviously doesn't work on people that are easily offended though.

Sorry about that part, was having a bad day. Anyways, I truly believe that starting from scratch would be a better option than getting bad habits on rock band then switching to a real instrument.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
What bad habits, though? He kept rhythm really well, and just needs to work on composing drums, and maybe a bit of music theory to understand note values and such.
I saw no bad habits, just things that pretty much any drummer (who already can keep a beat) should learn.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
What bad habits, though? He kept rhythm really well, and just needs to work on composing drums, and maybe a bit of music theory to understand note values and such.
I saw no bad habits, just things that pretty much any drummer (who already can keep a beat) should learn.

I actually learnt time signatures and note lengths through guitar hero XD
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Wtf you been here since 2002? Holy ****. Haha. I can't play drums for ****. I just can't seem to keep rhythm, but if you can keep up with it, go for it. No point in not trying.

haha hes the first guy i'v seen who beats me in time here at UG but yeah ya might get some advantages from rock band but just get a drum kit and try it out
Equipment
Carlo Robelli SG (Circa 1970's?)
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Master Switch/PowerSuppy
Boss Equalizer
im sure it would help quite a bit, you'd be surprised. i played ddr religiously for 3 years before starting drums. it helped so much with timing and everything - you wouldnt believe it. double bass is a cake walk. but building up chops for creative fills and learning things like moeller technique, finger control, paradiddle grooves, dynamics, etc. is still very hard, it won't help in that sense. as far as the basics go, that should come very quickly.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
My brother plays the unholy hell outta that game, he's even rigged a real electronic drumset up to the ps3, he's ranked one of the best in the world.

He's a really good drummer, and he's hardly practiced on anything else.
I am in a real band and I also love rock band... it is fun, even tho it makes my eyes burn like hell because I forget to blink... but man it is fun and such a release from all the bs in the world. thank you lord for rock band... you have saved me many boring nights while my fingers bled from practicing all day and giving me the salvation to play drums!
LOL Thank Harmonix(game developer) for Rock Band. Oh and hey Dylan lol (hes the guitarist in the band). I oughta take Music Theory class sooner or later. I'd probably be able to play drums, or any other instrument more efficiently(I do have a guitar, but I can't do S#iT on it lol, just pluck a couple strings). Otherwise, going back to what this whole thread is about, from my experience, Rock Band DOES help on drumming skills, even rythm for any instrument. Of course, my situation has a guy thats been playing drums since 9 helping me AKA my dad, and not everyone has one of tose lying around in their living room lol. Oh yeah, playing freestyle on Rock Band 2 on PS3 relly helps get people the hang of real drumming too. bIt gives the basics on what drumming is all about, along with a cinch of flls, crazy beats and stuff. Looking forward to next practice!
Quote by BeastTheBand
Go and buy that Ion Drum Kit or w/e it's called...it's an electronic drum kit made for use with Rock Band and as a stand alone drum kit.

Pretty good suggestion right there, though I would still suggest a real kit for playing real drums and not the Ion (So if you've got extra money, go for the Ion as well), but if you bought cymbal peripherals, there probably isn't much difference as far as gaming goes between that and the Ion.

My band's drummer is sick at Rock Band drums as well as real drums (though he picked up real drums first), I'd say as far as drums go, it can help more than people would think but don't think of it as a product that will get you just as good at real drums as you are in-game. The notes/timing in-game also aren't as bad as people say, but yes it does give you a few extra ms to hit each note which could leave you off-timing in real drumming. If you figure out what each note corresponds to in the Rock Band song, you can sort-of learn the real version of song (If I remember, blue represents the tom-tom, the ride, and something else... block maybe?) We had a few friends at the house, our band plugged in our instruments and played a song the bassist and I knew for real, our drummer who only knew the Rock Band notes sat down at his kit and stared at the screen. I think the song was Snow (Hey Oh); 3 people played the song in Rock Band while the 3 of us played along for real, and the drums were pretty spot on. That's some fun stuff right there...
Page 1 of 2